C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Block rebuild options...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 07:24 PM
djcwardog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Big Block rebuild options...

As I sit here I have time to think about what to do about the 454 in my car when I get back home. I know I can check it out and decide to rebuild or not... But what about dropping in a new mill and putting the orginal one on a stand in the garage? I see that GMPP sells a 454HO for ~$4700. This motor supposedly takes the mechanical (stock) fuel pump and also has the hole drilled and tapped for the clutch stud. I want both these features. I'm not sure that the 502HO or the ZZ502's have them. I do like the Gen VI blocks and the one-piece rear seals... What other GM crates have what I want and what other motors are recommended for consideration? What is a ballpark price these days (I live in St Louis) if I go through my old 2-bolt main motor myself and take it in pieces to the machine shop for cleaning, boring,etc...? I have done this before and the costs just add up. I would want ~9.5:1 compression hypereutectic pistons, new cam bearings and all the routine machine work to include balancing, a good torque cam (never racing, just good street power down low in the rpms) and I would use my stock heads (unless buying a crate long block), intake and exhaust manifolds. Such fun to even consider these choices! I love it!
Old 11-20-2004, 07:47 PM
matchframe
Pro

If you do go with a Gen V or VI crate, you can always go with an electric fuel pump, and get a clutch bracket from Scoggin-Dickey Performance Parts.

Here is a link to Scoggin-Dickey

www.bigdogvettes.com
Old 11-20-2004, 08:13 PM
djcwardog
Burning Brakes

What a neat part - I had no idea anybody made this... Where does it bolt on? Thanks!
Old 11-20-2004, 08:19 PM
matchframe
Pro

It bolts on the bellhousing, goes around the oil filter and put the pivot ball right where it should be.

www.bigdogvettes.com
Old 11-20-2004, 09:07 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by matchframe
If you do go with a Gen V or VI crate, you can always go with an electric fuel pump, and get a clutch bracket from Scoggin-Dickey Performance Parts.

Here is a link to Scoggin-Dickey

www.bigdogvettes.com

I'm running this on my Gen V block with no problems.

The 454H.O. is a hell of a deal, 450hp/500tq, pump gas friendly, forged rotating assembly and 4 bolt mains.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:30 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Dave, sounds like you are thinking about some of the same things I was about a year ago. I went thru my original 454 rebuilding it much the same as you discribe....."9.5:1 compression hypereutectic pistons, new cam bearings and all the routine machine work to include balancing, a good torque cam"....only to put it on the shelf and buy the RamJet 502 GM crate motor. I decided I wanted all the latest technology ( roller cam, aluminum heads, fuel injection etc) I am glad I did. If I had it to do over though, I would probably have opted for the ZZ502 with aftermarket fuel injection such as Holley's Commander 950. That would have saved me alot of work raising the L-88 hood 1". Plus I would have had a more versatile FI setup and control. The intake wouldn't have looked as bad azz though

Bullshark

Last edited by Bullshark; 11-20-2004 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:20 PM
hubes
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Bullshark, do you have any pics of the L88 hood raised?
Old 11-20-2004, 10:25 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Originally Posted by hubes
Bullshark, do you have any pics of the L88 hood raised?

Bullshark
Old 11-21-2004, 03:55 AM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Bullshark,
That is a great looking car. What size rims/tires do you have on it. It looks great whatever they are.

kdf 1973 454
kdf 1986 L98
Old 11-21-2004, 04:55 AM
djcwardog
Burning Brakes

Bullshark - superb job! I live in Kirkwood, MO, so I'll have to check out that car in person when I return home! Where did you have the work done on your stock motor? Happy with them? I'll have to mull it all over - that's half the fun!

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2004, 07:48 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djcwardog
As I sit here I have time to think about what to do about the 454 in my car when I get back home. I know I can check it out and decide to rebuild or not... But what about dropping in a new mill and putting the orginal one on a stand in the garage? I see that GMPP sells a 454HO for ~$4700. This motor supposedly takes the mechanical (stock) fuel pump and also has the hole drilled and tapped for the clutch stud. I want both these features. I'm not sure that the 502HO or the ZZ502's have them. I do like the Gen VI blocks and the one-piece rear seals... What other GM crates have what I want and what other motors are recommended for consideration? What is a ballpark price these days (I live in St Louis) if I go through my old 2-bolt main motor myself and take it in pieces to the machine shop for cleaning, boring,etc...? I have done this before and the costs just add up. I would want ~9.5:1 compression hypereutectic pistons, new cam bearings and all the routine machine work to include balancing, a good torque cam (never racing, just good street power down low in the rpms) and I would use my stock heads (unless buying a crate long block), intake and exhaust manifolds. Such fun to even consider these choices! I love it!
The 454 HO GM crate is a great engine! Got one in the '67 with 3x2 intake. It has the mech pump boss, but mine didn't have the front clutch pivot boss- I used the S-D bracket pictured here. It's got tons of torque, and runs great! Been in the car 2 years without incident.
If I had it to do again, I might just get the ZZ/454 with the aluminum oval port heads and 110 cc chambers. The GM 454 is DEFINITELY the best bang for the buck, IMHO.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:55 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I was thinking of going with the 454HO when I crossed that road. I didn't have the cash and didn't want to use a credit card. I had to purchase pieces and parts as $$ & time allowed. I also didn't have a hoist at home to off-load the delivery truck. Lot of other reasons too prevented me from going crate. Good luck either way.

Bullshark & Massvette have two of the nicest vette's on the forum.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:21 AM
matchframe
Pro

Same with me. Still trying to piece together my Big Block as I can afford parts.

Buying a crate is the best way to go, especially when it come to warranty work. Be sure to let us hear what you do!

Another option for the clutch with the Gen V & VI is to use a hydraulic clutch release. The only thing about that is that you have to get the bellhousing that supports the slave cylinder.

www.bigdogvettes.com

Last edited by matchframe; 11-21-2004 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:47 AM
problemenko
Instructor

I'm in the same boat as a few others. I would go the GMPP BB crate but due to the lack of cash I've been looking for a good used block. I found a BB in a pickup but the guy wants $800 for the engine. When I add the cost of machining alone brings the block to around $1500. Add the cost of parts and the GMPP begins to look like a bargain. If I could find a BB for around $200 then the costs begin to line up.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:04 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Jughead
had to purchase pieces and parts as $$ & time allowed.
Matchframe
Same with me. Still trying to piece together my Big Block as I can afford parts
problemenko
I'm in the same boat as a few others. I would go the GMPP BB crate but due to the lack of cash I've been looking for a good used block.
Guy's.... what are you trying to do! It took me 30 years to train my wife to the importance of Corvettes over such material things as home improvements, flowers, jewlery etc. If she gets wind of this post, I'm hosed

Bullshark
Old 11-21-2004, 12:13 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

My '69 bigblock Nova ended up having a freeze crack in the block (bought it this way at an auction ). I was hoping to take the crank and heads and put them in a 454 block and get a 427. After talking with my builder, he said he didn't want to use a cast crank for the HP I wanted and he convinced me to sell the parts on ebay, and build a 496. It will cost $6k, but I will also get a lot more HP than a crate and I know this guy absolutely doesn't build junk. Most builders have access to cheap cores, so you really don't need to find your own block.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:48 PM
problemenko
Instructor

Bullshark, it's the college tuition bills that are here for the next few years that put a dent in my fun funds.

Get notified of new replies

To Big Block rebuild options...

Old 11-21-2004, 03:03 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Originally Posted by problemenko
Bullshark, it's the college tuition bills that are here for the next few years that put a dent in my fun funds.
problemenko
Good for you That will pay big dividens in the future. Maybe enough for your Corvette Hobby AND the wife.

Bullshark
Old 11-21-2004, 03:51 PM
matchframe
Pro

Originally Posted by Bullshark
...Guy's.... what are you trying to do! It took me 30 years to train my wife to the importance of Corvettes over such material things as home improvements, flowers, jewlery etc. If she gets wind of this post, I'm hosed

Bullshark

If I had a job where I was making money, I could go out and buy parts....right now I am just trying to put food on the table.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:03 PM
wesmigletz
12.14 w/ the original 327

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
CI 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

I was going to build a 454 for my GFs Malibu. After comparing costs, I ended up building a 496 using Speed-O-Motive for the rotating assembly. Carb to pan, including ceramic coated headers, I'm in mine about $4500.

496, 10.2: forged probe light weight pistons, longer rods, Engle cam, #781 Oval Ports with 2.19 and 1.88 valves, 1 3/4 Hedman Elite headers, it currently has an Edelbrock RPM intake and a Carb Shop stage 3 #3310 carb, but will ultimately have a '68 oval port tri power set-up on it.

Quick Reply: Big Block rebuild options...