Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

71 Rough in a diamond.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 07:33 PM
michalbugno2006
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 71 Rough in a diamond.

Asking Price: 15k Firm
Mileage: 102k

Recently I purchased a 71 convertible that I intended on flipping. Once I brought the car home I discovered a few serious problems, being only 16 I do not have the money to restore this car but would like to sell it to someone who fully understands the problems and is still willing to bring her back to her former glory.

Full Disclosure:

The exterior: The paint is a 7/8 out of 10. The wheels look brand new (very nice repros). There is a luggage rack that is in very nice condition. All chrome appears to be new. The convertible top is in great shape, and the top frame is rust free. The top operates correctly. The headlights operate swiftly and properly. The taillight lenses appear new and are not cracked. The mirrors are new but are slightly loose, not noticeable while driving but they do wiggle. The door gaps are a little off but not bad. The doors are a bit tough to close and would need to be aligned.

The Interior: The interior (saddle) is in great shape. The carpet is new and was installed professionally with great results. The parking brake console surround is cracked along with the parking brake lever. All gauges work (including the clock). All lamps work but the courtesy lights do not light up. The radio appears original but new speakers have been added along with kick panel speakers. The seat covers are new. The upper dash pad is cracked.

The drive train: The brakes have been overhauled in 06 but could use a bleeding. The 4 speed Muncie has been rebuilt and shifts flawlessly. The NOM 350 has a leak from the distributer and blows white smoke at start up indicating bad valve gaskets. There are no rear end leaks or noise. The exhaust is new while utilizing the original manifolds.

The bad part: The frame has a few relatively minor cracks. It is dented but the metal is solid. The drivers side birdcage has damage while the passanger side appears unharmed.. The windshield side post on the side tword the edge of the car has some metal that has been eaten through. The damage extends slightly into the vin tag. Both of the #2 body mounts look fine. Here is a thread relating to the damage: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...very-sick.html

The Options: Has PS, T/T column. No A/C or PB.

Door is open

Door Panel, A bit blurry sorry.

Top Mechanism

Top Down

Dash Pad Crack

Passenger Side

Drivers side

http://s433.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=DSC00891.jpg
Crack

Crack #2

Frame

More Frame

Last edited by michalbugno2006; 03-16-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Added pictures.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:51 PM
michalbugno2006
Racer

Originally Posted by LT1 Hunter
Get some better glasses and then get out the salt and pepper, going to have it a long time. End to your short job as a "flipper."
Thanks for posting, I appreciate your constructive criticism.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:56 PM
Mark Battersby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good on you for advertising it on the forum with FULL DISCLOSURE and the link to the other thread. I have been following the "Blinded by the Light" thread and have been VERY impressed how you have handled yourself in the tough position you are in.

All the best with the sale. This may just be the perfect project for someone that has the know how, but doesnt have to repaint or replace the interior.

All the best...

Aussie Mark
Old 03-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Wilross3
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I've also been following your thread Michal... good luck with the sale! This will make a good project for someone with some know-how who wants a great chrome bumper vert!

Cheers, and good luck!

Bill

Last edited by Wilross3; 03-15-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:56 PM
michalbugno2006
Racer

Originally Posted by Mark Battersby
Good on you for advertising it on the forum with FULL DISCLOSURE and the link to the other thread. I have been following the "Blinded by the Light" thread and have been VERY impressed how you have handled yourself in the tough position you are in.

All the best with the sale. This may just be the perfect project for someone that has the know how, but doesnt have to repaint or replace the interior.

All the best...

Aussie Mark
Thanks you sir! It means a lot to know someone appreciates honesty. I'm hoping that someone that has a shop (welder, etc.) will be looking for a project like this. Congratulations on your purchase, I followed quite a few of your threads lately. Nice car!
Old 03-15-2010, 10:58 PM
michalbugno2006
Racer

Originally Posted by Wilross3
I've also been following your thread Michal... good luck with the sale! This will make a good project for someone with some know-how who wants a great chrome bumper vert!

Cheers, and good luck!

Bill
Thanks! I agree with your earlier point, but hey if there's one thing I've learned from this experience it's that not everyone is kind.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:11 AM
WhiteKnight
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Uncalled for

Get some better glasses and then get out the salt and pepper, going to have it a long time. End to your short job as a "flipper."
You (LT1 Hunter) are a class A jerk. If you don't have something positive to add to a thread then keep it to yourself.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:59 PM
michalbugno2006
Racer

Pictures Added

Last edited by michalbugno2006; 03-16-2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Added pictures to the top instead of here.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:43 PM
WayneB_LT1
Instructor

Kudos for airing the dirty laundry along with the good. Now you can get a serious buyer who knows what they is dealing with. If you still have it in July you should take it on down to Concord where the NCRS is having their National Convention. Great opportunity to have a whole lot of Vette lovers, that know what they are doing, in one place at the same time.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:49 PM
shank0668
Burning Brakes

I like how you are not trying to hide anything. Good luck with the sale.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:35 PM
michalbugno2006
Racer

Originally Posted by WayneB_LT1
Kudos for airing the dirty laundry along with the good. Now you can get a serious buyer who knows what they is dealing with. If you still have it in July you should take it on down to Concord where the NCRS is having their National Convention. Great opportunity to have a whole lot of Vette lovers, that know what they are doing, in one place at the same time.
That's what i'm hoping for; someone who has the equipment to fix it themselves for less $ than me taking it to a shop.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:24 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Your car looks good in photos. It would probably go for a decent price on eBay but you're just too honest about the overall condition.

Good luck and I hope things turn out well for you.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:38 AM
michalbugno2006
Racer

Originally Posted by 71 Green 454
Your car looks good in photos. It would probably go for a decent price on eBay but you're just too honest about the overall condition.

Good luck and I hope things turn out well for you.
Don't hear that often
I just don't want to screw anyone over like the previous buyer did to me. I couldn't sleep for quite a few nights and honestly felt like s**t. Thanks, I'll need it
Old 03-17-2010, 10:18 AM
WayneB_LT1
Instructor

Well don't feel too bad, remember the old saying "we all pay for our education one way or another". Just consider it a down payment

I bought a 71 with the intent of restoring to really learn the body style before getting a more rare one to do all the way. While taking it apart I discoverred all kinds of goodies like you did but I learned all the tricks people use to hide problems and mislead about what their car really is. So when I went out looking for an LT-1, I knew exactly what to look for and where. There are still a few out there that need a good restoration but you need to know what you're looking for first. In your case, you now know what and where to look to find a legitimately solid car, and you did it at a young age. So, considering what you paid against what you sell it for it really is a bargain in Corvette knowledge. A lot of guys and gals have that education spread over decades and a heck of a lot more money. You may want to hold onto it a little longer, get an AIM and an NCRS judging manual (excpecially the judging manual)and use that car to really know what makes a C3 so next time you can recognize what needs work, how much it's going to cost or how much effort it will take and make an offer that is realistic for you. Join the NCRS and use that forum too. Going through your car with a NCRS judging manual is about as picky a process as could exist in anyone's imagination but a wealth of info and you will definitely know what you're talking about and recognize smoke being blown from a mile away.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:57 PM
michalbugno2006
Racer

Originally Posted by WayneB_LT1
Well don't feel too bad, remember the old saying "we all pay for our education one way or another". Just consider it a down payment

I bought a 71 with the intent of restoring to really learn the body style before getting a more rare one to do all the way. While taking it apart I discoverred all kinds of goodies like you did but I learned all the tricks people use to hide problems and mislead about what their car really is. So when I went out looking for an LT-1, I knew exactly what to look for and where. There are still a few out there that need a good restoration but you need to know what you're looking for first. In your case, you now know what and where to look to find a legitimately solid car, and you did it at a young age. So, considering what you paid against what you sell it for it really is a bargain in Corvette knowledge. A lot of guys and gals have that education spread over decades and a heck of a lot more money. You may want to hold onto it a little longer, get an AIM and an NCRS judging manual (excpecially the judging manual)and use that car to really know what makes a C3 so next time you can recognize what needs work, how much it's going to cost or how much effort it will take and make an offer that is realistic for you. Join the NCRS and use that forum too. Going through your car with a NCRS judging manual is about as picky a process as could exist in anyone's imagination but a wealth of info and you will definitely know what you're talking about and recognize smoke being blown from a mile away.
It's always refreshing to see the positive side of things. Thanks!

Forgot to add if anyone is interested I can take more pictues, just specify what you would like a picture of.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:21 PM
79vetter
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
You (LT1 Hunter) are a class A jerk. If you don't have something positive to add to a thread then keep it to yourself.
I agree - this forum should charge $19.95 per year to keep out guys like that.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:47 AM
michalbugno2006
Racer

While I agree that he was out of line can we change the focus of this thread back to selling the car.

Get notified of new replies

To 71 Rough in a diamond.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:55 AM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 208 Posts

what's up with that??? Now "flipping" a car is a bad thing? Maybe that word has come to mean something shady, but isn't it really just Capitolism? Buying and selling for a profit is wrong??? Is this America? Maybe he had a certain budget, and could not afford what he really wanted, so he found what he thought was a good deal to sell to make up the difference? No problems here.

The boy is being very honest, and truthfully, overall, it's not a bad car.

Hey friend, you shouldn't be worried, I think you will get the 15k you want. Your biggest hurdle may be the NOM.......all these cars have rust to some degree in the cage. Keep the honest description and go to Ebay.

Last edited by avalonjohn; 03-18-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:39 AM
michalbugno2006
Racer

She's on eBay
Old 03-18-2010, 11:32 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by avalonjohn
what's up with that??? Now "flipping" a car is a bad thing? Maybe that word has come to mean something shady, but isn't it really just Capitolism? Buying and selling for a profit is wrong??? Is this America? Maybe he had a certain budget, and could not afford what he really wanted, so he found what he thought was a good deal to sell to make up the difference? No problems here.

The boy is being very honest, and truthfully, overall, it's not a bad car.

Hey friend, you shouldn't be worried, I think you will get the 15k you want. Your biggest hurdle may be the NOM.......all these cars have rust to some degree in the cage. Keep the honest description and go to Ebay.
Entire post is right on. I've been enjoying Corvettes for decades, but I sure don't feel like I have to explain to anyone why, when I see an opportunity to flip and make a couple dollars.

Also agree that the NOM is the price deduction here, not the birdcage stuff. The vast majority have some need for repair there.

Quick Reply: 71 Rough in a diamond.