Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981 Corvette - Pro Touring Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 08:32 AM
dixiespeed81
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1981 Corvette - Pro Touring Project

350/T56 six speed swap - !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NEW LOWERED RESERVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

SALE PRICE - $4750.00

Location - Athens, Georgia

I am selling a 1981 Chevrolet Corvette that was in the process to becoming a pro touring car. I’ve had the car for 6 years in which the drive train was swapped, suspension was rebuilt, and more. The car has been my daily driver for those past 5 years as well. This will give you some idea of the reliable running condition it was capable of. Sadly, about a month ago, a Camaro pulled out in front of me, I rear ended him damaging the front bumper/clip. The car still runs as it sits, but I do not consider myself a “body guy” (especially fiberglass) so I am selling the vehicle. It looks as though it will need a new front clip because of the extent of the fiberglass damage. This Vette could eventually be worth a lot of money to someone who could fix the damage. Below I will list all the repairs and modifications I have done. I will also list all the problems that the car currently has. Please feel free to ask questions of any kind. I am a Mechanical Engineer with concentration in Motorsports and I’ve been building cars for roughly 8 years. Thanks and happy bidding. [Ty Daniel – (706) 255 0643]

I have tried to list everything that I have done to the car with some prices on parts. I have owned 3 Corvettes, and restored multiple cars./motorcycles in my garage. I completed all the work on the car in my shop at home.

Notes about the car:

The car is a blast to drive. With the gearing and transmission, it will run 90 mph at 2100 rpm, but it still has the wheel torque (3.36 1st gear) to have fun around town. I was able to get mid 20s mpg on the highway and 16-17 mpg around town (if you kept the secondary throttle blades closed!). The wheels were a great improvement in the handling with a larger footprint and lower normal tire to ground pressure, the car sticks very well for an old Vette. With the electric choke it never has any trouble starting in the cold, however sometimes in heat, the car does suffer from the notorious C3 heat soak. It just takes a few more turns from the starter to clear the flooded gas from the intake and it starts right up. It never has any overheating issues with the oversized radiator. The power steering and power brakes work very well on this car and I have never understood why so many people must upgrade to the rack/pinion and hydro-boost setups. From the carfax and my 5 years of owning the car, it has only been in the one wreck that happened recently. The wipers and heat work well. I replaced the check valve, filter, and some hoses in the headlight assembly. Before the wreck they went up and down as they should.

The car has a CLEAR Georgia title ready to be signed over in your name.

Also have many spare parts that are mostly from the powertrain conversion that can go with the car.

Engine (less than 30K miles, $3000)

-350CI – the Power 2 engine from Phoenix Engine Rebuilders, Arizona

-Swirl port cast iron truck heads

-.460” lift hydraulic flat tappet cam

-Holley 600 cfm vacuum secondary carburetor, electric choke (recently rebuilt w/ non-stick gaskets, tuned/jetted)

-Ignition – new HEI distributor, MSD 6AL box, MSD plug wires, new plugs (~$500)

-aluminum Professional Products high rise intake ($200)

-330HP/380TQ – I have a full build sheet on the engine that will come with the car

-No leaks, great power, good gas mileage

-Electric fuel pump (in tank) from an 82’ Vette

-Fuel pressure regulator – 5.5 PSI

Engine Bay

-New alternator

-New aluminum 4 core radiator – rated to cool 700 hp (also have another spare that comes with car)

-Electric fan – thermo-switched (195F On, 180F Off) ($200)

-180 degree thermostat

-12 volt + and – electric buses

-new power steering hoses

Transmission (same mileage as engine, $1200)

-T56 Borg Warner 6-speed from 94 Camaro Z28

-Beefed up to handle 500 ft.lb. of Torque (syncros, gears etc.)

-Keisler Engineering clutch master cylinder kit (hydraulic conversion - $300)

-F1 racing clutch (stage 2 - $200)

-flywheel has been resurfaced

-custom fabricated cross member – trans mount relocation, slots for dual exhaust

-new u-joints – driveshaft and half shafts

Rear end

-has 2.87 gears

-stock dana 44 posi-trac unit

Exhaust

-Flowtec full length long tube headers (1 5/8” diam. tubes) ($130)

-newer true duals

-40 series Flowmaster mufflers with chrome turndowns ($200)

Brakes (stops on a dime!)

-new master cylinder/booster ($120)

-new calipers (x2)

-new pads

Suspension

-I have replaced nearly all the bushings with polyurethane (red) bushings ($200)

-control arms

-trailing arms

-engine/transmission mounts

-sway bar links

-rear leaf spring ends

-New Monroe Sense-trac shock absorbers ($120)

-New 480Lb Moog coil springs ($60)

Interior

-Full Autometer Sport Comp II Gages (~$1000)

-fuel level

-fuel pressure (not hooked up)

-water temp

-oil temp

-voltage

-rpm (not installed)

-switch panel

-ignition

-radio

-back up lights

-fuel pump

Body

-floor pans replaced

-Entire fiberglass body was in great condition prior to accident

-rear half of car is in good condition

Wheels/tires

-2” front

-3” rear spacers

-C5 Corvette wagon wheels

-255/45ZR17 front tires

-255/45ZR18 rear tires

Needs

-weather stripping (has some t-top leaks)

-paint

-body work to fix wreck damage

-e-brake tightened

-pitman arm replaced (little slack in steering)

-rear end has small leak (not dripping but some fluid on the diff housing)

-seats/carpet need to be replaced

-dash is in fair shape

-AC compressor/system is in car but not hooked up or charged (no belt)

-driver’s side door handle and mirror fixed
Attached Images       

Last edited by dixiespeed81; 06-22-2015 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Added a sale price and location
Old 06-12-2015, 11:34 AM
JagNorb
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Forum rules require sale price. Location would help as well.

Quick Reply: 1981 Corvette - Pro Touring Project