C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Tank installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 05:28 PM
1969Vette383
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gas Tank installation

I have a 1969 Corvette that is in project phase right now. I am currently trying to install a new gas tank. I've got the tank, tank anti-squeek pad, tank straps and strap anti-squeek pads.

Currently my tank is pushed into its place and is holding steady but is not correctly installed. How does one fit the tank in its place with the tank straps? Pictures would be a big help but are not absolutely necessary.

One of my hangups is that my '69 has the rear upper deck of the '78-'82 with the wraparound bubble rear window and bought a 1969L gas tank. Will this cause some issues? The gas filler hole is in different locations on cars with the flush rear deck than on cars with the bubble rear window.

Last edited by 1969Vette383; 08-11-2004 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:42 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Do you have a 69 assembly manual or a 69 Chev chassis service manual? They will help with some assembly illustrations. The tank install isn't too difficult, but with a revised filler location, you could be in for some headaches. You may have to fabricate a new filler tube...although I would be leaning towards re-installing the tunnel rear (removable) window...even with all that extra cost and/or effort.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:49 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by A C
Do you have a 69 assembly manual or a 69 Chev chassis service manual? They will help with some assembly illustrations. The tank install isn't too difficult, but with a revised filler location, you could be in for some headaches. You may have to fabricate a new filler tube...although I would be leaning towards re-installing the tunnel rear (removable) window...even with all that extra cost and/or effort.
Eddie70 recently installed a new tank in his 70. Perhaps he'll lend some tips.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:39 PM
crazcorkath
Instructor

I put a tank in my '72 and the bitch was getting the tank straps around it and into place, but once they were on it wasn't difficult at all.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:13 PM
1969Vette383
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by A C
Do you have a 69 assembly manual or a 69 Chev chassis service manual?
..although I would be leaning towards re-installing the tunnel rear (removable) window...even with all that extra cost and/or effort.
Yes, I believe I have the chassis service manual. I moved recently so I'll have to look for it.

I would love to reinstall the correct rear upper deck. I want that factory removable rear window back on the car, though I was hoping I could wait until a bit further down the road. If I must do this...? I'm afraid my car is down for at least 3-5 years on top of the 1.5 it has been down already. If I can work around that, maybe I can get back on the road by next summer.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:11 AM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The hold-down straps can be difficult to get into position so that the cinch bolts can be started. The rear frame crossmember has a cutout where the tank straps are bolted. While the body was off, I put the business end of the strap into the hole at an angle and use the flat end of a tire iron to lever it into place. Holding it in with the tire iron, I could start the bolts and finish the job. A similar approach will work with the body on, you will just have to find a lever that works for you. I can't help with the filler neck on your custom deck.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:20 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh boy - good to know it's going to be a pain in the rear to re-install!!

(See my post about trying to get the thing out...)
Old 08-12-2004, 10:46 AM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Um - I don't think it's going to work - stock - out of the box.

The rear frame and filler location changed drastically between
the 69-77 and 78-up styles. I think you will need the 78 tank
to work with the bubble glass rear. Of course, this will probably
mean modifications to the rear section of the frame.

There are a couple vettes in here that have the late style rear clip on
the early style C3 - but can't remember usernames.
I would put up a new post asking specifically for this.

Old 08-12-2004, 03:17 PM
1969Vette383
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z-man
Oh boy - good to know it's going to be a pain in the rear to re-install!!

(See my post about trying to get the thing out...)
Out? Out was easy for me. I unattached the tank straps and shimmied, shook, and contorted the tank into new positions and it pretty much came right down. Now I was working with modified parts and didn't stop to sight-see and make sure the tank was of early or late C3 style- crap! I threw it out a long time ago.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:20 PM
1969Vette383
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NHvette
Um - I don't think it's going to work - stock - out of the box.

The rear frame and filler location changed drastically between
the 69-77 and 78-up styles. I think you will need the 78 tank
to work with the bubble glass rear. Of course, this will probably
mean modifications to the rear section of the frame.

There are a couple vettes in here that have the late style rear clip on
the early style C3 - but can't remember usernames.
I would put up a new post asking specifically for this.

Yeah, you're right about the filler locations. In cars with the flat rear upper deck and the "tunnel window" ('68-'77) the filler is closer to the middle of the rear upper deck. With the bubble window taking that space, from '78-'82, the filler was moved to the back, as on a C4.

Oy this is going to suck. Looks like she's down for a decently long time.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:26 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Think there's a way to rig something up to get it running? It doesn't have to be perfect to enjoy driving it.

-Steve
Old 08-12-2004, 04:04 PM
Burgundy 69
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 69 L-46 coupe and have wondered how easy/difficult it would be to replace the gas tank. Along with an engine and carb swap, at some point the previous owner replaced the dual line tank with a single line version (presumeably to accomodate the new carb and fuel lines). As I rebuilt the engine to L-46 configuration, I discovered that the return line was capped off by the fuel pump and that the new tank did not have the return line.

I recently inherited a 76 L-48 that needs a tank and I am thinking of swapping out the tank in the 69 and buying a correct dual line tank for it.

Am I crazy??

Mark

Get notified of new replies

To Gas Tank installation

Quick Reply: Gas Tank installation