C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stainless Works C3 Small Block headers now available

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 09:06 AM
alnoe
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Stainless Works C3 Small Block headers now available

We now have long tube and shorty headers available for the Small Block C3 Corvette. The long tubes are available with 1 5/8" or 1 3/4" primaries (the 1 3/4" are very close to the steering box but they do clear), and are completely tig welded, 3/8" cnc laser cut flanges, and are available with collectors ranging from 3 1/2" to 2 1/2"-we can also put a standard 3 bolt flange or size the collector to be a slip fit with the exhaust system. Prices start at $629, and hand mirror polishing is also available. http://www.stainlessworks.net/GM%20N...leflow_headers

The shorty headers are 1 5/8" primary tubes, and can be connected to the factory side exhaust with cutting and welding. They also feature CNC laser cut 3/8" flanges, completely tig welded, and have a 2 1/2" slip joint collector. Prices for the shorties start at $525.

We also make a true dual exhaust systems for the C3 which will bolt up to our headers-all 2 1/2" 304 s/s with dual turbo mufflers that use the factory hangers and have factory style outlets (for 63-73's), or turn downs for 74+. The true dual exhaust starts at $729.

As an introduction to forum members, we will offer free shipping on any of the above products, which will save you $30-70 depending on where you live. We will also take $30 off the price of the headers or exhaust system.

All of the above products are all 304 s/s, so they will be the last ones you will ever have to buy. All of our s/s products are backed by a limited lifetime warranty against defects in materials and workmanship. We do build all of these products to order, so please allow 5-6 weeks for delivery. We do not charge your card until the products ships.

Thanks and let me know if you have any questions. If the link does not work for you, let me know and I will email you any images you need.

The free shipping and discount is only good through the month of November.

Last edited by alnoe; 11-04-2004 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:14 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-04-2004, 12:24 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I will be looking at these
Old 11-04-2004, 12:38 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

$525 seems like a pretty good price for the shorties
Old 11-04-2004, 12:46 PM
vettery
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a picture of the shorty header available?
Old 11-04-2004, 02:19 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Any chance of a 1 7/8 in. primary version ? Many big inch small blocks out there now and there is going to be even more in the future !
Old 11-04-2004, 02:46 PM
alnoe
Instructor

A picture of the blockhugger is at:

http://www.stainlessworks.net/images...k%20header.jpg

For a bigger tube than 1 3/4"-we would have to build them on the car. The 1 3/4" headers are very tight on the car and as we build them now I am 99% sure the 1 7/8" would hit the steering box. It would be so tight that we would need to build/weld them on the car so they would fit well. And, even with a big inch small block, you can make about 600 flywheel HP with a 1 3/4" header, and the gains from a really large tube header would be at pretty high RPM levels. But if you do need this we would be happy to build it on the car for you.

Let me know if you need anything else.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:14 PM
alnoe
Instructor

Hopefully this image from our website will post.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2004, 03:21 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Do the shortie headers have round or square inlet holes ? I just bought a pair of Street and Performance stainless block hugger headers for my sbc that came with round inlet holes, my AFR's have these shaped exhaust ports:

I want to use these headers for a turbo application, but I'm concerned that they may be restrictive with the exhaust exiting the head into a smaller port (hitting the edges of the head tubes).

Last edited by SmokedTires; 11-04-2004 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:45 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are building your own headers, why not get a set of flanges, grind them to fit the ports and then from round tubes make some starter cones, they are easily formed by hammering the round tube over a block that is somewhat pointy but gradually forms into a rounded square block with the same size as the ports. You'll only have to make 1 hammer form to do all the starter cones.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:56 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

TT, I already have the headers. This design will work for my application.

Here's a pic:
Old 11-04-2004, 04:19 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

I must be missing something I am sure you can fill me in but aren't big block header at least 1 7/8 to 2in. collectors and more and they fit inside a C3 ?
Old 11-04-2004, 07:48 PM
mrcorvette79
Advanced

You make some great products, I'm currently using your 3" in and out 304 stainless bullet mufflers mounted side by side out the center of the rear bumper on my 79. These are the best sounding pipes I've heard, and I've tried many. The quality is outstanding and I'll be sure to purchase your headers when my Hedmans burn out.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:38 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Good news.

Thanks for posting. Sound like high quality pieces. cardo0
Old 11-05-2004, 01:03 AM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Price please...including shipment to Honolulu Hawaii 96816.
1 Set of Polished Long Tube 1 and 3/4" for a Motown 427 ci Small Block with Aluminum Heads.....

Do I get a break in price for distance to your shop from the other side of the world?
Old 11-05-2004, 01:19 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I would buy a set if they don't go much lower than my 7" deep Corvette oil pan (note to the aftermarket: The Corvette is a "sports car" and it's oil pan is only 7" deep from the factory for a good reason!.) Everyone seems to have a problem with the depth of hedders for a C2-3 Corvette. I Emailed Stainless Works with the question, I like the design but won't buy them if they end up scraping at every speed bump I encounter.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:01 AM
alnoe
Instructor

Motorhead

You are right-we make a 2" big block header for the c3-the problem is that the big block head exits on angle, so the tubes do not come out of the port and crash directly into the steering box-we can make the tubes go around the box by cutting and welding three pieces into one tube-they are still tight but actually you have more room with a big block because of the way the cylinder head angle is different. I did not say it couldn't be done-I am sure we can do it, I would need to have the car to do so because I can't change the tube diameter of the header and build it in the jig we have already-the jig is designed for 1 3/4" or smaller tubes.

As far as ground clearance-we made these headers fit as close to the floorpan as possible. The problem is that with a long tube header the collector will hang down slightly due to the way the floor pan is designed-there is no way to make the header push up any higher than we have them, unless you want the collector laying against the floor pan and burning through the glass, which I am sure you don't want and neither do we.

If your car is lowered a lot, I would recommend putting shorties on it-you will still get the ground clearance you want and they will flow better than the factory cats iron manifolds.

We also can laser cut flanges to a gasket template-in 3/8" s/s we charge $125 for the flanges and a $50 fee to digitize and create a .dxf file which our laser cutter uses. if you can supply a clean .dxf file the flanges would be $125.

Thanks
Al

Get notified of new replies

To Stainless Works C3 Small Block headers now available

Old 11-05-2004, 01:01 PM
vettery
Racer

Thanks for posting the pic. I really hoped the shorty would more in between a block hugger and a long tube header though.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:08 PM
alnoe
Instructor

Vettery

We could build whatever you want, as long as we have the car in our shop in Cleveland, Ohio.

Let us know if we can help
Old 11-09-2004, 01:16 PM
vettery
Racer

Alnoe,

I like the design of these Stahl side exit headers, but they're pricey for carbon steel and probably more performance directed than I require. Just a ballpark fiqure; how much are we talking about for custom headers built to my car of a simular design?

Last edited by vettery; 11-10-2004 at 01:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Stainless Works C3 Small Block headers now available