C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help car starts to (drift) at high speeds

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 09:38 AM
ICEMAN59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help car starts to (drift) at high speeds

I took the car for a 250 mile ride Yesterday on some hilly winding roads, it did great but on the straights or even curves above 70mph the car seems to drift, like all of a sudden go one way or the other. It scared the sh** out of me when there was oncoming traffic. What on earth is causing this. The suspension has been rebuilt with new poly bushings, Bilstien shocks, etc., and everything seems to be tight. Could it be my steering box. It's not noticable at lower speeds?

Thanks in advance,
THE ICEMAN
Keith
Old 12-19-2004, 09:58 AM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of shape are your trailing arms in? Bad T/A arm bushings can actually cause you to change lanes when you change speed.

Mine were bad, had Van Steel install new ones 2 years ago. My Vette used to be a REAL adventure to drive!
Old 12-19-2004, 11:04 AM
ICEMAN59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by isosceles
what kind of shape are your trailing arms in? Bad T/A arm bushings can actually cause you to change lanes when you change speed.

Mine were bad, had Van Steel install new ones 2 years ago. My Vette used to be a REAL adventure to drive!
I replaced all the bushings with polys, and all that looks good, I loosened my steering box and it seemed to get worse, so I tightened it and it helped but I have it bottomed out, I guesss it's time to replace or rebuild it
Old 12-19-2004, 11:11 AM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Could also be your steering. Stock vette steering can be like that. Not a lot of feel for the road and will move on you, which is more noticeable at higher speeds. I just keep a good grip on the wheel and try not to over correct as I drive. Steeroids, which is a rack and pinion modification, will correct this. Be sure to check the power steering fluid level as well. If you have a leak at one of the many possibilities with the stock setup this could cause your problem too. Other possibilities is; front end out of alignment, worn tires, bad shocks. Start with the easiest things to check and work your way through. Hope this helps you pinpoint your problem/problems.

Bernie
Old 12-19-2004, 11:12 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Sometimes an alteration in alignment can cure this. It did for me several years ago. Unfortunately I don't have the specs but I believe they are in the Corvette FAQs.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:29 PM
Casper
Le Mans Master

My '82 would swap lanes when hitting small lane ruts. turned out a simple alignment cured it. I also went one size narrower on the front tires.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:13 PM
ICEMAN59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

The tires are new, shocks are new, but it needs an alignment so this is where I'll start. I can't believe, but I didn't think to check the ps fluid and with all the work I did it wouldn't suprise me if it's low or I had a leak.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Keith
Old 12-19-2004, 04:11 PM
LIQUIDDRAGON
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most likely it is a rear tire problem. jack the back of your car up off the ground and see if the back tires have any play up and down and side to side. keep us informed of your progress
Old 12-19-2004, 04:22 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

thats why i went to the steroids rack and pinon unit....even after rebuilding the front end and total rear rebuild my steering system was tighter....but not even close to any of my modern rides. Ruts were positively scary until i tightened up the steering box, but it just wasn't the steering experience i wanted....so i decided to bite the big one and go with the rack and pinion, can't wait to drive it....
Old 12-19-2004, 04:47 PM
greyghost79
Burning Brakes

Steeroids?? where to get?
Old 12-19-2004, 05:03 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod

Originally Posted by greyghost79
Steeroids?? where to get?

all the vendors have it now.... i paid full price from Corvette Central...when i needed it i couldn't find a better price......
Old 12-19-2004, 05:23 PM
ICEMAN59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Duh it was low on ps fluid, it ain't no Ferrari but it definatley improved with fluid in the brand new pump. Now my tranny won't shift new 2004R stage 3 and my speedo quit working
Old 12-19-2004, 06:09 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

great good news....some times the easy fixes are the hardest to find....we are so use to hunting for things we miss the obvious..

Get notified of new replies

To Help car starts to (drift) at high speeds

Quick Reply: Help car starts to (drift) at high speeds