Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Base Coupe Package Deal

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:04 PM
Not2New72
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FS: 72 Base Coupe Package Deal

I've come to terms that this project isn't going to come together for me. I've been sitting on it for 6 years...just put in a storage unit in Leesburg, VA and I don't want to keep paying for it.

Many possibilities here...

For sale:

1972 Corvette, Pewter Silver, black deluxe interior, PS, PB, PW, automatic, base motor, original drivetrain, partially dismantled but all of the originally parts are included, complete new interior from Corvette Central including new mounted seat covers but they have some checking, nice body, nice lines. New gas tank, new front and rear control arms from Van Steel, Dewitt alluminum radiator with dual SPALS. Frame is rusty and has some patches, but I drove it until 06 when I began to install the radiator and the fans. Ran good but smoked some on start up. About 117k on it and here are the known issues...bumpers have been off for over a year so the nose has dropped some, PS ball joint has an issue and needs to be taken apart, the key is stuck in the ignition, the interior is removed, the radiator and SPAL install is not complete. Comes with clear title in my name.

1972 Rolling chassis with complete original numbers matching drivetrain and frame. Nicely restored and I have all the paperwork/reciepts for the motor build. Great base for restoring the above car. Original body was destroyed by PO because it had been left under trees for a long time. Wheels and tires were restored but used on another car for 550 miles. I’ve primed the motor twice in the 6 years I’ve owned it and it still turns easily, but should be gone through. Chassis comes with VIN/trim tags and clear title in my name.

Follow the link to the Flickr album to see many more pics

Asking $15,500 for both and I'm not ready to consider splitting them up yet. Serious offers will be considered.

Can be seen by appointment at the storage facility space is limited. Shipping would be tough for this package deal...prefer pickup.

20140607_145213 by Roy2563, on Flickr

20140607_144830 by Roy2563, on Flickr

Last edited by Not2New72; 11-19-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:52 PM
Not2New72
Instructor

TTT...price too high? 265 views and not a single reply offer...I'm wondering if I'm way off or just too anxious!

Roy

Last edited by Not2New72; 11-21-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:46 PM
GPGG70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This looks like a nice restore for someone. If I had more room and lived closer to your location, I might have given it some thought.
I cant say if your to high on the price or not but since I read your thread I didn't want to be 266th viewer. Give it some time is what I can offer.
Good luck with your sale.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:25 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Roy,
I see the chassis has a/c, does the body?
When I read the ad I thought… this is going to take someone who wants to make 1 car out of 2, AND, do the considerable work THAT requires, AND, then go into the parts selling business to clear out the second bay in his garage and recoup some of his money.
Perhaps not too many folks with $15,000 to spend want to get involved with that journey.
Moving the VIN and Trim Tag isn't for everyone either.
Regards,
Alan
Old 11-22-2014, 08:56 AM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

I concur with Alan: a LOT of work involved, and you end up with a base-motor, automatic, coupe. If it were an LT-1 convertible, you'd be tired of all the contacts.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:42 AM
Not2New72
Instructor

Thanks guys! It appears this needs a re-think.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:16 PM
Southernbound
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Not2New72
Thanks guys! It appears this needs a re-think.
I know a guy and Culpeper that might either provide an affordable out, or might be networked well enough in the area to help you out. PM me if you want his contact info. He knows these cars well. And just so you know, this car might be worth that amount if it were complete and running. No intentions of being rude....just being realistic. I know because I have a 72, base model and manual tranny.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:10 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

How is the paint on this car?
Is it still available?

Jebby
Old 02-17-2015, 08:12 PM
Not2New72
Instructor

Sorry for the delay.

It is still available. The paint is good and probably 85% original. The original seams are visible and in great condition.

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
How is the paint on this car?
Is it still available?

Jebby
Old 02-18-2015, 06:31 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default A Visit and a Review...Long Posting

I had a chance to drive down and visit with Roy and his two 72’s (which I nicknamed the “twins”) on Monday this week down in Leesburg, VA. We made it a quick trip for two primary reason, one called the temperatures (it was 5F when we looked at the cars), and the second was a pending snow/ice storm set to come into Northern Virginia on Monday late afternoon. Gordon and I walked around the two cars, climbed under the chassis, looked under the hood, looked inside the car, and generally got a good idea of what Roy has in this package deal he is trying to sell here on the forum.

There are two parts to this package.

Part one is a numbers matching, 1972 Pewter Silver 350/200 base engine with automatic transmission. This car was well equipped with air conditioning, power windows, and power brakes. Interior color was black and it has what appears to be most if not all the interior either in the car or in boxes next to the car at the present time. The engine bay looks as you would expect it might look after a 100k plus miles on the odometer.
The Good – This car appears to be complete though a thorough inventory of all components would need to be completed when the temperature is above freezing. The body is in good shape with clean and smooth lines on all of the panels. There is some fiberglass damage on the driver’s side door but it does not appear to be something that cannot be repaired by someone that knows fiberglass and body repair. I saw no significant cracking or checking on the body panels. Newer exhaust system, new front and rear suspension parts are in place, and Roy was working to install an aluminum radiator and dual SPAL fans when he ran out of working room and had to move these to the storage location. Roy has the title to this car and is ready to sell it and move it out of storage to a new home.
The Bad – Both Gordon and I got under the car to look at the patches put on the frame of this car. Roy pointed them out to us in full disclosure and we crawled under and saw them in person. Neither Gordon or myself saw anything beyond the obvious when under the car. I would love to have had the time and this car at home up on my lift to thoroughly review the under carriage, but not on this day. Having worked on Sparty and having experienced firsthand the issues with birdcage rust we took particular interest in the birdcage area and front kick panel areas to see if there were signs of hidden dangers. Lighting and access were difficult but we saw no signs of birdcage rot on the passenger side, and one area of rust in the A-Pillar section of the driver side under the VIN plate. The amount and extent of the damage was not able to be assessed during this visit but there is some signs of rot in this area and I would love to look at it further with the front windshield removed and all interior panels out of the car. There were some signs of rust as well in the rear area of the birdcage near the rear body mounts but we did not have the ability to access this area due to limited time from the cold and space was a bit too tight to really get under that part of the car. It would be worth another look when the car is up in the air on a lift.

Part Two is a 1972 rolling chassis with engine, transmission, drive line and appears complete. This is a very nice looking chassis and I have built them and sold them before, this is a nice one. Engine has been rebuilt as has the turbo hydromantic transmission but this was done by a prior owner and not by Roy so this was done six plus years ago and the engine has not been run and all components need to be inspected and verified. The engine, transmission and chassis are all matching but without the body you have a really nice numbers matching chassis. I am not aware of the best path forward for rebuilding a title for a new body on this chassis and have not done that in the past so I cannot offer an educated guess on what options may be for this action

The goal of this project was to take the body complete from the 72 and move it to the new chassis and it appears that all components are present to be able to do that swap. The body swap would be a great project for someone that has the ability to do the following and would be happy with the outcome as follows. . I do know that if you have a 68-72 car you love, but it has a rotten chassis, you could use the chassis of this second car to bring your original back into good favor. Remove the engine, transmission and rear end and put your originals on this chassis and mount your body to the car and go. I understand the implications of having all numbers matching with a non-matching frame, I get it. Doing this kind of swap would not be an NCRS favored project but it might just get your car out of the garage and back onto the road…I am just saying.

The project will take some skill. I didn’t have this skill when I walked into the project called Sparty blindly. I have the understanding and skill to do a lot of the work now but not all of the work that would be necessary to put these two cars into one and I have my 1971 coupe in the corral already, so the 72 would be a flip for me and Gordon had we moved forward with the car.

If your goal is to get into a bumper car and you have the skills to repair the chassis, rebuild the engine, put it back together and drive it then I would say the 72 Silver car alone might be the ticket for you.
If you have a 68-72 car body in need of a new chassis then I would say the 72 chassis alone might be the ticket for you.

If you want to blend the two of these cars into one to show or to flip then I would suggest you evaluate your total cost of ownership, total return on investment potential, and make a personal determination if this is the right project for you.

Whatever you decide I will say that Roy will be honest and fair with you and he has lots of documentation that comes with the projects.

Good luck with your sale Roy and best regards,

David Howard
AllC34Me
Old 02-21-2015, 10:19 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

I have made a formal offer and Roy accepted it today. I'll be bringing these 72's North soon and I'll keep you all aware of my plans.
Thank you Roy.
David
Old 02-21-2015, 11:06 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Congratulations Allc34me.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:19 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Priya
Congratulations Allc34me.
Thank you.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:03 PM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 797 Likes on 447 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

David,
Good job
John told me you aquired his 69 as well.
Pretty soon you'll be able to open a vette show room.
Marshal
Old 02-23-2015, 03:37 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by marshal135
David,
Good job
John told me you aquired his 69 as well.
Pretty soon you'll be able to open a vette show room.
Marshal
No showroom in my plans anytime soon Marshall.

The 1969 350/350 Coupe will be finished and sold.
Plans not yet formalized on the 72 Twins as I call them.
Have a 1981 Coupe I am working with now as well.

Going to be a busy Spring/Summer/Fall.

David
Old 02-23-2015, 03:41 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Think you'll keep any of these, David?
Old 02-23-2015, 03:53 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Think you'll keep any of these, David?
No plans to keep any of them at all. I have my 1971 Sparty and that is the only car I intend to keep long term.

1969 will be sold.

1972 twins project plans have not been finalized yet.

1981 has pretty serious damage so it will be parted out. It has a nice ZZ4 engine in it that we intend to bring back to full life and sell.

All decisions will be made in the next couple of weeks but that is where these stand for now.

David

Last edited by AllC34Me; 02-24-2015 at 07:06 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 72 Base Coupe Package Deal

Old 02-24-2015, 10:38 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

I'm a girl David.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:07 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

I'm a girl David.
My apologies, the old Military guy in my answers "yes sir and no sir" to almost everyone, so my apologies for that, never intended to offend.

Thank you.

David
Old 02-24-2015, 07:22 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Quick update for Tuesday. I met up with Roy in Leesburg, VA and we wrestled the 72 Pewter Silver Coupe and most of the parts he had into my truck and trailer and I brought them to Pennsylvania today.
Tomorrow I will make the trip a second time to capture the 72 rebuilt chassis and the remaining parts. We will make plans to capture the 81 in March in North Carolina.

The 72 Pewter Coupe is currently sitting on my driveway and weather looks good for me to get the chassis and then arrange the cars here at home.

More after my second run tomorrow.

David

Quick Reply: 72 Base Coupe Package Deal