Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'82 For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 11:26 AM
redvet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '82 For Sale

It's sold! The first guy that looked at it took it. He first saw it this past Sunday, and after spending about 45 minutes looking it over and driving it, offered me full price and wrote me a $1000 deposit check. We met at his bank this afternoon where I collected a cashier's check for the balance.

I am sad to see it go, but I think I'll cheer up pretty quick the day I order my C6, then even more the day I pick it up.

And I WILL have another Shark someday, for sure.

Thanks to all here who offered comments and support!

Paul

This extremely clean 1982 Corvette has been my pride and joy since December 1, 2001. It had 54,500 miles on it that day, and it just turned over to 60,000 miles a few weeks ago. I am selling it because for my upcoming 50th birthday, my wife is buying me a brand new 2008 Corvette, and unfortunately, I only have one garage spot for one toy, so this one’s (sadly) got to go.

Just before I purchased the car, the following work had been done:
• Both lower ball joints
• Replacement master cylinder
• New front brake hoses
• New water pump
• New radiator
• New upper and lower radiator hoses
• New belts (all)
• New (not rebuilt) GM A/C compressor
• New reproduction console trim plate

Since I have had the car, I have done all of the following myself. I am an ASE Certified Master Auto Technician, and all of this work has been done with extreme care and attention to detail, with the additional objective of keeping the car in as close to stock condition as reasonably possible. GM and AC Delco parts were used in many applications for which they were available:

Interior:
• New reproduction floor mats
• New reproduction T-top center panel
• New old stock gauge bezel
• New reproduction center A/C outlets (both) with new foam seals
• New reproduction A/C / Heater control assembly with new blend door cable
• Used but excellent original radio and ***** (this mono-only radio is extremely difficult to find)
• New reproduction driver’s door window regulator with new replacement track rollers

Exterior:
• New GM front rubber spoilers/air dams
• New reproduction wheel center caps with emblems
• New reproduction chrome lug nuts
• New BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires + new valve stems (all four)

Underhood:
• New AC Delco distributor cap
• New AC Delco distributor rotor
• New AC Delco air filters
• New AC Delco PCV valve
• New AC Delco throttle position sensor
• New AC Delco A.I.R. check valves (two)
• New AC Delco oil filter (the car is currently wearing it’s fifth one installed by me; the oil has been changed every year/1000 miles since I’ve had the car)
• New AC Delco windshield washer pump
• New old stock windshield washer reservoir
• New reproduction A-arm rubber dust seals
• New motor mounts
• New premium valve cover gaskets
• New AC Delco A/C hose assembly
• New AC Delco A/C accumulator/drier
• New A/C orifice tube
• A/C system recharged with R12 refrigerant (the real and best stuff for this car, not retrofitted)

Undercar:
• New AC Delco fuel filter
• New GM transmission oil pan
• New AC Delco transmission pan gasket and filter kit
• Transmission oil change
• New transmission mount
• New front stabilizer bar end links
• Stainless steel sleeved rebuilt brake calipers (all four)
• New brake pads (front and rear)
• New rear brake hoses
• New rear caliper steel brake lines
• Brake fluid change
• New rear suspension strut rods
• Rear differential oil change (including the GM recommended limited slip additive)
• New AC Delco gas-charged shocks (all four)
• New reproduction rear shock mounts
• New rear exhaust stainless steel “Y” pipe
• New mufflers (IMCO, with welded-on tailpipes)
• New rear muffler hangers

As you can see, most of the items that usually need to be addressed on these cars have been taken care of. The car runs well, and is rock-solid reliable.

Other items that go with the car:
• New owner’s manual (reprint)
• New original dealer brochure from 1982
• GM factory service manual (new Helm reprint)
• GM assembly manual (Corvette Central reprint)
• Original T-top storage bags
• Wolf Technalon custom-fit car cover (top-of-the-line cover)
• I saved virtually every part I removed from the car that I was replacing with a new item; all of these old/original parts go with the car

Other points of interest:
• Clean Carfax
• Almost completely intact and totally readable buildsheet (removed from fuel tank)
• The car has a Pennsylvania Antique Registration, so if you care about that, all the work’s been done for you
• Was the February feature car in the 2005 C3VR (C3 Vette Registry) calendar (two copies of the calendar go with the car)
• Photo of car was the main cover shot on the November/December 2003 edition of ACtion™ Magazine (two copies of the magazine go with the car)
• Photo of car appeared on the cover of the January/February 2006 edition of ACtion™ Magazine (two copies of the magazine go with the car)
• Photo of car appeared in the September/October 2006 edition of ACtion™ Magazine (two copies of the magazine go with the car)
• Has been featured three years in a row (2005, 2006 and 2007) on Mid America Motorworks’ website in recognition of their annual “Drive Your Corvette To Work Day”
• I have kept virtually every piece of paper related to the car and the work done to it (including receipts for all parts installed) since I have owned it. All go with the car.
• I also have some other miscellaneous “paper items” related to the car that also go with it

If you’re looking to buy a latter production third-generation Corvette (especially an ’82), you will not be disappointed with this car.

The asking price of $16,500.00 is below what I have in the car (my original purchase price plus what I have spent to do everything I’ve done to it) and consistent with what the current price guides list as market value for these cars in this particular condition.

To see 35 pictures of the car, go to:

http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/redvet82

Please e-mail with questions, if you would like me to e-mail the pictures directly to you, or to arrange an appointment to see the car and give it a test drive. Thank You!

Paul DeGuiseppi
redvet@comcast.net

Last edited by redvet; 08-16-2007 at 09:15 PM. Reason: SOLD!
Old 07-29-2007, 11:15 PM
bucstiger40
Advanced

BUMP for my cars twin
Old 07-30-2007, 10:07 AM
ROBMERRILL
Racer

Very nice presentation. Very complete. And a very nice car to boot.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:16 AM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Now that's what I call a great "C3 For Sale" thread. Very complete and detailed.
Good luck with the sale and enjoy the 2008 Vette!
Old 07-30-2007, 07:58 PM
redvet
Instructor

Default '82 For Sale

Thanks for your complements on my post, slk230red and ROBMERRILL! I always try to be as complete, concise and thorough as possible with everything I do (and of course, that includes all the work I've done on the car).

Sorry, but you left the door open for me for that last comment . But seriously, like I said in the original posting, that is true. Someone is going to get a really nice car. I wish I could keep it, but not possible.

Thanks again,
Paul
Old 07-30-2007, 08:49 PM
C3 RV
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

Very nice. If I was still looking, my wife would have us driving to PA tomorrow. She's partial to red.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:58 AM
redvet
Instructor

Default '82 For Sale

Don't you need another (red) one for her then?
Old 08-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Harrykaw
Pro

Very, very nice. Wish I had room for another one And red too!!!!
Old 08-01-2007, 03:38 PM
C3 RV
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by redvet
Don't you need another (red) one for her then?

I already tried that argument when a Red 73 came up. It didn't work then, I doubt it will work now.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:36 PM
redvet
Instructor

Default '82 For Sale

Originally Posted by Harrykaw
Very, very nice. Wish I had room for another one And red too!!!!
Believe me, I know what you're saying. Because if I had room for two, this one would not be for sale!
Old 08-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Plum Different 73
Racer

Default A "Keeper"

This would be a great one to put away for a few years!
Old 08-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Crimson12
Instructor

I am interested in this vehicle. Where are you located in PA?
Anything that doesn't work or is an issue? Any rust on the frame or birdcage?

thanks......
Old 08-03-2007, 08:17 AM
redvet
Instructor

Default '82 For Sale

Originally Posted by Crimson12
I am interested in this vehicle. Where are you located in PA?
Anything that doesn't work or is an issue? Any rust on the frame or birdcage?

thanks......
Hi, Crimson 12, thatnk you.

I am located in the western suburbs of Philadelphia. Google maps says eight hours from Parkton, NC to where I live, and pretty much a straight shot up I-95.

As far as anything that doesn't work; three minor things:

The delay (intermittent) feature on the wipers. The speeds work fine, just no intermittent operation (wiper delay modules for these cars are basically impossible to get, and when one does surface on e-bay or somewhere else, they are obscenely expensive, with no guarantee that they will even work). Since the car has never been in rain since I've owned it, it's never been an issue, anyway.

The antitheft/alarm system does not work at all. I have just never gotten around to troubleshooting it yet. But once again, since the car has never been out of my sight when not in my garage, it's also never been an issue.

Just recently, something went wrong with the clock adjustment stem, so it doesn't work to adjust the clock. It turns, but doesn't move the clock hands.

Lastly, the fuel gauge sometimes sticks, with no rhyme or reason. I also have not gotten around to troubleshooting this yet either, but suspect it might be a bad ground somewhere.

Everything else that DOES work works very well!

As far as rust in the birdcage; not that I can tell. When I bought the car, I did the old "put a white rag on the floor and slam the door trick" to see if rust particles fell down out of the windshield frame: none. And when replacing the T-top center panel, I was able to get a good look at at least the areas that were uncovered by that. Nothing; as a matter of fact, extremely clean!

As far as rust on the frame: none. There are a few spots here and there, like where the paint is "gone," that have like the "powdery surface rust" like you see on a brake rotor a few hours after you've washed a car, but that's it. The rear trailing arms show this worse than any other area, but still nothing bad. The bottom line: no rot or cancer or anything even remotely like it, anywhere.

I hope I have answered your questions. If you have any more, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks again,
Paul
Old 08-03-2007, 11:30 AM
ragu
Instructor

Beautiful car Paul. I may have missed it in the description about the paint condition. Is it original, any scratches, dings or stress cracks? Thx.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:58 PM
redvet
Instructor

Default '82 For Sale

Originally Posted by ragu
Beautiful car Paul. I may have missed it in the description about the paint condition. Is it original, any scratches, dings or stress cracks? Thx.
Thanks, ragu!

Not all of the paint is original. Both bumper caps and some of the rear clip were repainted by the dealer I bought it from (County Corvette here in West Chester, PA; one of Corvette Forum's sponsors; as I'm typing this, their banner is on the left of my screen). The color match and gloss levels of the repainted portions are essentially perfect in matching the rest of the car. The original paint is also amazingly good for being 25 + years old.

Scratches; none.

Some (probably less than ten total) small chips, mostly (of course) located on the nose (not the bumper cap, the "headlight area"). I have hesitated to touch them up, thinking that may look worse than just leaving them alone.

No stress cracks. There is one small "spider" on one of the front fenders. Unless it's pointed out, you have to be looking at the car very "fine tooth comb like" to see it.

I hope that answers your questions. If you have any more, please let me know.

Paul
Old 08-03-2007, 10:02 PM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 431 Likes on 258 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

is the original motor in the car ?
curious what the vin is ?
early or late run ?
i'll be in valley forge / berwyn at the end of the month if still avail maybe i'll stop in ?
Thanks
ZIXXX PACKER
Old 08-04-2007, 05:28 PM
redvet
Instructor

Default '82 For sale

Originally Posted by 427SIXPACK
is the original motor in the car ?
curious what the vin is ?
early or late run ?
i'll be in valley forge / berwyn at the end of the month if still avail maybe i'll stop in ?
Thanks
ZIXXX PACKER
Hi, ZIXXX PACKER, yes; I purchased the car from County Corvette, a very reputable Corvette dealer here in West Chester, PA (and also a Corvette Forum sponsor; as I type this, their banner is on the left of my screen). They told me the engine is original to the car, and I have no reason to doubt it. The block casting number is the correct one for '82s. The engine pad is impossibe to see on these particular cars without doing disassembly that I did not want to do, so I have not verifed the VIN on the block. But every indication is that it is the original engine to the car.

The VIN is 1G1AY8788C5114xxx. As far as I have determined, it was built the second week of May, 1982. I guess that would be late run.

If I still have it at the end of the month, you'll know by following the further goings on in this posting. Please come on down! Shoot me an e-mail to redvet@comcast.net and I'll get you my address and other details.

Thanks,
Paul

Get notified of new replies

To '82 For Sale

Old 08-09-2007, 08:59 AM
ROBMERRILL
Racer

Still for sale? I can't believe noone bought this yet. Come on people wake up!
Old 08-09-2007, 01:45 PM
redvet
Instructor

Default '82 For Sale

Tell me about it, ROBMERRIL!

It's generated some interest (as you can see by the posts) but no one serious yet, no one's looked at it yet, and of course, no offers (and I also have it posted on "some other" Corvette dedicated web sites). I have an appointment with a guy who's going to look at it on Sunday morning. We'll see what happens. Plus, Carlisle is at the end of the month; if nothing happens by then, I'm probably going to try to put it in the car coral there, or at least on one of the townfolk's lawns with the F/S sign in it. Problem there is, everyone wants to buy for coal and sell for gold.

Keeping in mind that it may just be that the right person hasn't yet seen the listing, the "thing" that gets me about it; after I seriously started looking for a C3, it took me a year and a half to find this car. I saw many, many during my search, but NONE that were in the condition I wanted, and too boot, they were not priced realistically, based on their condition. Here is this car, that IS realistically priced, and very, very nice. As I said in my original post, if this is the type of car someone is looking for, no disappointments. They may find one nicer/lower mileage/more original, but not for what I'm asking, not even close. Plus, all the extra goodies mine comes with, too!

My wife said "what do these people want/what do they expect?" I told her that I can't figure it out, either.

Sorry if I came off as a whiner, but I just felt like venting a little. I know it's eventually going to sell, and I hope (know) its new owner will enjoy it as much as I have.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:33 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,324 Likes on 2,773 Posts

In following this thread, I would guess the sale is slower than you would like because the car is nice, finished and priced that way. I'm not saying it's out of line; I'm saying it reflects a finished car. The majority of Corvette owners I come across looking for C3s are looking for a deal, looking to fix things and having that reflect on the price, but of course, most don't realize the extent of what these things actually cost.

In your case, if someone is looking for a close to turn-key car and is willing to pay for it, there it is. I'm just guessing that buyer is in the minority as compared for the C3 "bargain shoppers" ya know? '73-'82 Corvette buyers are often overrepresented by the entry level guys.

I would imagine for someone who wants a beautiful red '82 that has Top Flight potential, there's the car. So, don't be discouraged, I think this type of car doesn't move as quickly as the middle or cheap price range cars, simply because of the types of buyers that are out there.

Quick Reply: '82 For Sale