Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying '74 Stingray

Old 12-03-2008, 10:47 AM
RalliartG3rl
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying '74 Stingray

I know someone who is getting rid of their '74 Stingray Ttop due to injuries to his elobws he can no longer drive it. He is asking $7500 for it. He bought it from someone else for $6300 and claims to have done $2000 in repairs.
The car has rust damage on the engine as well as the body although it has a fairly new paint job, looks like it was painted without proper care to the body. other thn that the body is fine.
the interior needs major restoring and doent have the origonal radio.
it has 90,000 miles on it.
i dont have pictures yet butwill post some soon, anyways i would just like to know if $7500 is a good price for this car.
i dont know much about corvettes but cars are a big hobby of mine and im looking for a light progect car. Corvettes are very fascinating (and sexy). Im willing to learn as i go pretty much.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:33 AM
DIP51
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Winner

Sounds kinda high if there are rust issues. That can get very pricey!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 12:13 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=RalliartG3rl;1568060933]
The car has rust damage on the engine as well as the body although it has a fairly new paint job, looks like it was painted without proper care to the body. other thn that the body is fine.
the interior needs major restoring and doent have the origonal radio.
it has 90,000 miles on it.[QUOTE]

The body can't rust, it's fiberglass. If you mean rust on the frame or the bird cage (the steel structure that surrounds the cockpit) be very careful. Surface rust is ok but for anything more serious the repairs can cost big $$$. What does the interior need: seat covers, carpets, panels, gauges? Go on-line and check the prices for the replacement parts from a few of the reputable after market suppliers (MAD, Corvette Central, ZIP, Ecklers) to get an idea of what you're in for.

1974 was the last of the true dual exhaust Corvettes so it may have some value, but it will never be a C1 or C2. What engine/trans does it have?
Old 12-03-2008, 02:59 PM
m8rixguy
Instructor

With today's market I say the price is high. Example: there is a 74 listed on ebay (close to my location) that has fresh paint but needs some finishing for $5,500.

Also, as the others have said, if there are rust issues the price of fixing can go up very fast.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:16 PM
RFP
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default I don't think so...

I'm sure that others may disagree with me on this (and perhaps rightly so), but I think you are contemplating a nightmare!

If your goal is to end up with a 'very nice car,' maybe not quite 'show car' quality, but a respectible looking, and driving, and reliable 'Vette, this is probably not the way to go.

I have no idea how many times I have seen 'basket case' cars for sale by owners who started out with stars in their eyes and hope in their heart... and not much else. What they found after getting into the project is that automobile restoration - even a modest restoration - is a costly enterprise, indeed. "My loss, your gain" is the general theme of these for sale ads, and sooner or later the problem-project is passed on (sold) to the next owner. Most often, these project are never finished and those involved are tired, disgusted, and disillusioned.

I recall an excellent restorer's advice: "when restoring any given make/model, always start out with the best car you can find."

I suspect that in 99% of the cases, he is right... starting out with a good car will result in a 'very nice car' at the lowest cost.

Anyway, as they say, YMMV!!

Good luck, and welcome to The Forum!

Rob

Last edited by RFP; 12-03-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by RFP
I'm sure that others may disagree with me on this (and perhaps rightly so), but I think you are contemplating a nightmare!

If your goal is to end up with a 'very nice car,' maybe not quite 'show car' quality, but a respectible looking, and driving, and reliable 'Vette, this is probably not the way to go.

I have no idea how many times I have seen 'basket case' cars for sale by owners who started out with stars in their eyes and hope in their heart... and not much else. What they found after getting into the project is that automobile restoration - even a modest restoration - is a costly enterprise, indeed. "My loss, your gain" is the general theme of these for sale ads, and sooner or later the problem-project is passed on (sold) to the next owner. Most often, these project are never finished and those involved are tired, disgusted, and disillusioned.

I recall an excellent restorer's advice: "when restoring any given make/model, always start out with the best car you can find."

I suspect that in 99% of the cases, he is right... starting out with a good car will result in a 'very nice car' at the lowest cost.

Anyway, as they say, YNNV!!

Good luck, and welcome to The Forum!

Rob
This is so true. I've been around here for a long time and seen that resoration failure scenario repeated ad naseum. The 1974 is a pretty car although not much "desired." You can get a very clean and solid example for a reasonable price. Then just drive and enjoy rather than pulling out the VISA card and getting frustrated.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by paul67
This is so true. I've been around here for a long time and seen that resoration failure scenario repeated ad naseum. The 1974 is a pretty car although not much "desired." You can get a very clean and solid example for a reasonable price. Then just drive and enjoy rather than pulling out the VISA card and getting frustrated.

I have NEVER understood why either! It is a GORGEOUS year and the LAST year of the BIG BlOCK
Old 12-04-2008, 03:53 PM
BADAZ427
3rd Gear

Default FS 1974 Corvette Coupe

Posted a '74 Stingray for sale 12/1. See "FS 1974 Corvette Coupe" for details. Photos can be seen in "My Corvette Photos" (Haven't figured out how to upload successfully to thread). Any interest? Car is located in Scottsdale, AZ. Where are you located?
Thx.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:47 PM
sonnystingray
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default 74

Originally Posted by paul67

I agree with the failed restorations. Its better to be safe than sorry. You may want to have someone else take a look with you to get a second opinion.

As far as "not being desired" I disagree...........Im kinda partial to the 74's
Old 12-05-2008, 12:29 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,320 Likes on 2,769 Posts

Asking price sounds too high for what you have described. However:

-I don't know what "rust damage" to an engine is. Could you elaborate?
-Does the motor VIN match the body VIN?
-How bad is the body?
-Do you have any idea where to look for real rust issues on this car? I'm guessing not.

I would not describe this car as a "light project." It sounds like a body/paint job, new interior, engine rebuild at a minimum, plus whatever. We call these "full restorations." Are you really up for this? It will be very pricey and you will be far upside down regarding real value in a hurry.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:48 PM
nutsy
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Alwyn678
I have NEVER understood why either! It is a GORGEOUS year and the LAST year of the BIG BlOCK
i also agree, i love the 74. and for the price of them there a steal.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:40 PM
coolhandluke74'
5th Gear

Default noob

my grandfather just gave me a 74' stingray and i wanted to know if anyone could help me estimate how much money im going to have to dump into it to get it right?

the front right pitman arm is disconnected at the ball joint, the back window is busted, there is a tear in the front bumper, the point towards the front of the hood is broken exposing the reinforcement sheet metal and the carburator needs to be rebuilt. i would also like to replace the all of the wiring harnesses. the engine and transmission were both replaced and have about 8000 miles on them, but it has not been tagged since 1980! so it has not run much as you can imagine. BUT, the car DOES start and WILL run it just has some trouble getting started due to the carb.

any suggestions/estimates are appriciated
Old 06-15-2010, 09:33 PM
a560156
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Asking price sounds too high for what you have described. However:

-I don't know what "rust damage" to an engine is. Could you elaborate?
-Does the motor VIN match the body VIN?
-How bad is the body?
-Do you have any idea where to look for real rust issues on this car? I'm guessing not.

I would not describe this car as a "light project." It sounds like a body/paint job, new interior, engine rebuild at a minimum, plus whatever. We call these "full restorations." Are you really up for this? It will be very pricey and you will be far upside down regarding real value in a hurry.

A price of "free" would be too high. Been there.

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of buying '74 Stingray

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of buying '74 Stingray