C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going slow turning right or left i get a clunk clunk clunk from the rear.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 05:55 PM
stephendrewelow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going slow turning right or left i get a clunk clunk clunk from the rear.

While going slow and turning right of left I get a clunk clunk clunk from the rear end...and on hard accelleration I get a low growling noise when I have traction...any ideas?
Old 01-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

consider changing your differential fluid and see if this helps (make sure and add the limited slip additive)
Old 01-10-2005, 06:24 PM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As the post said above, change the diff. fluid being sure to add the posi additive. Then check to see if you still have noises. The additive wears out and the posi clutches start sticking together and that clunking sound is the clutches being pulled apart when you do a slow turn. The way to check this is to do slow figure eights in a parking lot after you change the fluid and add fresh additive. If the noises are gone, this was all that was wrong.

Bernie
Old 01-10-2005, 06:29 PM
stephendrewelow
Advanced

This sounds like an easy fix and I appreciate the help. Just curious what $ would it take to replace the rear end in this car. 76 vette
Old 01-10-2005, 06:48 PM
djgrelli
Racer

I had the same problem when I bought my car back in 95. I had to change the differential fluid a couple of times. I put Amsoil gear oil and the GM limited slip fluid in and haven't had a problem since.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:52 PM
mrherren
Intermediate

another thing to check, is the transmission mount. Sometimes the rubber will separate from the metal bracket and when you turn the receiver for the driveshaft will move enough to hit the bracket from the emergency brake pulley, which sits on the cross member.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:43 AM
Deep sea vet
Intermediate

Default change fluid

change the fluid, and put the additive in, I just did mine. After you change it go out in a parking lot and do a lot of right circles and left circle to get the additive into the cluches.

Get notified of new replies

To Going slow turning right or left i get a clunk clunk clunk from the rear.

Quick Reply: Going slow turning right or left i get a clunk clunk clunk from the rear.