C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vendor Experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 04:17 PM
72-LT1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vendor Experience

Anyone ever deal with Tracy Performance in Michigan? Seems like a nice enough guy, just wanted anyones thoughts.

http://www.tracyvette.com/index.html

Thanks
Old 01-21-2005, 05:05 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a thread on this earlier. Seemed almost 100% negative feedback. Never dealt with them myself other than a phone call. That's all it took. I took my business elsewhere. I didn't need to ask many questions before I got the answer: Some of the Tracy Performance personnel need to enroll in charm school for some lessons. Short and rude. They were way out of the ball park as far as competitive pricing as well.

If you had a pleasant experience, great. Many of the responses on this forum reinforced my first impressions, though.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:17 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

In a word - RUN!

Charged my credit card, never shipped anything, no apologies, no parts, lost the order too.

But feel free to try them out.

-Mark.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:58 AM
72-LT1
Pro

Default Horrible Experience Last Nite

Went to Tracy Performance last nite to look at the rear he found for me, it looked fine, but he got real pissed off when I asked questions, just like his attitude on the phone.

I wanted to see the numbers on the flange, which were important to me as well as the casting date and he did not like that for some reason.

When he looked at my 66 rear end he said the posi case was probably broken and said they would look at that later. When I asked what more that would cost if it was broken, he went off on me and said he knew I was going to be like this from our phone conversation. I was stunned, just because you want to know what your getting and how much he freaks out. It was going to cost about $1,350 plus the rear I had, and used gears.

Then I told him I knew how he was from conversations with others, and on the way to my car with my diff he throws the dolly upside down and slings my diff out on his parking lot.

He took my credit card number a couple days beforehand, before he would even look for me. I told him I was going to pay cash but he wanted the card anyway. Its a good thing I read the info on the forum from you guys because I called in and cancelled my amex card on Friday, I know the jerk went right into the shop and tried to charge my card for something.

Thanks for letting me rant all.

Last edited by 72-LT1; 01-27-2005 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:12 AM
carl a
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think if that guy did that to me i would go fist to cuff.sounds like a real jerk
Old 01-27-2005, 09:28 AM
jdmick
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow what a jerk. Sounds like the CF should put up a "Don't Deal With Tracy Performance" sticky up there. No one should have to be treated like that.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:39 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a similar experience with TP in Bloomington in '99...I was looking for certain parts for my 68, and found a 321 block, thought I would get it as a spare...the guy wanted 2000...then I wanted to check the casting date, make sure it wasn't a 66 block..the guy got so snotty, said what's the big deal if it's a 66 block, just notch the cam...I just turned around and walked away
Old 01-27-2005, 10:24 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by verbanik
Went to Tracy Performance last nite to look at the rear he found for me, it looked fine, but he got real pissed off when I asked questions, just like his attitude on the phone.

I wanted to see the numbers on the flange, which were important to me as well as the casting date and he did not like that for some reason.

When he looked at my 66 rear end he said the posi case was probably broken and said they would look at that later. When I asked what more that would cost if it was broken, he went off on me and said he knew I was going to be like this from our phone conversation. I was stunned, just because you want to know what your getting and how much he freaks out. It was going to cost about $1,350 plus the rear I had, and used gears.

Then I told him I knew how he was from conversations with others, and on the way to my car with my diff he throws the dolly upside down and slings my diff out on his parking lot.

He took my credit card number a couple days beforehand, before he would even look for me. I told him I was going to pay cash but he wanted the card anyway. Its a good thing I read the info on the forum from you guys because I called in and cancelled my amex card on Friday, I know the jerk went right into the shop and tried to charge my card for something.

Thanks for letting me rant all.

Wow. I wonder how they stay in business. I would have walked away just like you did. Thats unbelieveable
Old 01-27-2005, 10:50 AM
72-LT1
Pro

Originally Posted by carl a
i think if that guy did that to me i would go fist to cuff.sounds like a real jerk
I did see red for a few seconds, but the man was just pathetic, and older than me, but I did feel like b**tch slapping him.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:53 AM
rosslato
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Van Steel
Wow. I wonder how they stay in business. I would have walked away just like you did. Thats unbelieveable
hmmmmm, heard rumors about drugs out of there and some prison time. i'll never go back there even if they're the last vendor standing
Old 01-27-2005, 11:36 AM
COMMANDER370
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by verbanik
I did see red for a few seconds, but the man was just pathetic, and older than me, but I did feel like b**tch slapping him.
Old or not he deserved that slap for the way you were treated.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:58 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like charm school didn't work too well.....

Take your rear end (pardon the pun....NOT!! ) somewhere else. There are too many other places that will do the work for you reputably and without hassle. I think Van Steel does diff rebuilds and seems to treat Forum members very well. Bair's did mine, did a great job, and have a great customer repoire. I don't know, since I UPS'd it to them I wouldn't know if they threw the UPS guy's dolly accross the parking lot...doubt it though, since they sent me the shipping box for free.

Your story is amazing. I can't believe it!!
Old 01-27-2005, 01:04 PM
djcwardog
Burning Brakes

My 2 cents - it ain't over. Go to the BBB and file a complaint! Too bad he didn't assault you (just your diffy) - you could go to the police station and swear out an arrest warrant on him as well - what an ***! He is long overdue for a reality check from good folks - and the law.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:47 PM
72-LT1
Pro

Originally Posted by LemansBlue68
Sounds like charm school didn't work too well.....

Take your rear end (pardon the pun....NOT!! ) somewhere else. There are too many other places that will do the work for you reputably and without hassle. I think Van Steel does diff rebuilds and seems to treat Forum members very well. Bair's did mine, did a great job, and have a great customer repoire. I don't know, since I UPS'd it to them I wouldn't know if they threw the UPS guy's dolly accross the parking lot...doubt it though, since they sent me the shipping box for free.

Your story is amazing. I can't believe it!!

I probable will call VanSteel for the rebuild but in the mean time I am still looking for a proper 72 rear to get rebuilt,The one he was offering was OK but I have months to look for another rebuildable one. I took a 66 out of the car, plus I have many hours of wheeling to repaint frame and I just ordered the Eastwood stuffs to do the inside of the frame where most of the rust scale is.

Last edited by 72-LT1; 01-27-2005 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:00 PM
nostgry
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Verby - I've got face to face experience with Tracy too. He acts like he's doing YOU a favor when you walk into his shop. Fortunately he knows my dad [ Ironcross ] and I didn't receive quite the scathing you did. But he still charged me top buck for used peices. Took the prices right out of Mid-Americas book. Obviously after seeing that catalog, I got my act together and found out about Corvette Central, Paragon, Ecklers , etc..

Get notified of new replies

To Vendor Experience

Quick Reply: Vendor Experience