C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to Ident Noisy Lifter

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 11:46 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Need to Ident Noisy Lifter

I have a noisy lifter that I need to replace. I've gone the route of eliminating all exhaust noises, valve adjustments and thought I may have resolved with an oil change but the 'tap tap tap' is back. I'm about to dive into the top-end and pull the lifters. Is there any way (using Sun machine?) to identify the suspicious lifter? The car runs fine; just lifter noise. Also, as I pull the lifters, are there any teltale signs that I can look for that would visibly show the offending lifter? I may just replace all 16 and break them in again (worst case scenario). I'll also be inspecting the cam lobes where possible.

Valvetrain: Crane Energizer cam/lifters, Summit hardened moly push rods, Summit stamped steel 1.5R rockers and the DART Iron Eagle heads came assembled from Indy Cylinder Head in Indianapolis, IN.

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2004, 12:19 PM
Aeromech
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default indy member

hey Ted I live In Indy... I'v heard good and bad about I.C.H never used them myself so who knows... Good luck
Old 12-27-2004, 12:31 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by TedH
Is there any way (using Sun machine?) to identify the suspicious lifter? The car runs fine; just lifter noise. Thanks!
Just thinking out loud here.....wouldn't a noisy lifter have more valve lash then the others??? since its not expanding all the way?
Old 12-27-2004, 02:33 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I found that #7 required more lash than the others... approx 1/4-1/2 turn more to get sound reduction. That was also where the sound appeared the loudest when the valve covers were off. I'd hate to replace only #7 intake/exhaust. Was thinking of also replacing #5 I/E for insurance but I'd really hate to go to the trouble of pulling the intake and replacing gaskets to find there are other cylinders with marginal lifters also. The rebuild has 30K on it (rebuilt summer 1999).
Old 12-27-2004, 02:39 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by TedH
I found that #7 required more lash than the others... approx 1/4-1/2 turn more to get sound reduction. That was also where the sound appeared the loudest when the valve covers were off. I'd hate to replace only #7 intake/exhaust. Was thinking of also replacing #5 I/E for insurance but I'd really hate to go to the trouble of pulling the intake and replacing gaskets to find there are other cylinders with marginal lifters also. The rebuild has 30K on it (rebuilt summer 1999).

not sure what to tell you.... sounds like you have isolated it to #7...new generic hydraulic lifters from Summit are about $60....
Old 12-27-2004, 02:51 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried running a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil in your oil? It dissolves varnish that often causes noisey lifters. Joe
Old 12-27-2004, 02:58 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lifters are fairly inexpensive. Why not just replace them all? Also, check the lobe lift on the cam while you're in there. You might want to replace that too....

Brett
Old 12-27-2004, 05:04 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Brett,

To be honest, I really like this cam. Engine doesn't quite produce the HP levels of injected engines but the Torque at the rear wheels compared to some (stock) C5's on the dyno! If the cam lobes are undamaged, I'll just be replacing the full set of lifters.

All, Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be sending my order to Summit or Jegs this week (full set lifters, top end gaskets, and rocker nuts).

Get notified of new replies

To Need to Ident Noisy Lifter

Quick Reply: Need to Ident Noisy Lifter