C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who wants a Twin Turbo SBC kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 07:13 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Who wants a Twin Turbo SBC kit?

No I'm not selling mine but this is almost identical to what I have (yet this one has headers, which I may build in the near future also), the turbos are the same as mine. This looks like a very good price
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...933861497&rd=1
Old 11-15-2004, 07:23 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Looks like a good price, seems like all you ever see around here is twin turbo setups, why not just one big one probably fit better in our C3's ?
Old 11-15-2004, 07:32 PM
Megawatt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should I fear there may be two TT's? Just kidding. But it does bring to mind that I haven't seen much about your engine on the forum. Maybe it was before I became a member. But if you haven't I would be interested. Maybe the other members would also.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:43 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Motorhead, 2 smaller turbos spool up a lot better than big one, it also makes for much cleaner exhaust plumbing and I'm pretty sure that kit will fit inside a stock C3, my stuff fits inside the stock engine bay also, it's jsut that I myself have added so much stuff that it doesn't fit anymore (well, maybe it still does)

Megawatt, this is my engine:

here it is inside teh car, w/ carbs & intercoolers in place, just no ducting & piping yet

Old 11-15-2004, 07:53 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

TT,

I must say, the rug is a very nice touch under the engine!

Seriously, how much fabrication would you think is involved beyond the intake work required?
Old 11-15-2004, 08:05 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

That's my flying carpet I didn't want to scratch up my stainless oil pan by setting it on the concrete floor

You mean with that kit on ebay? It's kind of hard to see from the pics but it looks like the headers already have the mounts for the wastegates, if so that would leave only a few things.

A downpipe with a connection to the wastegate, something like:

The wastegate is under the manifold in that pic and a short section of flex is used (it's stainless)

here's the wastegate:

That would take care of the exhaust part. The intake part would be about the same, depending if you use intercoolers (or 1) or not.

If you use 1 intercooler you can mount it in front of the rad, use 2 entry ports on the sides and 1 exit on the top, this also balances out both sides. If you use 2 wastegates you must use a balance tube to connect both sides. The intake ducting would have to have a mounting pipe for the blow off valve(s) this kit has 2, I have 1 but I'm using a balance pipe so it will be located in that (close to throttle plates), for the rest it's just piping to connect the components. If you can weld stainless (preferred) & aluminium and have a large pipe cutter you can do the fabrication yourself, weld elbows really make it a much easier job (and looks better than angled straight sections)

The oiling system will need to be modified, a pressure line must run to both turbos and a drain back to the manifold, since those are mounted above oil level all that is needed is a vertical drain (no horiz. spots!) and 2 welded bungs on the oil pan like this:

It's just 2 fittings ground down at an angle and then tig welded to the manifold (tig is so nice for joining 2 pieces of metals that are not even close to the same thickness)
Old 11-15-2004, 08:37 PM
nxfirebird
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not a bad price those turbos new run 500 - 550 each, the BOV's 250-300 each, and the waste gates 250-300 each. BUT i don't like the headers that comes with it, and the headers are the part you can't buy. these headers are HUGE for those turbos, my guess is the headers were made for a race car w/either twin T-76 or T-88's. i've been researching tube size 'cause i'm looking in to building turbo headers for my 77, and even the bigger powered cars (1100 +) only run 1 3/4" tubes. as many people as i've seen request turbo headers i thought about building them to sell! LOL
Old 11-15-2004, 08:42 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't i wish
Old 11-15-2004, 08:52 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

TT the reason I asked is the guy that owns the dyno I go to was trying to get me to put one on my 406ci I forget the part number or manufaturer but he has one on his Mustang and and makes about 750-800 HP and said I would make over 1000HP no problem. I asked about lag etc. and he said there is no lag anymore with these turbos ?
Old 11-15-2004, 08:59 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Depends on the turbo, variable vane, divided turbine...that sort of stuff but with your engine lag shouldn't be too much of a problem, but you know 2 is always better than 1
Old 11-15-2004, 11:08 PM
75 Stingray!
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MotorHead
TT the reason I asked is the guy that owns the dyno I go to was trying to get me to put one on my 406ci I forget the part number or manufaturer but he has one on his Mustang and and makes about 750-800 HP and said I would make over 1000HP no problem. I asked about lag etc. and he said there is no lag anymore with these turbos ?
The turbo was the same one that my friend has (76mm)
http://members.rogers.com/turbo351/

Here are some of his performance Data
Keep in mind he is running full weight (leather interior, ac...) and they weigh somewhere around 4400#. He also has the super coupe stock IRS so even though he has ET streets he really hasn’t pushed the car.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49357

To see a video of his car CLICK HERE scroll down and click on this pic

He is not in boost when he launches the car you can hear it kick in shortly after.

This Dyno is with his Old turbo slightly smaller no lag at all, he maxed it out almost as soon as he hit the gas.

The car is his Daily driver, every day in the summer and I’ve even seen it out in the winter.

Wayne you'll need different pistons if you want to get real power out of a turbo setup, 11:1 is just a bit too much compression.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:06 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

That is a good price for that setup

Get notified of new replies

To Who wants a Twin Turbo SBC kit?

Quick Reply: Who wants a Twin Turbo SBC kit?