C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT4 HOT Cam in a "Standard" SBC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 11:10 PM
Ex_F-Body_Enthusiast
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Default LT4 HOT Cam in a "Standard" SBC?

Hi,

I have a used LT4 HOT cam in my garage that I had originally planned to stab in my '94 LT1 powered Trans Am. But I traded that car for my current '82 Corvette.

So I was wondering if I can I use this cam say in a crate motor that already has factory hyd. roller lifters, or even an older SBC with aftermarket hyd. rollers? I believe it should work, because I've heard that the ZZ430 crate used the LT4 HOT cam, but I'm not sure if its *exactly* the same cam, or if it may have just shared the LT4 HOT lobe profiles. Just need to get a "warm fuzzy"! TIA!
Old 01-06-2005, 11:12 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it'd work, the only thing I'd worry about is whether it has the gear to drive the distributor as the LT1s had optispark.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Ex_F-Body_Enthusiast
Racer

Originally Posted by Schmucker
I think it'd work, the only thing I'd worry about is whether it has the gear to drive the distributor as the LT1s had optispark.
Right, it does have a pressed-in drive pin for the "opti-crap" that I should be able to pull out. Which brings up another question about what timing gear can be used with this cam?
Old 01-07-2005, 06:38 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

i had to use a melonized gear on my zz4 roller cam in my 73 block.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:58 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought there were slight differences in the drive end, using a thrust bearing behind the gear or something odd like that? Also, see if it has a fuel pump drive cam if using a mechanical pump. Joe
Old 01-07-2005, 08:11 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

i used a crane needle bearing cam button between the cam and timing cover, and used a roller bearing behind my timing chain cam gear.i also know of someone that has the hot cam in his and he uses a mechanical pump.But check anyway to be extra sure.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Ex_F-Body_Enthusiast
Racer

Thanks for the replies; you guys brought up some good points about the distributor gear and mechanical fuel pump (even though I would probably retain the stock electric pump in my '82's tank and regulate the pressure as needed).

So, I went out to the garage to check out the cam, and it does have the eccentric lobe for a mechanical pump as well as a normal distributor drive gear. Of course the cam is machined from billet steel (instead of cast iron) so I may need to run a special distributor gear as mentioned above.

Are there any other things I need to check out? I also noticed on the front face there's a 90 degree step milled around the circumference, so the timing gear mounting surface is a smaller diameter for some reason. Any ideas about the timing gear I would need to run?
Old 01-07-2005, 09:57 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

i used a cloyes double roller setup for a roller cam and bought it for a 89 trans am 5.7 motor since they came factory with roller cams.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:37 AM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

I bought my LT 4 "Hot Cam" from my friend that was running it in his 383 stroked LT1 for a short period of time - decided he needed more power. It fit directly into my ZZ4 block with no modifications. I run a standard HEI distributer and a mechanical fuel pump. So, I would think it would work in any other SBC that was machined for a factory roller cam.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:43 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Jason yes if he puts it into a already factory roller motor then yes put it in use the cam plate and oem lifters hell be fine,but if he puts it into an older block hell have to make the changes especially retro roller lifters.The zz4 motor already came setup with roller cam and the right gear for the dist.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:57 AM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by patsnitrovette
Jason yes if he puts it into a already factory roller motor then yes put it in use the cam plate and oem lifters hell be fine,but if he puts it into an older block hell have to make the changes especially retro roller lifters.The zz4 motor already came setup with roller cam and the right gear for the dist.
good point
Old 01-08-2005, 12:46 PM
Ex_F-Body_Enthusiast
Racer

Originally Posted by Jason Staley
I bought my LT 4 "Hot Cam" from my friend that was running it in his 383 stroked LT1 for a short period of time - decided he needed more power. It fit directly into my ZZ4 block with no modifications. I run a standard HEI distributer and a mechanical fuel pump. So, I would think it would work in any other SBC that was machined for a factory roller cam.
Thanks for the info! How do you like the cam and its driveability with a carb? How much vacuum at idle? How's the power, any dyno or 1/4 mile #'s?

Get notified of new replies

To LT4 HOT Cam in a "Standard" SBC?

Quick Reply: LT4 HOT Cam in a "Standard" SBC?