C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which cleaner best for degreasing suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 11:18 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Default which cleaner best for degreasing suspension

need to clean oily rear spring, some frame areas etc. what is best to do this....suspension parts are all off car. I thought maybe kerosene in big barrel or ???? thanks for imputs.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:23 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Castrol "Super Clean" works well but will take off paint if left on long enough. I did the whole underside of my car years ago with SC and the epoxy paint applied with no problems after thorough rinsing with water. You should use gloves, it is a strong alkaly content.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:48 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
Castrol "Super Clean" works well but will take off paint if left on long enough. I did the whole underside of my car years ago with SC and the epoxy paint applied with no problems after thorough rinsing with water. You should use gloves, it is a strong alkaly content.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:54 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
me too
Old 08-23-2004, 08:04 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the items are portable, take them down to the car wash and use the Wash/Soap setting. I cleaned up my 66 chassis/suspension that way. I had quite a few stares when I jacked up the left side of the car with my floor jack and proceeded to wash YEARS and YEARS of gunk, grime, and grease off of the engine, transmisison, and frame. Best $4 I ever spent on my Corvette.
Gary
Old 08-23-2004, 09:31 AM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I love the Castrol SC .... even have it diluted in spray bottles
for household use. However, kerosene does a great job on
greasy oily messes. Lately - I have used both: kerosene first
to melt off all the heavy grime - then scrub brush with SC to
degrease the piece.

Old 08-23-2004, 10:09 AM
Glassbowtie77
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Castrol Super Clean is the best, that stuff is amazing. I needed to get a gallon of it last week and they were out of it, so the guy at the place told me to try Purple Power. He said it worked just as well and it is less expensive, so I said what the hell, I'll give it try. Results- Not even close, Super Clean blows this other stuff away hands down. You do need to wear gloves and use it in a well ventilated area though. Also if your spraying it outdoors, make sure you stay upwind of it. At full strength it will definiately burn your skin, and god only knows what would happen if it ever got in your eyes so be cautious with it.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:17 PM
Safety Car

Default Brake Cleaner

I love brake cleaner but Iz thinks it give me damage brain
Old 08-23-2004, 02:33 PM
79 Midnight Blue L82
Instructor

Now I see a thread like this. I used this Castrol cleaner Saturday to clean up an engine for my old beater truck and did not wear gloves. That stuff is very hard on the hands. I will not do that again without wearing rubber gloves. On the plus side it did a very good job on the engine cleanup.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:35 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 70454
mee 2. Itz goood ta klean stuff butt smeelz purdy badd. I gots dain bamage, whut happen ta U???
Old 08-23-2004, 07:05 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

You can buy stuff called Gunk Super Concentrate (SC) at NAPA that you mix 9:1 with kerosene or mineral spirits to make a great degreaser. After brushing it on the parts, you hose them off with water and they're like new. Joe
Old 08-23-2004, 09:13 PM
garandfan
Burning Brakes

CI 5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
Cruise-In 7 Car Show Winner

Originally Posted by 70454
Old 08-23-2004, 09:49 PM
DP77Vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

Try Magnum from www.firstchoicechemicals.com. Not as caustic as many of the others but cleans like crazy!!!
Old 08-23-2004, 10:04 PM
80TexasC3
"Rodstoration &am p;quot; In Progres
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LT1driver
need to clean oily rear spring, some frame areas etc. what is best to do this....suspension parts are all off car. I thought maybe kerosene in big barrel or ???? thanks for imputs.

O'Rieleys Purple Power "straight"
Old 08-23-2004, 11:07 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Old 08-23-2004, 11:45 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

I've already cleaned and painted everything from the front of the car to the transmission crossmember. This includes the front suspension and frame. Everything was coated with a thick layer of grease and dirt/sand and in areas near where the exhaust had been the grease had turned to a wax/varnish like material. The first thing I use to start cleaning is a hand held power drill that has a rotary wire brush. This is really effective and fast. In what few areas that are not oil covered, I use the rotary brush to remove rust. Occassionally, after wire brushing the grease off I've used "Gunk" followed by a water spray. I didn't know about the Castrol stuff so thanks for the tip. Anyhow, after the brushing, etc. I go over everything with paper towels and lacquer thinner to get rid of any remaining oil. I probably swabbed down the front frame a half dozen times with paper towels and lacquer thinner. The bar metal frame actually looked good. Then I primered and painted the frame and just about everything else. (Some parts have been powder painted.) Just this evening I finished removed all of the rear suspension and will start cleaning it too. For close areas I also have a Dremel with a small wire brush. I use the wire brushes to clean off bolt threads also.

The wire brushes get a little dull eventually and don't cut as good. I've bought several now. Also after running the brush in one direction for a while it begins to dull, so reversing direction restores it. Sometimes I hold a part with one hand and brush with the other. If the brush/electric drill gets loose it's also very effective in brushing off skin.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:39 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

sounds good, thanks guys.

Get notified of new replies

To which cleaner best for degreasing suspension

Quick Reply: which cleaner best for degreasing suspension