C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's alive It's alive!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's alive It's alive!!!

The clock came out of the grave..........twice!

Jan 2003
When I bought her it never worked and while replacing the lighter element (not in anyway connected to the same wiring circuit) the clock came alive.

Jan 2005
After replacing the ammeter and never coming close to the clock or it's wiring I put the dash together and the clock was dead again. After driving the Vette to/from work it now works. May have happended when I did the bunny hop after leaving some long black streaks in front of the local gas station but who knows.

Second hand is fast and covers one full sweep in 52 seconds but who cares I never use it for a clock just cool to have it work. These cars sure are quirky (have a mind of their own)

Old 01-06-2005, 10:48 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Give it a week. Mine works every full moon and on thursdays at 9:00 am.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:52 PM
olouieo
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine only works twice a day.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:55 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

that's pretty cool. I'm still waiting for mine to come back to life. If it doens't happen soon, it's getting replaced with a tranny temp guage!
Old 01-06-2005, 11:04 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by olouieo
Mine only works twice a day.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:07 PM
Corvus
Burning Brakes

Yup mine works twice a day too!
Old 01-06-2005, 11:43 PM
RHD '68 L89
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

David, Sorry to throw aspersions at you but the clock and the cigarette lighter are on the same circuit. Use the same fuse- CTSY/CLK covers the clock, Lighter courtesy and dome.
The main problem most of the electromechanical clocks have is the points burn out and wont energise the coil used for "winding" the mechanism. A sharp knock may cause enough contact for it to work again until the points get crusty once more.
You can adjust the clock speed by turning the adjustment **** more than 3 minutes faster or slower to bring it back to the correct time. Its on page 19 of the owner's manual.
They also require regular cleaning and oiling for optimum performance
Old 01-07-2005, 12:05 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

its a Christmas miracle
Old 01-07-2005, 01:42 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RHD '68 L89
David, Sorry to throw aspersions at you but the clock and the cigarette lighter are on the same circuit. Use the same fuse- CTSY/CLK covers the clock, Lighter courtesy and dome.
The main problem most of the electromechanical clocks have is the points burn out and wont energise the coil used for "winding" the mechanism. A sharp knock may cause enough contact for it to work again until the points get crusty once more.
You can adjust the clock speed by turning the adjustment **** more than 3 minutes faster or slower to bring it back to the correct time. Its on page 19 of the owner's manual.
They also require regular cleaning and oiling for optimum performance
But the fuse was fine so how did changing a lighter element cuase the clock to restart?

Old 01-07-2005, 01:51 PM
stingry
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by Cali,68,L-79
But the fuse was fine so how did changing a lighter element cuase the clock to restart?

I don't have the schematic in front of me but here are some possible ideas:

1. You changed the resistance in that circuit thus the clock got a higher operting voltage.
2. You bumped the clock in the process and dislodged some oxidisation on contacts so it will work for a while.
3. Whatever you changed was partially shorted out before and now the clock has full voltage.

Electicity is s fickle thing. You only need just enough for thing to work. A little less voltage or slightly more resistance and things stop working.

I put the quartz movement in. Hasn't missed a beat since.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:15 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by stingry
But thats cheating
Old 01-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by BB wowbagger
But thats cheating
yes it is....mine (quartz) should be here tonight and installed in the morning...
Old 01-07-2005, 02:29 PM
i885744
Pro

i have 2 clocks for the vette. The origional one worked only when you were touching the adjustment **** for some reason, and when you went over big bumps it would go for about a minute. Changed it out with a different one i had in the garage and it worked for about a month great, it too is now accurate just twice a day.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:59 PM
RHD '68 L89
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cali,68,L-79
I think Stingry covered it for me
Old 01-07-2005, 08:12 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I don't have the schematic in front of me but here are some possible ideas:

1. You changed the resistance in that circuit thus the clock got a higher operting voltage.
2. You bumped the clock in the process and dislodged some oxidisation on contacts so it will work for a while.
3. Whatever you changed was partially shorted out before and now the clock has full voltage.

Electicity is s fickle thing. You only need just enough for thing to work. A little less voltage or slightly more resistance and things stop working.

My lighter element is just a chunk of rust... maybe I can fix my clock by replacing that... ??? .... interessting......
Old 01-07-2005, 09:23 PM
cicconjo
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought the "do-it-yourself" quartz clock kit. I took a few hours one night to open up the console, take out the old clcok, take it apart, put the new motor in and seal it back up. When I hooked it up to the battery, nothing, no movement. I was suprised that this happened because I'd tested it on free-standing battery before I put it back in. My thought was that a fuse was previously blown, which may have meant that my original clock was actually still functional. I let it sit overnight and the next day it was working and hasn't stopped yet. Figure that one out. Mind of their own for sure.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:17 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cicconjo
I bought the "do-it-yourself" quartz clock kit. I took a few hours one night to open up the console, take out the old clcok, take it apart, put the new motor in and seal it back up. When I hooked it up to the battery, nothing, no movement. I was suprised that this happened because I'd tested it on free-standing battery before I put it back in. My thought was that a fuse was previously blown, which may have meant that my original clock was actually still functional. I let it sit overnight and the next day it was working and hasn't stopped yet. Figure that one out. Mind of their own for sure.
See that sort of **** bothers me thus the reason i never bought the kit. Actually I'm stoked the original clock made by GM in March of 1968 is working, whether it keeps accurate time or not is another issue, but I'm tickled pink.

Get notified of new replies

To It's alive It's alive!!!

Old 01-07-2005, 10:17 PM
darrentpi
Instructor

What would happen if you soaked the thing in wd-40 for a while, mine has never worked, thinking of doing this-
Old 01-07-2005, 10:22 PM
stingry
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by BB wowbagger
But thats cheating
I know its cheating. I am trying to introduce a corvette unknown................reliability...
Old 01-07-2005, 11:19 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by darrentpi
What would happen if you soaked the thing in wd-40 for a while, mine has never worked, thinking of doing this-
2 words. electrical fire

Quick Reply: It's alive It's alive!!!