Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom SRIII rolling chassis f/s

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 02:38 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Custom SRIII rolling chassis f/s

I have decided to sell my dream project This is an SRIII tubular frame with a fully upgraded chromed/polished C4 suspension. The frame originally cost me $7,800 with upgrades; (http://www.sriiimotorsports.com/196382corvette.html) and after receiving it I had the frame professionally sandblasted, coated with two coats of automobile PPG DP-90 primer and then finish coated with a beautiful, but "manly" Lexus Iron Gray Mica paint. (I elected to go with single stage since touch-ups from rock chips will be much easier to repair). I then had to purchase a C4 front suspension and went with an ‘85 front end since the control arms are 1” shorter than newer C4 models allowing for a deeper dish wheel and wider tires. The front suspension was carefully dissambled and sent to Exotic Muscle for a complete rebuild following professional polishing of the aluminum parts. New ball-joints, bearings and poly-bushings were installed. I then added the lower coil-over mounting plates, but had them chromed prior to installation. QA-1 coil-overs were then purchased and installed. A new steering rack was installed and new C5 brake calipers with cross drilled rotors were added. The rear suspension required the purchase of a complete Dana-44 rear-end. I then had the rear pumpkin rebuilt by Exotic Muscle in Arizona into one of their famous cold-stabilized Gladiator Dana-44s; (http://www.exoticmuscle.com/webpage....SEL=DRIVETRAIN). This is supposed to be able to handle 1,000 HP! New bearings, bushings, new seals and new 4.11 gears were installed. The front SRIII C-brace was professionally chromed and installed with poly-bushings. The rear “bat-wing” was powder coated gray and installed with poly-bushings. (even the rear differential cover bolts/washers were chromed!) I then carefully modified the rear hubs to clear the rear coil-overs. This required the careful cutting and sanding of the aluminum housing until the proper clearance was met. The hubs were then sent to Exotic Muscle for complete disassembly, professional polishing, and new bearings installed. I then had specially designed adjustable trailing arms, camber bars, and toe-in rods made-up by Van Steel. These were taken apart and chromed prior to installation. New custom sized steel half shafts were fabricated, professionally balanced, chromed and had new heavy duty u-joints installed prior to placement into the rear suspension. Heavy duty Van Steel u-joint straps were used and QA-1 rear coil-overs were installed. I have the rear C4 brakes and new cross drilled discs ready to install. American made Grade-8 bolts were used throughout the suspension components which required NUMEROUS trips to the local hardware store to get the right bolts!!!!

The frame is near a rolling chassis however, the rolling cart will support over 3,000# and provides an even weight distribution across the frame rails...It's easier to roll and won't flat-spot tires when mounted as well. This SRIII frame was designed for strength as the two center tubes require that Outlaw side exhaust be used. Also, the rear storage components need to be shortened to clear the added rear supports. With the Gladiator Dana-44, all the new components, polishing & chroming, I easily have $18,000 into this beautiful chassis and suspension. Due to other interests I have decided to sell and move onto other projects. The frame, rolling cart, and ‘69 Convertible body are all available for $15,000 FIRM! This is a project for the adventurous, but when completed and if done right would be a six-figure custom Corvette like no other!!!

(The LS2 motor which puts out 525 HP and a new Tremec 5-speed with Lakewood bell housing are available separately if desired).

Looking to sell ASAP! Buyer is responsible for any/all shipping. Pick-up would be preferential and may require two separate trailers to retrieve both the chassis and '69 body both which are on welded steel rolling carts! (serious inquiries only please...)

Last edited by BlackRocket; 08-19-2008 at 02:53 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:19 PM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I've been looking hard at an sriii converted c3; you have done a number of things the same way I would, so I am interested;

however, I am not in a hurry. I would say dont sell without talking to me as I have the cash to move now, but no good shop yet to store or work on it.

also, I am not seeing much discount off what I can get from SRiii: is the body included? if so, I need some good pics of it and its condition.

thx. please email me at chris.ramey@yrcw.com when its time to go, otherwise I'll keep checking on this.

thx
Old 08-20-2008, 02:03 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,324 Likes on 2,773 Posts

Originally Posted by ramey

is the body included?

Originally Posted by BlackRocket

The frame, rolling cart, and ‘69 Convertible body are all available for $15,000 FIRM!

Pick-up would be preferential and may require two separate trailers to retrieve both the chassis and '69 body
Looks pretty plain to me.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:10 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Here's the cost run down on what has been put into the frame; (some items are from memory, but price is very close);

Frame parts:

SRIII frame with (2) modifications to make stronger................$7,800
Professional sandblasting, two-coats PPG primer & SS paint......$1,200
QA1 shocks.................................. ......................................$6 00

Rear-end parts:

Used rear Dana-44...................................... ......................$1,500
Exotic Muscle Gladiator Cold Stabilized D-44 w/4.11 gears........$2,500
Customized width and powdercoating of Bat Wing......................$500
Modified rear hubs, professionally polished & new bearings...........$680
Custom width Van Steel half-shafts.................................. .......$300
Professional balancing and chroming of half-shafts......................$300
(4) Heavy Duty Spicer U-Joints.................................. .............$130
(4) Van Steel Heavy Duty U-Joint Strap Kit...............................$230
(4) Van Steel Trailing Arms + chroming................................ .....$450
(2) Van Steel Strut Rods + chroming................................ ........$320
(2) Van Steel Camber bars + chroming................................ ......$320

Front End Parts:

Used '85 front suspension.............................. .........................$500
Control arms sent to Exotic Muscle; (poly, ball-joints, polishing)..$1,400
New front bearings................................ ................................$300
Lower shock mounts + chroming................................ ..............$300
C5 Brake calipers, conversion kit, brake discs.............................$600
New steering rack.................................... .............................$300
New tie rod ends.................................... ................................$60

This already adds up to $20,000 and doesn't cover minor items such as Poly-bushings, $200 in Grade-8 bolts or appx. $1,000 spent on the 6-caster rolling cart. (This stuff adds up quick if you do it right!) Although it may look plain to some all that needs to be done is to mount the rear brakes and then it is a complete rolling C3 chassis.

The body is not in the best of condition, but the entire bird cage is basically rust free. The body includes most interior parts minus seats and perfect front/rear bumpers. Lastly, if someone wants to purchase the built LS2 motor and New Tremec 5-speed transmission they would be added in for 1/2 of what they cost!!! I also have two original hardtops of which I will include one of choice offered the right price!!!!

Last edited by BlackRocket; 08-21-2008 at 03:16 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:24 PM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Price lowered to $14,000 for quick sale....a.full 1/3 off from what I have in parts alone!
Old 08-28-2008, 03:51 PM
greg75vette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you considering selling the LS2 separate? If so, how much. Feel free to pm me.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:48 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

I eventually will be selling the LS2, but I may have a buyer for the frame, with engine and Tremec transmission.

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2008, 06:53 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish you lived closer. I'd be building FrankenSport II. It sounds like a sweet deal.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:53 AM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Not in the market for something like this but just wanted to say that is STUNNING!! A great deal too. Good luck with the sale.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Phil67BB
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will it work on a mid-year?

Will the frame work under a 67 body?
Old 08-31-2008, 01:16 PM
BlackRocket
Drifting

TTT
Old 08-31-2008, 03:17 PM
68roadster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

Sorry to see you are selling, and wish we had hooked up in January of this year. These are huge projects. Good luck with the sale.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Greg G
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

How is the body and interior?
Old 09-03-2008, 12:59 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

The body is a skeleton...completely stripped and ready for the bead blaster...it has little to no major rust issues. The interior is completly removed and requires most parts to be replaced since this would be a first class resto-mod Corvette. The parts usable are the top dash pad, the instrument panels, the gauge pods, and some other minor pieces. To complete the project the way I intended the interior would require new Autometer gauges; (I have the originals), new C5 seats, new carpet with Dynamat, and new door panels. Estimate to complete RIGHT would require another $20-25,000.

I can e-mail most pictures of the body if you are serious.

Thanks!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Greg G
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks
Should be nice when finished. Too far to look and bring back to PA. I am looking to do somethins like this but with a totally stock looking body and interior.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:52 PM
opnwide
Advanced

That is sweet! If I wasn't halfway into my '76 Trans Am SE I would certainly be tapping some of my brownie points I have with my wife to buy this thing.

Sorry you have to sell.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:45 PM
rcastor426
Racer

that is the most beautiful thing i have ever seen....you don't even want to know about the horrible thoughts that just went through my head

Get notified of new replies

To Custom SRIII rolling chassis f/s

Old 09-04-2008, 11:19 PM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Thanks for all the nice complements. I am still wanting to keep this project since I already have over 400 hours into it, with the frame painting, chroming, polishing, and collecting all the specialized parts and Grade-8 bolts....but I have little to no space left and too many other projects that need attention....

This is a good deal for someone that wants something that was done "right"!!!!
Old 09-05-2008, 07:15 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Very good price,Good luck with the sale...
Old 09-06-2008, 12:03 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Thanks again for the push!!!

Realizing that times are tough right now, I will let the entire frame with entire suspension and body (less the Gladiator Dana-44 pumpkin) for $11,500.

*(You see, the Gladiator Dana-44 costs $2,495 and I can use it under my C-4 ZR-1. This part was a "little over the top" and many builders may not want to use a full on cold-stabilized & shot-peened rear diff for this project).

See the below Exotic Muscle site for details; (you have to scroll down to the Gladiator-44)

http://www.exoticmuscle.com/webpage....SEL=DRIVETRAIN

I feel that $11,500 for this entire project is a GREAT BUY considering the body cost me nearly that much!!!!

Quick Reply: Custom SRIII rolling chassis f/s