C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dimmer Mechanism on Steer Column

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 09:21 PM
bamachemist
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dimmer Mechanism on Steer Column

I have a question from a friend of mine who is doing a body off on his 77 Vette. He is installing the steering column and cannot get the dimmer(high beam) mechanism to function properly. The rod is inserted into the hole inside the column and the other end is in the actuator, but it does not seem to be working properly. (no movenment when you pull the turn signal switch forward on the steering column). Aside from dissasembing the entire steering column, can this be re-installed properly? If so, how? He has about 8 different manuals on corvettes and not one addresses this (aside from taking apart the steering wheel). FYI-The steering column is out of the car.

Any advice on this is appreciated.

Roll Tide Roll!!!!
Old 12-08-2004, 11:40 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

i could never get mine to work so I put a high beam dimmer switch on the floor like the older cars had, i made a floor bracket for it and the harness is almost an exact fit i had to cut off the "retaining clip" and it works fine.....maybe not the answer you want but there is another alternative........
Old 12-08-2004, 11:48 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
i could never get mine to work so I put a high beam dimmer switch on the floor like the older cars had, i made a floor bracket for it and the harness is almost an exact fit i had to cut off the "retaining clip" and it works fine.....maybe not the answer you want but there is another alternative........
I always liked the floor switches anyway. You could be real cool and get one of those foot shaped things to go on top of it.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:42 AM
holley505
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The dimmer switch in my 77 makes a buzz noise all the time when the lights are on?

What is up with the 77 lights??
Old 12-09-2004, 11:57 AM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Check the articles by Jim Shea at FAQ, he has several on the steering wheel assembly. Here's one on a standard

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/Std69-...HornParts2.doc
Old 12-09-2004, 12:07 PM
cmac72
Instructor

Does the rod move at all when the lever is pulled? If so, it is a matter of simply moving the switch up the steering column so that it is engaged by the rod. If the rod doesn't move at all then I would expect that something is up where it connects to the lever.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:35 PM
bamachemist
Cruising

Originally Posted by cmac72
Does the rod move at all when the lever is pulled? If so, it is a matter of simply moving the switch up the steering column so that it is engaged by the rod. If the rod doesn't move at all then I would expect that something is up where it connects to the lever.

The switch doesn't click when the level is pulled....we tried every position of the switch...there doesnt seem to be enough movement in the rod to activate the switch even when the switch is in the highest positon.......this is driving him crazy...he is trying to avoid taking the steering wheel apart, put it doesn't look like that'll happen.....

Get notified of new replies

To Dimmer Mechanism on Steer Column

Quick Reply: Dimmer Mechanism on Steer Column