C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AR Racing has proclaimed: "Your Motor Is Complete!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 12:23 PM
nastee383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default AR Racing has proclaimed: "Your Motor Is Complete!!

After almost nine months. An email reply stated it was complete with the exception of custom length pushrods. In AR speak that's another two months. I asked him to mail or email a parts list, tell me the additional charge for head porting and shipping and we can wrap this thing up. I wish I could get excited but I can't.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:38 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Maybe you could see if he has another buyer for it. There must be a waiting list, so someone probably could use it.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:45 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Gestation for a human foetus is 10 months. Are they bulding engines or babies?!?
Old 10-07-2004, 03:55 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Originally Posted by CGGorman
Gestation for a human foetus is 10 months. Are they bulding engines or babies?!?
AR sells high volumes of their standard engines.. Custom orders usually take long time....
Old 10-07-2004, 06:01 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CGGorman
Gestation for a human foetus is 10 months.
Hmmn, last time I checked it was nine months. At least that is what happened in my house three separate times.
Gary
Old 10-07-2004, 06:04 PM
81 Vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05
First C3 General Poster!

Originally Posted by GaryS
Hmmn, last time I checked it was nine months. At least that is what happened in my house three separate times.
Gary
I hate it when that happens....
Old 10-07-2004, 07:34 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gotcha beat!! Mine's going on 12 months...
Old 10-07-2004, 07:36 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 387 Likes on 235 Posts

Damn, that's a LONG time to wait on an engine to be built!!
Old 10-07-2004, 07:39 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

why are people putting up with those insane long waiting periods? I would go to another builder, one that spends detailed attention to all his builds and not slaps together as much engines as he can and getting lagged while doing it, making the pressure even higher and also increasing the potential for error on the next buildup. From what I've seen it's not like they use super high quality parts either, most parts look fairly budget oriented.

I'd gladly pay a couple of hundred more to someone else if he can have it done withint 1/9th the time they can, this is just insane.
Maybe it's wise to finish the majority of "engines to build" before selling new ones on ebay. how about that, when you win an auction on ebay, do you also have to wait a year to get it then?

...geez a year for an engine..I'm baffled...geezz...just geez
Old 10-07-2004, 08:14 PM
69vette66
Pro

Thats why you go to a reccomended engine Builder near your hometown. Then If something does break or you have problems, you won't have to wait another 9 mths to get it fixed. My friend just had that hapen to him on a 351. Ordered a stroker short blk, put it together and after a few months motor locked up. pulled the heads and still locked, sent it back and a bearing froze up. 2 months and still waiting for his short blk to come back.
If I was spending that kind of cash, I wouldn't do it online or mail order. I like to walk into the shop and see the progress going. But that is just me.

Good Luck, Larry
Old 10-07-2004, 08:37 PM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
why are people putting up with those insane long waiting periods?
I'd gladly pay a couple of hundred more to someone else if he can have it done withint 1/9th the time they can, this is just insane.
Maybe it's wise to finish the majority of "engines to build" before selling new ones on ebay. how about that, when you win an auction on ebay, do you also have to wait a year to get it then?

This is a GM engine........not the space shuttle rocket engine
Old 10-07-2004, 09:00 PM
76redl48
Advanced

PRICE thats why people buy from AR. I bought an engine from them, the equivalent of a gm zz4 $2500 to my door. I got it last year before they got swamped. Remember they sell packaged engines everyday on e-bay so a custom engine is going to take longer. As their core bussiness increases it will take longer and longer to get a custom engine built. But if you can use one of their package engines then you will get one fast and at a great price. The engine I bought from them runs great has tons of power I could not be happier with an engine from any one else.

Dave
Old 10-07-2004, 09:58 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I guess TT and will start taking your 500hp 383ci budget small block orders. We promise to get it to you in 6 months. Maybe. I've got to go on vacation before I start building and I may have to buy a c-6 when enough orders come in. But, I'll get to them.......

Something sound fishy here. Just seems like a long time for a custom or any engine.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:35 PM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

I hope you are happy with your engine Mine was a turn key AR Racing 383 ( which have had questionable consistency) but after a little smoking for a few hundred miles the motor has settled in to a great runnning street/strip motor.........Awesome lopey cam sound through 2 1/2" 40 series Flowmasters and serious ***** at high rpms (I have taken it to 6300 rpm after 500 miles----shift light at 6 grand, but I know by the time i let of the gas to shift it's at 6300+) and the vette now feels like it could whip just about any car on the road (bring on the 5.0 mustangs-------I had and 88 GT 5.0/5-speed, and it doesn't compare).....my 76 (formerly a L48-185hp now a 460+hp stroker@3100lbs) SO>>>>>good luck with your motor brotha!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-08-2004, 12:00 AM
Homie
Instructor

Congrats on the success Oregon.

So you are happy with the down low torque as well, I take it?
Old 10-08-2004, 12:03 AM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Well----the motor is strong at all rpm.......but at 4000+ it just screams---------hold on and keep the steering wheel straight!!!! under 2000 is a bit sluggish----I can see the need for the recomended 2000 stall----luckily I have a 4-speed
Old 10-08-2004, 12:12 AM
Homie
Instructor

Groovy! You have any track times yet?

Get notified of new replies

To AR Racing has proclaimed: "Your Motor Is Complete!!

Old 10-08-2004, 12:16 AM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Homie
Groovy! You have any track times yet?
not till spring---------but seat of the pants says mid-12's!!!!!(traction willing)........ My 13.9 sec 5.0 was not NEARLY as fast
Old 10-08-2004, 12:19 AM
nastee383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
why are people putting up with those insane long waiting periods? I would go to another builder, one that spends detailed attention to all his builds and not slaps together as much engines as he can and getting lagged while doing it, making the pressure even higher and also increasing the potential for error on the next buildup. From what I've seen it's not like they use super high quality parts either, most parts look fairly budget oriented.

There are always lessons in life to be learned and I have learned a few from this ordeal. It didn't seem like a bad decision at the time I ordered. I chose the parts to be used, he promised delivery in two months and the price was very good considering what I requested. Then I sent the check and the lines of communication became blurred. Oh well, you live and you learn.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:29 AM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nastee383
There are always lessons in life to be learned and I have learned a few from this ordeal. It didn't seem like a bad decision at the time I ordered. I chose the parts to be used, he promised delivery in two months and the price was very good considering what I requested. Then I sent the check and the lines of communication became blurred. Oh well, you live and you learn.

I really hope you get a great motor Nastee!!! Mark and AR seem like honest guys who love hot rods......Much anticipation waiting for a motor for as long as you have.....but once its installed and dialed in you will prolly forget about your long wait and just get a stiffy from hearing you lopey cam.

Quick Reply: AR Racing has proclaimed: "Your Motor Is Complete!!