C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Cover Installation - Instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 08:22 AM
rickc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Cover Installation - Instructions?

I picked up a set of seat covers at Carlisle yesterday but noticed there were no instructions for installing them. I will be doing new foam as well. I have located a couple of web sites that show the install procedure but was wondering if anyone has a set of printed instructions as well. Also has anyone used the Ecklers video for installing C3 seat covers?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 08-29-2004, 09:32 AM
69'Silver
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did mine a little while ago. I found an old article from Corvette Magazine that showed some of the steps and tools you will need. You will need these items.
1 Install kit
2 Hog ring pliers
3 Patience
4 Pain relief for you hands because they will hurt when you are done.
It took me about 3-4 nights to complete and I am very happy with the results. I took a lot if digital pictures of the seats before I started to help remember were the hook point were for the hog rings. Once you see how they come apart, it's pretty easy putting them back together. My frames were really rusted and just plain ugly looking, so I spent a lot of time removing the rust, primed and repainted. You will never see the frame, but I would recommend cleaning them up. Good luck and I'll try to find that article for you.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:06 AM
rosslato
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

nope, don't have the printed instructions and never seen the video, i did mine as a newbie. went and got hog pliers and a box of hogrings, new foam and leather seats and had at it. it was a bit of a pain but i did it and they came out perfect and look great, take a look.http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/331969/2 just make sure when u do them u attach the rods from the seat covers thru the foam to the wire frame under the foam. most vettes i see at the shows sidestep doing this part and it makes the seatcovers tear in that area. they just slip the seatcover over the foam and thats it, they don't get that tufted look. so go ahead and delve into it, and remember you're an AMERICAN and AMERICAN ends in I CAN. later
Old 08-29-2004, 10:26 AM
Roadster71
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Who made the covers? Normaly written instructions will come with them. I would call or e-mail for them. The Ecklers video is helpful.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:40 AM
Star79
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heard about this video

Originally Posted by Roadster71
Who made the covers? Normaly written instructions will come with them. I would call or e-mail for them. The Ecklers video is helpful.
I'm doing mine soon, and of course got no instructions (ebay..) Anyone have a copy of that video they'd like to send up to me? I'll pay shipping etc and then I'll be happy to send it off to the next person. Also, where do you guys find hog rings, and hog ring pliers? I've seen them in Eastwood and Lee Valley catalog, but it would be nice to get them at HD or Lowes or something.

By the way, Eastwood sells the rings for 2 bucks for a box of a hundred (.02 each), while they're like 10x more from our usual sources. Hope I don't get in trouble for that
Old 08-29-2004, 10:52 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Guys. There is a good how to article on corvettefaq.com. I beleive it was done by Corvette America. This is what I used to install mine and had no problems. Also do a search for my old posts on this topic. I posted some tips a while back that I found helpful.. Here are a couple that I remember right off the bat.

1 Leave the covers sitting in the sun for a while. This will make them more pliable. I am not comfortable enough with a heat gun. I was afraid I would melt something.

2. In some areas I used strong zip ties instead of the hog rings. I used these primarily on the seat backs. They allow you to get the covers tighter than the hog rings and do not corrode. They are hidden by the plastic seat back cover so why not use the.

3. Lastly take your time and don't get frustrated. This is an overall easy job that anyone can do. It just takes a while and is very hard on your fingers.

Good luck. Shoot me an IM if you have any specific questions.

Old 08-29-2004, 11:23 AM
rickc
Instructor

Thanks for the Help and Tips. I guess I'll just jump right in!
Here are the sites I found.

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/0405vet_c3seat/
http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/0406vet_c3seat/

http://www.rowleycorvette.com/corvette_repair2.html

I have hog rings and Pliers from a previous 64 GTO seat cover install I did. Got them at a local hardware store. Hope the Vette goes better than the Goat did. What a PIA!

Rick
Old 08-29-2004, 11:25 AM
checklst
Racer

I am just finishing up mine now (first time for me) I used the Corvette America instruction on line but the best advice is take your time in disassembling the old ones and draw a diagrams use digital photos.
I used my notes, diagrams and photos far more than anything else.

One TIP is to use a silicon spray on the foam to help the covers to slide over the foam easer.

Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To Seat Cover Installation - Instructions?

Quick Reply: Seat Cover Installation - Instructions?