C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about trailing arm shims

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 06:25 PM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Question about trailing arm shims

I'm in the process of putting my offset trailing arms onto my car and I have a question about the shims.

I have 2 '69 vettes in the garage right now, the shims on mine have the trailing arm basically centered (ie equal amount of shims inboard and outboard) where as on the other car there are more shims on the outboard side.

This brings me to a couple of questions...
1)does putting more shims on one side or the other on the trailing arm move the wheel further in or out in the wheel arch?

2)how does the suspension make up for the bigger distance from the trailing arm spindle to the diff? I know its only 1/4" - 3/8" depending on the shims ..but do the diff yokes slide in and out? Or is it just the suspension has less up and down travel?

cheers,
Nick
Old 01-17-2005, 06:37 PM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wondered about that myself. I then told myself that the shims in the front of the trailing would not affect the wheel in regards to it's placement within the wheel well. The half shaft would have to be lengthened or shortened to move the wheel.
I am curious as to what the trailing arms shims do. In looking at the suspenion, I assume they are there to set the toe. Looking to hear from the experts!!
Old 01-17-2005, 06:48 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

The diff yokes should not slide in and out. The shims set the toe of the rear wheels.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:00 PM
jpatrick636
Drifting

mandm, I wouldn't call myself an expert but; you are correct. The only thing the shims do is adjust the toe. Try to get the hub as strait as possible and get the car to an alignment shop as soon as it's drivable.

ivrpool, The trailing arm itself sets the location of the suspention from front to back. The half shafts set the location side to side. The shims rotate the wheel on the horizontal axis of the u-joint closest to the wheel. (Toe) The strut rods rotate the wheel on the vertical axis of the same u-joint. (Camber)
Old 01-17-2005, 07:02 PM
OldSchool
Pro

The shims set the toe..I put mine in evenly spaced (equal number) on each side.. when I went in for the alignment, the tech moved them around as prescribed by the machine..
Old 01-17-2005, 07:33 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
The diff yokes should not slide in and out. The shims set the toe of the rear wheels.
That's right. Basically, Vettes need to have all 4 wheels aligned to a certain degree unlike most cars that only need the fronts aligned.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about trailing arm shims

Quick Reply: Question about trailing arm shims