C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did GM go with fiberglass for the vettes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 11:52 AM
hdhamou
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why did GM go with fiberglass for the vettes?

Just a little curious about why GM chose to go with a fiberglass body on the Corvette? Steel was pretty much the only metal that was used back then and helped the economy so much. Was it to be different or what? Im not complaining because if my body was steel I would be welding and grinding for a year.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:02 PM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a report about the history of the Corvette for a school project last year. I found the reason G.M. used fiberglass was because in their early testing of the car they accidently rolled one over and they were surprised at how little body damage it actually had and it was lighter than steel. Hope that helps.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:05 PM
Disco_Mike
Race Director

The corvettes at the 1952 autorama were concept cars. GM was experimenting with fiberglass, a new material at the time.
I assume the cars were so popular, GM decided to manufacture corvette.

GM was also trying to get into the small sports car market developing at the time. GI's returning from the war were driving MG and jags.

(please note: I have the right to state I dont know my rectum from a hole in the ground and may be totally wrong)
Old 07-31-2004, 12:24 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

My understanding is the show car was made out of fiberglass as it was a new exciting material at the time. When it came time for production the volume was expected to be very low so it cost less to make the cars out of fiberglass compared to develop the tooling for metal stampings. After a few years when volumes increased everyone was used to the car being fiberglass and it just kind of stuck.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:25 PM
VetteNut72
Pro

The compound curves and lines of the Vette were hard to produce in stamped steel and fiberglass was the answer. I'm not sure if weight had much to do with it, a fiberglass body is still very heavy.

Craig
Old 07-31-2004, 12:30 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fiberglass was cheaper for a limited production run...from there on they stuck with it.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:52 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VetteNut72
The compound curves and lines of the Vette were hard to produce in stamped steel and fiberglass was the answer. I'm not sure if weight had much to do with it, a fiberglass body is still very heavy.

Craig
I have to say your answer is the best. Think of trying to bend mold metal to make the humps on the front clip and fenders. Fiberglass is much easier to work with.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:54 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Look at the compound curves on cars of the same era, the curves on a C3 are not that hard to do at all. The only difficult thing would be the fender bumps and they could be made easily from 2 sections just like the fiberglass ones with their bonding strip. The upper panel would be stretched 7 shrunken into the shape and then a 2nd piece attaches to the side.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:57 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
Look at the compound curves on cars of the same era, the curves on a C3 are not that hard to do at all.
You may be right it's just that reason has been told to me for years. Any GM reps. out there? Speak up.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:42 PM
BBShark
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Bairs Corvettes sent me a bunch of information about the evolution of the Corvette, old articles from magazines and newspapers. Apparently Yogi Bair was a friend of the owner of MFG in Linesville (were Bair is located). MFG was the original manufacturer of the Corvette body.

I think if you call (814-683-4223) them, they will send you this information. They are super nice people who may know more about the history and restoration of Corvettes than anyone.

I think the C3 was made out of fiberglass because of tradition not because of the curves.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:58 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

the C3 isn't fiberglass
Old 07-31-2004, 03:32 PM
carl a
Safety Car

oh boy here we go again!
Old 07-31-2004, 03:37 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by carl a
oh boy here we go again!

But what year had that steelbody everyone talks about?
Old 07-31-2004, 03:44 PM
hdhamou
Advanced

Oh crap, I hope I didnt open up a can of worms
Old 07-31-2004, 04:28 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

I get people asking me all the time when I'm gunna put a fiberglass front end on my car to lighten it up.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:45 PM
toyvet1
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember reading one of the reason also include the wood bucks for fiberglass molds could be made a lot quicker than the two piece steel stamping dies could. They were on a short time schedule after motorama to get the Corvette into production....
Old 07-31-2004, 10:46 PM
79ls1
Racer

Lower tooling cost for the most part, but also weight savings and it was considered something of a "space age" material back then, so it was good for marketing. I remember seeing an old ad picture of a guy holding the floorpan section over his head. (No, I'm not that old)

Get notified of new replies

To Why did GM go with fiberglass for the vettes?

Old 08-01-2004, 02:09 AM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Wulf
the C3 isn't fiberglass
SMC
Old 08-01-2004, 03:24 AM
81' Corvette Guy
Burning Brakes

I have a magazine article on the 7 metal bodied corvettes created. If memory serves me well, they all were for racing..bunch of C2's I believe. Grand sport versions. I will get the article and scan it in the computer to share with you guys..will try to post on a server, but if it doesn't take, will someone host on their server for me? Got the magazine at work..will be going back sunday nite and will bring it home monday! Thanks Joe!

Last edited by 81' Corvette Guy; 08-01-2004 at 03:25 AM. Reason: update
Old 08-02-2004, 12:43 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A number of reasons:

1) Fiberglass was perceived as a new "space age" material at the time.

2) The tooling to stamp sheet metal parts requires multi-step dies to gradually draw the flat steel sheet into the deep drawn shape that most fenders and quarters have. This means that rather than one die, they must use three to four dies to get to the final shape. This means multiple dies are required for one part. Also multiply that by the number of stamping lines used for production and the need to keep spares on hand. All of these dies require routine maintenence too as they wear from stamping out all of those metal parts. Fiberglass solved this big tooling cost for GM. They only required one set of dies for each part and fiberglass molding involves very little die wear. In fact I believe the earliest cars were hand layed glass and then later used an inflatable bladder on the backside of the parts. They knew the Corvette would be a very limited production car and were not even sure how the public would accept it. Thus they were wary of investing big bucks on a gamble.

3) Lighter weight than sheet metal.

Quick Reply: Why did GM go with fiberglass for the vettes?