C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repost: '69 427/435hp Tri-power, 4spd, $32K... Good Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 11:45 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Repost: '69 427/435hp Tri-power, 4spd, $32K... Good Deal?

There is a '69 427/435 for sale here in Tampa. The owner rebuilds corvettes and has had this car for some time. Maroon exterior, black interior, t-top, 4-speed, 427/435 matching numbers with 3 deuces. About 62K orig miles. The car looks very clean and straight inside and out and pretty immaculate under the hood. He has been asking $30-32K for some time now and my guess is the right buyer hasn't come along.

Good deal?

This may sound crazy but if I were to buy it, I'd want to drive for pleasure often. Would this much engine require de-tuning to run on 93 octane?
Old 12-20-2004, 12:26 PM
mstanton
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the car is a true numbers matching 435hp in good shape, I think that 30-32K is fair. As for the gas, fi you need to, you can get additive to boost the octane and/or add lead or lead substitute. I did it for a 70 LT-1 I used to have and it wasn't a big deal.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Ted
If you want, you can bring the car by and we can throw it on a lift if you'de like.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:55 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Van Steel
Ted
If you want, you can bring the car by and we can throw it on a lift if you'de like.
before you shell out that kind of dough spend a couple hundred to have somone look at it who knows what they are talking about.......
Old 12-20-2004, 02:40 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

All,

Thanks for the good feedback. I'm going to 'casually' pass the '69 427/435 by the wife when she gets back from Christmas shopping...

I stopped over at the store today; had to have my mounted seat covers clipped into place. They took care of them for $27. What a deal.

I asked about the 427/435 and they definitely still have it. There isn't alot of demand for it since, in the owner's words "It's not a warm-weather car, it idoes better in colder climates where it won't overheat in heavy traffic". They also mentioned that a crack developed in the right front quarter panel due to the "'twisting' of the frame from the engine...". They claimed this is a common problem where the big-block cars with considerable torque tend to crack the front quarters; requiring body repairs. Apparently, they are going to repair the cracked body panel very soon.

Will keey y'all advised.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:24 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Body cracked because of engine torque? BS, in my humble opinon. And a big block engine in good condition, with a radiator in good condition, should not be overheating, even in Florida. I'd definitely get that car checked out before I turned over a dime. With 62K miles, it should be in damned good condition (I've got 52K original on my car, and the upholstery and carpet show little wear and the car is very tight--no rattles and the steering is very positive). If that milage is correct and there are no other real problems, 30K is a good deal IMHO.

JB
Old 12-20-2004, 06:20 PM
Scudd
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TedH
All,

Thanks for the good feedback. I'm going to 'casually' pass the '69 427/435 by the wife when she gets back from Christmas shopping...

I stopped over at the store today; had to have my mounted seat covers clipped into place. They took care of them for $27. What a deal.

I asked about the 427/435 and they definitely still have it. There isn't alot of demand for it since, in the owner's words "It's not a warm-weather car, it idoes better in colder climates where it won't overheat in heavy traffic". They also mentioned that a crack developed in the right front quarter panel due to the "'twisting' of the frame from the engine...". They claimed this is a common problem where the big-block cars with considerable torque tend to crack the front quarters; requiring body repairs. Apparently, they are going to repair the cracked body panel very soon.

Will keey y'all advised.

The place your talking about sells Vettes that have been in accidents and rebuilt. Some have been totaled , others come pretty close. I wouldn't be suprised if that Vette has been pretty F'd up at one point in time. The do have good prices, though.
I've seen that Vette, it looks, real nice. It's been there for like 3 or 4 years.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:35 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

He has been asking $30-32K for some time now and my guess is the right buyer hasn't come along.
Be careful, the right buyer is often called "sucker."

If you're truly interested, get it checked out by a third party. Body cracking from the torque? BS. It might if the frame is rusty. No vehicle should ever overheat regularily if at factory specs. Maybe if the engine was actually wild it would, but it is just a stock engine.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:59 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Just make sure to ask for proper documenttation, LOTS of clones out there.

As far as the "Stress Crack", it does happen, but this is seen mostly on cars with radical cams. 35yr old fiberglass that has been heated and cool w/ the weather changes + a radical cam with serious lope can and will cause minor stress cracks. I can vouch firsthand with this info.

Good luck.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:21 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Just make sure to ask for proper documenttation, LOTS of clones out there.

As far as the "Stress Crack", it does happen, but this is seen mostly on cars with radical cams. 35yr old fiberglass that has been heated and cool w/ the weather changes + a radical cam with serious lope can and will cause minor stress cracks. I can vouch firsthand with this info.

Good luck.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:10 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

All,

If I go to the next level on this car, I'll definitely take it over to Van Steel for an examination on the rack.

Danny, you folks real busy this week? I know anything after Thursday runs into Christmas. Thought I should check now...
Old 12-20-2004, 09:13 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Scudd
The place your talking about sells Vettes that have been in accidents and rebuilt. Some have been totaled , others come pretty close. I wouldn't be suprised if that Vette has been pretty F'd up at one point in time. The do have good prices, though.
I've seen that Vette, it looks, real nice. It's been there for like 3 or 4 years.
Yep, that's the place. I used to drive over just to look at it and and drool. If I go the next step, I'll take it to Van Steel for closer inspection. I'll also be asking about accidents/damage. I think they have to make that known (if they know), don't they?
Old 12-20-2004, 09:47 PM
codestar7
Burning Brakes

Default Body crack

Partner, that cars got a steel welded ladder frame, the body is rubber mounted, the 427 is rubber mounted on either side to that ladder frame and if it gets away you chain it (to the Frame). There realy is no conection from the Engine to the body unless you count the wiring harnes or the flimsy linkage to the gear shift or to the carburator / clutch, non of those are gonna crack the body. I owned a 1968 427 that would literaly burn a pair of tires off! No body cracks, he's makin up something, it's just a flat lie. Buyer Beware, dat ting was wrecked......
Old 12-20-2004, 10:34 PM
Scudd
Safety Car

Yep, that's the place. I used to drive over just to look at it and and drool. If I go the next step, I'll take it to Van Steel for closer inspection. I'll also be asking about accidents/damage. I think they have to make that known (if they know), don't they?

I know on their web site they clearly tell you that a car has been totaled, but they dont say anything about how much damage it might have recieved if it was not totaled. That would be a nice drive across the bridge to Van Steel, anything thats wrong would show up on that trip I would think.

Last edited by Scudd; 12-21-2004 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:58 AM
Van Steel

All,

If I go to the next level on this car, I'll definitely take it over to Van Steel for an examination on the rack.

Danny, you folks real busy this week? I know anything after Thursday runs into Christmas. Thought I should check now...

Bring it on down
Old 12-21-2004, 01:22 PM
MEGALADON
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet they know who Van Steel is
Tell them you would like to take the
car to them for inspection, then see
if they hesitate, or spill the truth
they may have kept it that long for a reason.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:38 PM
bracketshark
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by codestar7
Partner, that cars got a steel welded ladder frame, the body is rubber mounted, the 427 is rubber mounted on either side to that ladder frame and if it gets away you chain it (to the Frame). There realy is no conection from the Engine to the body unless you count the wiring harnes or the flimsy linkage to the gear shift or to the carburator / clutch, non of those are gonna crack the body. I owned a 1968 427 that would literaly burn a pair of tires off! No body cracks, he's makin up something, it's just a flat lie. Buyer Beware, dat ting was wrecked......
How about where the radiator support bolts to the inner fenders which attach to the fenders themselves, I agree its unlikely the engine caused a cracked a fender but with some frame flex I think it could be possible. Good advice to have it checked out.

Get notified of new replies

To Repost: '69 427/435hp Tri-power, 4spd, $32K... Good Deal?

Old 12-21-2004, 03:59 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Van Steel
Bring it on down
Old 12-21-2004, 04:31 PM
Van Steel

Tedh
Whats the name of the place that has the car??
Old 12-23-2004, 11:12 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Corvette Shop and Supplies on Dale Mabry Hwy.

Quick update, my wife talked me into waiting until I finish the '80, sell it and have money in hand. We can't afford the $30K debt. My head says she is right but my heart's hurtin' anyway.

Thanks for all of the good info!

P.S. Not sure if I had posted this info:

True L89 t-top coupe.
Never wrecked (at least no record of it)
Original engine/trans, engine rebuilt at least once.

Quick Reply: Repost: '69 427/435hp Tri-power, 4spd, $32K... Good Deal?