C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heater bypass or plug it up???

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 10:26 PM
greyghost79
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default heater bypass or plug it up???

heater core rotted out. decided to bypass since i'm a fair weather corvetter anyway. was going to plug heater hose outlet on water pump and also inlet on intake manifold. someone told me not to do this as it would cause a "hot spot" in the manifold. said i should just run a hose from the water pump back to the manifold. inlet is so near the thermostat anyway i'm skeptical about this hot spot thing. opinions, please?
Old 11-23-2004, 10:39 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Plug it, should be fine.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:44 PM
Garson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Garson
Old 11-23-2004, 10:53 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I plugged mine two years ago. Then last winter I went the next step and pulled the whole heater box/heater core assembly out of the car. No problems.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:29 AM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the hose loop. I tried the plugs, but they didn't hold. I'm back to the hose loop. My heater core is fine - passed the balloon test - and I'll be hooking it back up soon to get the extra cooling capacity.

If you do the hose loop, you may need to get a plug fitting, as the two hoses are not the same size.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:43 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by greyghost79
heater core rotted out. decided to bypass since i'm a fair weather corvetter anyway. was going to plug heater hose outlet on water pump and also inlet on intake manifold. someone told me not to do this as it would cause a "hot spot" in the manifold. said i should just run a hose from the water pump back to the manifold. inlet is so near the thermostat anyway i'm skeptical about this hot spot thing. opinions, please?
Not all cars had heaters. Heater delete was possible in some cars. They plugged the bosses and covered the openings.

-Mark.

Get notified of new replies

To heater bypass or plug it up???

Quick Reply: heater bypass or plug it up???