C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley vs Quadrajet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 02:56 PM
jaketerk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holley vs Quadrajet?

I have a Holley 4165 on my 1972 Vette, 350. The car doesn't idle well at all, so I'm taking it in to get the carb tuned up. The mechanic asked if I had the original Quadrajet because he said that it is a far superior carb. Is this correct, or is the Holley the way to go? I can either get the Holley jetted, tuned, and adjusted, or have the quadrajet completey rebuilt. Please help! Thanks
Old 08-26-2004, 03:06 PM
77Dream
Drifting

I think the mechanic just wants the original q-jet because its easier to tune/adjust or he just doesn't know how to properly tune a Holley.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:12 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

A qjet is a better carb, but run what you want to run.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:21 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

A better carb for what. Performance wise the Holley will outdo the Holley. For everyday driving the Qjet provides good economy with its small primaries. I'll take a Holley any day for performance over a Qjet. If it was a daily driver I'd stick with a Qjet.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:36 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he should be able to tune the Holley, is your car stock other than the carb.swap???
Old 08-26-2004, 03:52 PM
cw823
Instructor

Originally Posted by Schmucker
A qjet is a better carb, but run what you want to run.
Thus the popular nickname "quadrajunk"....right?
Old 08-26-2004, 04:35 PM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll weigh in here also. Properly tuned, the Qjet is a great carb but so is the Holley. I really thinks that it is a personal preference thing. Don't let folk convince you that a Qjet is junk simply because they've never taken the time to understand them.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:30 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

Is the Holley you have a spreadbore on the original manifold? Both carbs set up correctly work well for a street driver. Lars does wonders with a Q-jet.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:46 PM
BatManFire
Instructor

I'm running a Holley 650 DP on my Vette. If I had it to do all over again I might go with the Qjet.

I got good gas mileage and it ran pretty good before it crapped out. IIRC I think the Corvette is a smaller carb and I heard some Pontiac's and Olds had a 850 cfm unit that gave really good performance and descent gas mileage if you could keep your foot out of it.

The Qiet has small primary's and LARGE secondaries. The Holley I have like most Holley's have all 4 bores the same size.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:22 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

I run both and I like them for different reasons. The q-jet is a very good carb IMHO. The Holley is a little less sophisticated but that is not a bad thing if you are tuning a special combination or figuring out a problem. The Holley requires less experience to tune. Not everyone can tune a Q-jet without experience or references to go by. I have a file that I took off the web that outlines a step-by-step way to tune a Holley and it is very easy. The Holley has WAY more available parts so service is less of a chore.

Holley supports the aftermarket and the racers where Rochester is where? You can go fast with a Rochester but you are on your own for the most part (if you do not have Lars on your speed dial. )

For a driver, Rochester is not a bad way to go. If I were building something more radical, I would grab a Holley off the shelf and my tuning parts box and have at it. Neanderthal design but it does work.

Just one man's opinion.

-Mark.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:04 AM
Ken74Conv
Racer

If quadrajets are such great carbs, why don't racers use them.
I've never seen a quadrajet used in nascar.
I've never seen a quadrajet used on local dirt tracks.
You don't see serious racers using them.
You almost never see one on a street rod.
GM was the prime user. They are good because GM says so,
I DON'T THINK SO!!
Old 08-27-2004, 12:07 PM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 832 Likes on 243 Posts

Most high performance cars sold by GM in the late '60s and early '70s came from the factory with Holley's installed.

Quadrajet = Good
Holley = Better
Old 08-27-2004, 02:08 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

The Holley 4165 is a direct replacement for a Quadrajet. As such it is primarily an emissions carb and needs to be tuned for performance. I'm running one with a fairly radical cam and it seems to be working out OK. However, I plan to do some further tuning with a wide band A/F meter.

I'm sure QJs are also fine when tuned properly. I'm certainly not a carb expert, but I think Holleys are probably easier to tune to work with a modified engine. However we all know what Lars has been able acheive with a QJ.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:24 PM
70L46Conv4Sp
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

The 4165 is a spreadbore and I replaced my original Qjet with it in 1973 after giving up on getting the stumble out of the Rochester. I have rebuilt the Holley several times over the last three decades and it runs great. I believe I could probably do justice to the Qjet now with thirty more years of experience, patience and maturity behind me but I guess I'll just leave it in the Holley box that it's been in all these years. Maybe one of these days I'll pull it out and rebuild it and put it back on with the original air cleaner. I agree with the guys who say the Holley is a superior carb in most respects (especially hi perf). I believe that someone like Lars can really bring out the best in the Qjet and make it a great daily driver type carburetor. However, for the moment, I'm going to stick with what works for me.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:36 PM
kermit1654
Instructor

I think we all agree, it is obvious that the argument must be made that the decontextualized Holley and the sociolinguistic Quadrajet ultimately obscures the relationship between carb and intake and changes the rearticulation of the corvette's power capacitance and inter-subjective motionalatitude measurements of torque.

Translation of the above: I think it means the Qjet is better?
Old 08-27-2004, 04:15 PM
MEGALADON
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Barry's70LT1
Most high performance cars sold by GM in the late '60s and early '70s came from the factory with Holley's installed.

Quadrajet = Good
Holley = Better

Well said
Old 08-27-2004, 07:28 PM
Boofers
Drifting

QJet wins for fuel economy, emmisions and driveability.
Holley wins for wide open power and ease of adjusting.

QJETs come from the factory set up for fuel economy, emmisions and driveability. Since QJETs can be difficult to tune they get a bad name when guys try to use factory set QJets for thier beefed up engines. Holleys on the other hand are much easier to adjust.

NHRA Stock and Super Stock cars produce a ton of power using QJETs. Here's the thing - you have to make some substantial mods to the carb in order to setup the QJet for that level of performance, like drilling out fuel passageways for example.

They say that QJets have a lot more time and resources invested in thier development than Holleys...

Get notified of new replies

To Holley vs Quadrajet?

Old 08-27-2004, 08:07 PM
HDIronman
Pro

Originally Posted by Ken74Conv
If quadrajets are such great carbs, why don't racers use them.
I've never seen a quadrajet used in nascar.
I've never seen a quadrajet used on local dirt tracks.
You don't see serious racers using them.
You almost never see one on a street rod.
GM was the prime user. They are good because GM says so,
I DON'T THINK SO!!

True, you don't see them much on all out perfrmance cars. However, I have a friend with a 67 Camaro bracket car, with a q-jet on a sm blk. His best 1/4 time this year so far is 10.11. I also run a Lar's q-jet ut I drive my car alot.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:42 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in the planning stages, but I think I'm going to go with a Barry Grant with mechanical secondary when ever I get around to getting a 406 stroker.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:32 AM
thevetterisbetter
Pro

Originally Posted by Boofers
QJet wins for fuel economy, emmisions and driveability.
Holley wins for wide open power and ease of adjusting.

QJETs come from the factory set up for fuel economy, emmisions and driveability. Since QJETs can be difficult to tune they get a bad name when guys try to use factory set QJets for thier beefed up engines. Holleys on the other hand are much easier to adjust.

NHRA Stock and Super Stock cars produce a ton of power using QJETs. Here's the thing - you have to make some substantial mods to the carb in order to setup the QJet for that level of performance, like drilling out fuel passageways for example.

They say that QJets have a lot more time and resources invested in thier development than Holleys...

What he said.
Holleys are easier to tune on the spot. I like my QJet, took a while to finger it out, but once I did, no problems, really.

Quick Reply: Holley vs Quadrajet?