Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1979 L48 "restomod" FS

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 07:04 PM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

Default 1979 L48 "restomod" FS

OFF THE MARKET - After talking to a couple of folks who showed interest, I realized I am not actually ready to sell yet. Still too attached to the car - my apologies to anyone who had any real interest.

The mileage of the car overall is 109K. The previous owner bought it with a damaged nose and put an Eckler's 1980-style replacement front clip and hood. He painted it pearl white, the paint is good for a driver - not perfect. Overall appearance is pretty good. In terms of my focus when working on the car over the last 5 years, I have been more in the camp of functionality, enhancing performance and ensuring the car is clean and serviceable. The frame is solid and in good shape. I have been working to build a car that I enjoy driving. This cas has good looks, but also has the muscle many people expect our of a corvette.

Since I purchased the car in 2009, I have done the following work, more or less in this order:

About 70% new interior (dash pad, carpet, door pads and seat covers), and installed a basic pioneer cd/stereo. it all looks pretty good. there is one small tear in the drivers side seat cushion, in an inconspicuous place, so it's not a perfect/pristine interior - but it is nice.

- New front suspension bushings (local shop) and replaced trailing arms (Van Steel)
- Replaced rear spring with a 360 lb composite and front springs with - - VPB 550 lb springs
- New rear gears (3:73 to 1)
- Solid U-joints all around
- Stainless steel Hooker side exhaust with Max Flow inserts
- 17" Aluminum Cragars
- Steeroids R&P
- Upgraded strut rods
- Bilstein shocks
- Front and rear sway bars matched to late 70's handling options; The rear bar is stock-style, not the common aftermarket with incorrect linkage.
- replaced evaporator for AC

The drivetrain is as follows:
- TKO 600 with billet flywheel, mechanical clutch linkage, and .64 OD
- Dart 427 SBC (internally balanced, rotating assembly all forged - built by Ohio Crank)
- AFR 210 Heads with hydraulic roller springs
- Clay Smith 3103 hydraulic retro roller cam
- Quick Fuel 850 DP
- GM serpentine belt system from a 92 Camaro
- Champion 3-row Aluminum radiator with 3300 cfm Flex-a-Lite fan
- MSD 8365 distributor

This drivetrain has about 1500 miles on it. The idle has a little lope and with the Max Flows sounds incredibly aggressive. it revs quickly and pulls hard. I am sure there is a little more left with timing/carb tuning, but based on the ease of starting and driving, it is pretty close as it stands.

Work I will still be doing this winter:
- Driver side regulator rebuild: it already works and is servicable, works but want to clean and replace the rollers. I just did the passenger side.
- Some cosmetic cleanup around the front marker lights - the fiberglass needs some TLC. It is serviceable, but am just getting to those kind of details on the car.

All gauges and controls work - AC blows cold, heater heats, and vents switch like they should. The clock and console gauges function and look good.

This car probably won't suit everyone's taste, especially with a large stroker under the hood. I will add that especially with the TKO, it's not at all hard to handle or drive with the long stroke and relatively long advertised duration (but somewhat moderate duration at .050) cam. it is a quick, powerful car with this drivetrain.

PM if interested.

Last edited by cooper9811; 11-07-2015 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Seller's remorse.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:17 PM
Mikeski
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Sharp looking vette! I like the upgrades you did. With the stoker motor do the headlights still pop up? Just wondering why you didn't do the MSD EFI? GLWTS
Old 11-04-2015, 06:12 PM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

Thank you! Vacuum at idle is about 9-10" - headlights and brakes do still work.

I thought about EFI, and someday may go that route - but just like tinkering with a carb, I guess.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:21 PM
Boondocs
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like what you've done! Let me know if/when you want to sell her.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:32 AM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Wow! This is nice set up! The side pipes, wheels, 4 speed, etc is really a total package.

Get notified of new replies

To 1979 L48 "restomod" FS

Quick Reply: 1979 L48 "restomod" FS