C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turning rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 03:40 PM
77 vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turning rotors

I'm replacing my hubs and want to turn the rotors, should I bolt these two together for turning or is it ok to turn them with out the hub attached?
Old 11-12-2004, 03:42 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do you want to turn the rotors?
Old 11-12-2004, 04:11 PM
77 vette
Racer

I'm also installing new calipers and brake shoes, just want a new finish on the rotor.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:21 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Others may disagree, but I've never been a big fan of turning rotors. If they're bad, replace them. This is unless they're very hard to get, very expensive or simply need a tiny bit of rust removal. Turned rotors will end up warping much faster than those at original thickness.

I've replaced pads and left the rotors even when slightly rivet scored and not found noticable reduction in braking performance (though I probably reduced the longevity of the pad). I don't routinely turn the rotors any more.

My $0.02
Old 11-12-2004, 04:53 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Bolt the new rotors on the hubs and set the bearings. Check runout with an indicator. If you have less then .003" you're ok. If you have more, then either shim them to a better runout or have them kiss cut. If you cut them, you have to be sure they are fastened to the hub or you'll loose your cut runout. You can tap the old rivet holes and countersink them to accept 3/8-24 socket flat head bolts or have them riveted.
Gary
70vert
Banned Scam/Spammer

Why are you replacing the hubs? The factory turned the hub/rotor as a unit; if you can find someone you trust to do this correct thats what I would do. If you don't rivit them back together, make sure you don't lose their relative postion to each other.
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,479 Likes on 768 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I've always turned my rotors especially vintage ones as there are much thicker; current model cars are designed to be replaced. Most older rotors were good for (2) cuttings. This is to eliminate runout (causes wheel to shake when braking) and glazing (causes squeaking). I have never had a problem wiht turning rotors. Be careful, some cars must be turned on the car. Older Corvettes can be turned by a reputable parts store. the last time I took mine in the guy came out with a smile on his face. He said that his machine was working hard to cut them and he hadn't had any in that heavy and hard in awhile.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:59 PM
77 vette
Racer

Originally Posted by gliot1
I've always turned my rotors especially vintage ones as there are much thicker; current model cars are designed to be replaced. Most older rotors were good for (2) cuttings. This is to eliminate runout (causes wheel to shake when braking) and glazing (causes squeaking). I have never had a problem wiht turning rotors. Be careful, some cars must be turned on the car. Older Corvettes can be turned by a reputable parts store. the last time I took mine in the guy came out with a smile on his face. He said that his machine was working hard to cut them and he hadn't had any in that heavy and hard in awhile.
I've got glazing and want min runout, should I torque the hub onto the rotor for turning?
Old 11-12-2004, 05:09 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had all mine turned and haven't had any problems.

They were turned off the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Turning rotors

Quick Reply: Turning rotors