C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baby Oil On Leather Seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 04:05 PM
BUGGSY1970
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe thats where I heard it.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:06 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by UKPaul
Baby oil isn't just for babies..
This guy looked about 60 & has been selling leather jackets all his life. He told me not to bother with the expensive leather care products but to use either baby oil or womens skin moisturiser.
Many moons ago, i used to formulate skin care products and was surprised (and somehow disapointed) to find that leather products were almost identical with a different perfume. You simply want to avoid ones with petroleum jelly (Vaseline) as they don't absorb very well. As a skin barrier, these are great. As a seat lubricant, they have a down side. Baby oil is a nice compromise.

So now I see a post saying that baby oil is good on leather upholstery & am starting to wonder if I was wrong in thinking the guy was just an old perv :lol
Don't jump to conclusions Paul, you may have been right the first time.

Baby oil is a nightmare to get out of clothes & hair, so isn't covering your seats in it a bit risky? Wont it get all over you when you sit on them? :
This is ultimately the key. Any oil or silicone prep will help soften and preaserve leather, but if you slide off the seat every time you brake, you've probably over done it. As with many things, moderation is important. More frequent, small applications are FAR better than drowning the seats in baby oil. Incidentally, i wouldn't use baby oil on vinyl. it will leave a nice shine, but probably won't ever soak in and will catch dust very effectively. Stick to Armor All.

Last edited by CA-Legal-Vette; 12-01-2004 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:19 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey Codestar7 Speaking of seats the one in that avitar not bad at all I'd like to rub some baby oil on that one
Old 12-03-2004, 07:13 PM
74droptop
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by page62
Stick this between your IMG's:
http://www.mattinglis.com/albums/corvette/inglis_31.jpg

It's awfully big, though...

What sepentine set up is that??????
I want to do the same.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:07 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
Don't jump to conclusions Paul, you may have been right the first time.
That's what I was thinking. I mean, it takes one to know one!!
Incidentally, i wouldn't use baby oil on vinyl. it will leave a nice shine, but probably won't ever soak in and will catch dust very effectively. Stick to Armor All.
Do not use anything like Armor All or Autoglym on vinyl m/cycle seats!!! I can see how baby oil will protect, soften & prevent leather from drying out & cracking, but wouldn't even a small bit cause it to be slippery? Even a small drop of baby oil on skin makes it slippery (so I've heard), wouldn't the same apply with leather?
Speaking of seats the one in that avitar not bad at all I'd like to rub some baby oil on that one
AH-HA!!
Old 12-06-2004, 06:51 AM
'77BABE
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone should do a research on this. It's great that some cheaper products seem to work, but in the long run I don't know. Would be a shame if you ruined the leather eventually by using them. For now I'll stick to the products formulated for leather.
(But I have to say those seats look great!)

Quick Reply: Baby Oil On Leather Seats