C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trubo 350 auto will not hold vehicle from rolling back in park

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 09:34 AM
RATT7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turbo 350 auto will not hold vehicle from rolling back in park

Hi, guys I have a problem related to my transmission for my 1976 GMC half ton. It’s a turbo auto 350. I checked my shop manual for my 1980 corvette for a bit of guidance with the problem I have. I came home the other day with the truck, threw it into park and the truck started to roll back on the drive way! I rechecked the column shift and I was in park, but it was not holding. I shifted done to first and then back into park and the same problem, the vehicle is not staying in park as it should. I checked the linkage, shift column and this was fine. I was able to get into all 3 gears, neutral and reverse with out any problems, but in park it is not holding. The craziest thing is if I shut the truck off in drive and then shift the into park, it engages and is fine? I was on some bumpy gravel roads when I came home prior to this problem, any relation? When I shift into park when the engine is running is not holding, but if I turn the truck off in drive and then shift into park it is fine?

I checked my shop manual for guidance and there is a shift linkage rod, spring and Parking pawl that enables you to shift into park and have the vehicle hold. To access it I would have to remove the tranny pan which is not a problem, but what am I looking to repair here. Can’t under stand why it does not work going from drive to park when the motor is running. Any help from the tranny experts would be greatly appreciated. :o
Thanks

Last edited by RATT7; 11-22-2004 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:19 AM
79ls1
Racer

Most likely your parking pawl is sheared inside.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:35 AM
RATT7
Pro

If the parking pawl is sheared, would that not effect the park function when I turn the motor off in drive and then shift in park ? I not sure why this happens, but when I shut the truck down in drive and then shift into park the truck will not roll back ?
Old 11-22-2004, 10:43 AM
79ls1
Racer

I dunno. What I do know (I only work on Fords at work, so I don't know much about GM trannys inside) is the the pawl is what keeps it from spinning inside and therefore your truck from moving.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:12 PM
RATT7
Pro

I believe the pawl prevents it from spinning, but when I shut the motor off and then shift into Park it then holds
Old 11-22-2004, 02:05 PM
RATT7
Pro

Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix this problem ?
Old 11-22-2004, 03:24 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check your linkage/ cable ajustments first
Old 11-22-2004, 05:11 PM
79ls1
Racer

Yup, it might not be going all the way into park, I assumed that you checked that. Take the cable off the trans, put the input arm all the way into park and see what happens. (PLEASE chock the tires and jack the rear end with the engine off, at the least) If it locks, your linkage is mal-adjusted. If not, you'll just have to pull the pan and take a look. No way around it. One more thing, if you linkage is adjusted wrong, has slop in it or whatever, you can burn the trans up if it is going only partially into gear while you are driving it, forward or reverse.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:48 AM
RATT7
Pro

The linkage is a little loose but it is no different then prior to the problem - I will check the linkage again. I noticed that all the gears works, including Neutral. But if I shut the motor down in drive and then shift into park, then park holds. It sounds like the linkage. Thanks - I will let you guys know of the outcome

Get notified of new replies

To Trubo 350 auto will not hold vehicle from rolling back in park

Quick Reply: Trubo 350 auto will not hold vehicle from rolling back in park