C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best thermal barrier for keeping engine heat out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 01:48 AM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What is the best thermal barrier for keeping engine heat out?

My Big block throws out some heat. In the summer its hard to drive it here in Texas. I know we have talked about this before, but I am about to take out the interior and replace carpet so .. nows the time.

My options are:

Dynamat - Extreme or etc?
B-quiet's Brown paper or whatever its called
Carpet with foil backed thermal barrier
Corvette thermal barrier pads from various

Any help would be great... I need the best solution. Anything else and I will want to sell the old girl next summer...wife would like it

thanks

carbster09
Old 11-29-2004, 03:49 AM
Jay M
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The most important thing to do is plug all the holes! You be supprised at how many hole there can be in the fire wall and transmission tunnel, and how much heat can get through even a small one.

I simply plugged the holes, and replaces the stock transmission sheild and ther is not a huge difference. I though about putting some sort of thermal barier on the firewall in the engine compartment, but I decided I didn't want it to look like a lunar landing module in there

Be careful adding thick isulation under the carpet- it can make the interior not fit right.

~Jay

Quick Reply: What is the best thermal barrier for keeping engine heat out?