C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake lights, plunger switch, 700r4 relay wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 09:50 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Default brake lights, plunger switch, 700r4 relay wiring

need some help....i'm having a hard time figuring out the electrical schematic on my 77 brake light switch....i need to tap into the wire that sends power to the brake lights after the brakes are applied....this will go the relay for my 700r4 transmission...on the plunger switch i have two connections one with a white wire and two orange wires and one connection with a red wire and pink wire....i have figured out the red and pink wires are cruise control wires no longer in use....

where i'm getting lost is that it almost looks like the white wire is bringing power to the plunger and then one of the two orange wires goes to the fuse box (already energized with power) and then to the steering column turn signal....

can someone help me out here....any thoughts on which wire brings power to the brake lights... thks bob

edit : forgot to mention car has no power right now since the engine swap...i have not hooked everything back up yet....

Last edited by bobs77vet; 12-29-2004 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:54 AM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob,

You may want to consider using B&M's wiring kit for your turbo 700.

It does require a switched 12+ power source but will ONLY lock up in 4th gear.... I used one in a 700 10 years ago and it worked well.....

Bob
Old 12-29-2004, 10:54 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod

Originally Posted by Bob Turner
Bob,

You may want to consider using B&M's wiring kit for your turbo 700.

It does require a switched 12+ power source but will ONLY lock up in 4th gear.... I used one in a 700 10 years ago and it worked well.....

Bob

this is the wiring kit from Bow Tie Overdrive.....its a nice kit just need to figure out which wire is the brake light circuit to splice into .... thks bob
Old 12-29-2004, 11:15 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Just use the cruise part of the switch. Look on S & P's website, I think the wiring diagram is on it.

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/

Just look under online tech and it's labeled as a GM brake light switch. I would past it, but it's a PDF.

Last edited by Budman68; 12-29-2004 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:33 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I used a brake light switch from a 88 buick lesabre with cruise and wired it to the purple wire on the lasbres wiring harness plug that i cut off.

http://www.chevythunder.com/fuel%20i....%20pg%20D.htm

Last edited by patsnitrovette; 12-29-2004 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:41 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

thks guys

Budman the plunger switch i have is different....

Pat since my cruise control is abandoned i may see if i can use that portion of the switch.....i may need to run power to it....
Old 12-29-2004, 01:00 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
thks guys

Budman the plunger switch i have is different....

Pat since my cruise control is abandoned i may see if i can use that portion of the switch.....i may need to run power to it....
You will need to run power to it. The link I sent should have a part # on it.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:06 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Originally Posted by Budman78
You will need to run power to it. The link I sent should have a part # on it.
are you thinking i should swap the plunger style switch i have for the one they reference? thks bob
Old 12-29-2004, 06:10 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I also used a later switch on mine. Take an ohm-meter and check continuity. With pedal pushed in you should have continuity between the white and orange wires. With pedal no pushed you need continuity between 2 others. Use ignition switched power to one side and the other goes to the transmission for lockup.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:31 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

just drove to VA from NJ for the newyear.....BUDMAN are you thinking that picture you pointed me to is a representaional drawing ....i was looking at it as a literal drawing and was hung up on where they had the leads coming out of....so as i was crusiing on 95 for hours it slowly dawned on me that perhjaps this is drawing represents the switch in ageneric fashion??

MARKTN thks, i will have to hook up the power when i get back to sort this all out....
Old 12-29-2004, 10:47 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

The drawing I sent was for the 700R4 hook up using a TPI. The switch just unlocks the convertor when you hit the brakes. It cuts the power to the switch when you apply the brake. The TPI lock and unlock the convertor via the ECM, ie the wire from the brake pedal.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:52 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

thks i'll tackle this next week when i get back....
Old 12-30-2004, 09:48 AM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Bob- Sounds like you are on the right track! Good luck and Happy New Year.

Bob
Old 12-30-2004, 10:02 AM
ManFromEagle
Instructor

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
need some help....i'm having a hard time figuring out the electrical schematic on my 77 brake light switch....i need to tap into the wire that sends power to the brake lights after the brakes are applied....this will go the relay for my 700r4 transmission...on the plunger switch i have two connections one with a white wire and two orange wires and one connection with a red wire and pink wire....i have figured out the red and pink wires are cruise control wires no longer in use....

where i'm getting lost is that it almost looks like the white wire is bringing power to the plunger and then one of the two orange wires goes to the fuse box (already energized with power) and then to the steering column turn signal....

can someone help me out here....any thoughts on which wire brings power to the brake lights... thks bob

edit : forgot to mention car has no power right now since the engine swap...i have not hooked everything back up yet....
One of the orange wires goes to the Traffic Hazard flasher and is hot all the time as the flasher is connected to the fuse box. The other orange wire goes to the warning unit.

The white wire goes to the directional signal/hazard switch assembly. That wire is connected to the orange when you step on the brake.

The red and pink are for the cruise. The pink is hot and connected to the fuse box. The red goes to the cruise engage switch. Unlike the brake the two wires are connected until you step on the brake.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:26 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Originally Posted by Man from Eagle
One of the orange wires goes to the Traffic Hazard flasher and is hot all the time as the flasher is connected to the fuse box. The other orange wire goes to the warning unit.

The white wire goes to the directional signal/hazard switch assembly. That wire is connected to the orange when you step on the brake.

The red and pink are for the cruise. The pink is hot and connected to the fuse box. The red goes to the cruise engage switch. Unlike the brake the two wires are connected until you step on the brake.

Hope that helps.

yes it does thank you....for some reason my ability to grasp this one quickly has been noticably absent....but i do have it now.... now that i have a full picture i realize i was even reading the schematic backwards....maybe it was the cumulative effect of too much hoilday fun.....any way....the wire i need to hook up to is the white wire for my relay to work when the brakes are applied....Guys thanks for sticking with me on this one and giving me the help , i appreciate it......happy new year to all,bob

Get notified of new replies

To brake lights, plunger switch, 700r4 relay wiring

Quick Reply: brake lights, plunger switch, 700r4 relay wiring