Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Sale in NC: 1968 Convertable 502/502 with Keisler 5 Speed

Old 07-07-2007, 01:24 PM
MELVIN
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4 Sale in NC: 1968 Convertable 502/502 with Keisler 5 Speed

For sale in NC: 1968 Roadster, 502/502 with Keisler 5 speed:
Pics at http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/WFFW/

Originally, this car was a L-36 (427/390hp w/M-21 4 speed)

Car has been completely restored for 3 years now. Approx 10,000 miles have been put on it since the following work was done:

All of the following was put in new, not more than 3 years ago: Red paint (base coat/clear coat), front and rear complete suspension rebuild, seat covers and foam (correct 68 pattern), center console, door panels. 502/502 GM crate motor, with Edelbrock Fuel Injection. Conv top, brakes, brake lines, rear composite monospring, carpet, cabin insulation, rear view mirrors (ext and int), vent *****, ext door "flaps", clear gauge covers, shocks, all rubber strips, battery and cables, original and correct 1968 size wheels restored, new center caps and trim rings. New column turn signal switch. New L-88 type hood and gas tank, new heater core, new exhaust system (Flowmaster 40's) and Headman Creamic coated headers. Clock rebuilt

Original 1968 radio and speakers (works). Cabin was restored to look 1968 original with the exception of the 5 speed shifter plate. Original 427 radiator (recored). Original 3:55 rear posi rear end.

Front and rear bumpers/front bumperettes rechromed. Original unmolested dash pad with no cracks.

New ext lenses on all turn signals, brake lights, marker lights and back up lights. Tires have approx. 90% tread left

NO ROT ANYWHERE ON THE FRAME OR ELSWHERE. Trailing arms replaced with new ones, completely new inner/outer rear wheel bearings, new u joints all the way ariound

I have all receipts

Car drives and looks outstanding. With the 3;55 rear end and the Keisler 5 Speed, 1,2,3 is just about the same as the original M-21. But in 4th and 5th, its an interstate highway dream (70 mph at approx 2100 rpm!).

Some things do NOT work: Wipers work, but you must use the vacum manual over ride to open wiper door, then turn on wipers. The 68 has a really unique wiper system that Im not about to try to fix on my own. All gauges work with exception of voltmeter. Fiber optics will work, Ive just to get down there and get them hooked back up. Right turn signal indicator on interior dash does not work. Could be a bulb, but its VERY hard to get to.

I have taken this car on multiple 8 hr, one way trips to car shows, and it has never let me down. Drive it anywhere. Very street friendly, and doesnt overheat in traffic or the hwy. Original M-21 comes w/purchase. Original engine is LONG gone, so plz dont ask for it.

The edlebrock fuel injection has a hand control that will save 3 settings: You can save up to set three fuel/air/timing parameters . I have it set now for economy (hwy), with a saved around the town, and max hp (547 on a dyno at flywheel). Very easy to use. Its a hand held unit and plugs into to cord under dash if you want to change settings. Takes about 2 minutes, then just unplug

In the pics you will notice I added a 3rd brake light on the rear deck lid. Easy to remove if not wanted. Clear nick guards on the front/rear wheel wheels are clip ons

This is a VERY streetable engine, I havent changed anything internally in the 502/502. Slight lumpy idle. But it will really haul a--

Meticulous oil changes (Mobil One only) and maintenance. I have babied this car since I first got it about 6 years ago

Selling as I am finally actually retiring and moving to Northen New Mexico in about 3 months. Cant take it with me

$29,000 FRIM. Please do not ask for trades or a lower price. This is a heck of a deal as it stands. Call 910 578-4861 or doc9339@earthlink.net

I know Ive left out other new items put into this car, but you can see for yourself when you take a look
Old 07-07-2007, 04:32 PM
shrtdog
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Sweet car!! Why does it appear to be sitting so high??
Old 07-08-2007, 08:58 AM
MELVIN
Safety Car

Thats the first time anyone has ever asked that. Ive been to many vette shows, etc, and its never been mentioned. Im not aware it sits high at all

Angle of photos?
Old 07-08-2007, 09:13 AM
MELVIN
Safety Car

I just looked at my reciept log at the suspension rebuild section.

I replaced the rear spring with a composite. I also replaced the front springs.

The 502 weighs less than the original 427. The 502 has an aluminum intake, aluminum water pump and aluminum heads. Even the FI throttle body weighs less than the original q jet. No mech fuel pump either (electric fuel pump sits near gas tank)

I'll guess (conservatively) that that saves about 80 pds total. All that, with new front springs that haven't been compressed over the years, could account for the "high" stance in front.

The rear composite replaced the old steel spring. Again, Im not sure if the mono composite makes the rear sit higher because again, the original was wore out and flat.

I remember adjusting the new rear spring for heighth. What I dont remember was adjusting the rear to account for the "new" front heigth, since its been just over 3 years, but I possibly couldve adjusted the rear to match new front heighth
Old 07-08-2007, 11:29 PM
Rickman
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Melvin,

Bump for a beautiful 68 Vert. Sorry you must give this car up. Will make a great driving car for someone, especially w the 5 speed Tranny.

You sure you wanna go to New Mexico? Heard the demand for water is getting high.

Best of luck w the sale,

Rickman
Old 07-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Mr. Wonderful
Le Mans Master

Location: Slower than a speeding bullet................ Fort Lauderdale, FL
Received 201 Likes on 125 Posts

I agree that the car seems to be sitting quite high.
Does not look like stock height.
That baby must be a fun ride.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:46 PM
MELVIN
Safety Car

Qoute from last thread: "I agree that the car seems to be sitting quite high. Does not look like stock height".

Take look here at an original photo of the Yellow 1968 from a sales flyer from 1968

http://www.corvette-world.com/corvet...der-p-169.html
I
Gee, that 1968 looks like its sitting high as well................

Anyway, for anyone is interested, give me call or email.............
Old 07-09-2007, 04:38 PM
monza_man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

God I wish I just didnt put a down payment on a house. I would be all over this! Bump for a sweet car. I bet its riding a little high b/c of the new suspension, just needs some longer bolts to fix the rear ($20) and maybe some smaller springs up front or adjustable monospring system! Rebuilt a couple C3's suspensions and had similar issues, very easy to fix and really only cosmetic.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:25 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Default 68 Promo confirms Sting Ray

Thanks for posting that promo. I've had many people tell me that my 68 is not a Stingray that they didn't make a Stingray in 68 for that one year. I told them that I read somewhere that it was considered a Sting Ray ( One Word ) for that one year only but was never badged as such because as the GM worker put it " It was just overlooked in the rush to get the new corvette into production. The promo shows it being called a Sting Ray ( One Word ) Thanks for the trivia BJ
Old 07-10-2007, 05:51 AM
AZ 7TVETTE
Instructor

People have gotten used to looking at C3s with old sagging springs. They are supposed to have a few inches of clearance over the tires. You should have about 8 to 8.5 inches from the ground to the bottom of the frame at the front and rear of each door. The 68's especially had to have a little more clearance because GM changed the fenders over the wheels in 69 on because of complaints of the tires hitting the fiberglass and taking chunks out. Your car is within normal range and looks great.

Love the 502!
Old 07-26-2007, 08:01 AM
MELVIN
Safety Car

Fiber optics now work. Still for sale. Pics here

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/WFFW/
Old 07-26-2007, 04:44 PM
NJVette77
Drifting

Who cares if it sits a little high? at least your *** won't be dragging on the highway

nice car! good luck seller her.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:28 AM
lenbal
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

ttt
Old 08-12-2007, 09:48 AM
AWilson
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 502 performance

melvin,
very nice!!
Can you please try to describe how the 502 performs. I am thinking about power upgrades and I believe the 502 may be the way to go but need some sort of reference point.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:22 AM
MELVIN
Safety Car

The 502/502 is an extremely streetable engine. The cam is just hot enough for performance, but streetability is still there. Combined with oval ports, just the right size exh/int ports, its great and is a serious stump puller.

I have had absolutley NO probs. Going to car shows 8hrs one way, or to work and back. Im running my OEM 68 BB radiator, and never comes close to overheating

I chose the e brock FI system, instead of the Ram Jet set up. While the Ramjet intake system is a fine set up and a proven reliable system, I just dont prefer Throttle bodies. Thats because this set up does not sense individual cylinder needs for fuel air

The ebrock senses each cylinder and constantly adjusts each cylinders needs
Old 08-14-2007, 10:43 AM
Hotrod406
Instructor

Great car! I like that red color

Just a little correction on the efi. The computer has no way of reading individual cylinders and does not adjust fuel or spark on an individual basis.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:15 PM
Harrykaw
Pro

what kind of gas mileage are you getting on the road? Not that it really matters as these things aren't bought for economy anyway, just curious.

Get notified of new replies

To 4 Sale in NC: 1968 Convertable 502/502 with Keisler 5 Speed

Old 08-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Harrykaw
Pro

is there any hole in the deck lid where the third brake light is located?
Old 12-18-2008, 08:55 AM
turtleman
Advanced

Default What happened to this car?

Does anyone know what happened to this car?
www.dole100@juno.com
Old 12-18-2008, 12:19 PM
TMU
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '15, '17

I dunno, but it looks like that might be a '76 455 TA on there now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4 Sale in NC: 1968 Convertable 502/502 with Keisler 5 Speed