C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you had to rotate Alternator cover?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 09:52 PM
drs80vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you had to rotate Alternator cover?

'80 vette. Installed a chrome unit from Alternatorparts.com I rotated the back cover 180 degree so the electrical connection was next to my fender not the valve cover. I was careful not to disengage the two spring loaded brushes inside. Only had to pull out cover 3/8", turn and refasten. I see there is quite a bit of rebuilding you can do for alternators. This 10-si unit is a little smaller, had to bring down the mount arm. They also changed a couple of the fastener sizes. At least the lower mount bolt shaft is the same. Happy so far after tweaking the installation.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:23 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

No big deal if you do pop the brushes out. You just push them back in place and put a straightened paper clip in the brush holder to retain them. The end of the paper clip goes out through a hole in the back of the housing. You "clock" the housing the way you want then put the front/back together and reinstall the 4 screws. Once it is back together, you pull out the paper clip and slap it back on the car.

Alternator overhaul is pretty easy realy. All you need is a regular multi-meter and a paper clip.

-Mark.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:30 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just want to add to the above, if you do pull it out too far, you should check that no grease got on the brushes from the shaft, and clean them off. Joe
Old 09-22-2004, 11:05 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, alternators are really simple. They are almost stupid simple. They are electrical so some people are scared of them, I was at first, then the rectifier blew out in my daily driver. I started swapping parts between the same alternator off a dead vehicle lying around and mine. The hardest part of an alternator rebuild would be the bearings, and that can't be that bad. The benefit of having someone else do it is they have the rock tumbler thing to clean up the outside.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:53 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get a spare at thr bone yard to play with

Get notified of new replies

To Have you had to rotate Alternator cover?

Quick Reply: Have you had to rotate Alternator cover?