Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 coupe project car $2450

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 08:12 PM
MrTrim
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 171 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default 1972 coupe project car $2450

*****Sold Sold Sold****

I have a 1972 coupe project car that I've been trying to bring back to life. I've found another Corvette that I'd rather have so I'm putting this one up for sale. If the other car sells, I'm going to keep this one and continue moving forward.
My car has not seen the road since 1986 or so. It has been sitting outside whit a broken windshield and no hood. That means just about everything that can move is either very stiff or...won't. The engine is stuck. It may be the original but it has been decked but all the dates line up for the production date of the car. The car was originally Ontario Orange with Saddle vinyl interior. It's a 350/auto with factory a/c, p/s, p/b, p/w. The frame and birdcage is California clean. The body has been hit at one time both front and rear and still needs more repair but it has all original panels. Looks like the owner was going to repaint the car so he stripped everything off the outside and started to repair, sand and primer....but that was a long time ago. I now have a hood, seats, spare tire carrier and a new windshield, that is not installed, that were missing when I got it. Its still missing the front & rear bumpers, door panels and other parts. Like I said this car needs, needs, needs but can be brought back to life or used for a parts car if you have a bad frame or birdcage. So if you like a challenge and have a trailer & $2450.00.....come and get it. Chris cell # 1-805-907-9131
Attached Images  

Last edited by MrTrim; 08-17-2016 at 12:03 AM. Reason: New lower Price...
Old 02-14-2016, 08:15 PM
MrTrim
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default 1972 coupe

Another picture...
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2016, 05:14 PM
MrTrim
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

TTT with more info that has been added and asked for
Old 02-16-2016, 07:18 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 936 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

This would be a perfect candidate for a vintage racecar! Too bad you are on the other side of the country. Good luck with the sale.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:55 PM
MrTrim
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kubs
This would be a perfect candidate for a vintage racecar! Too bad you are on the other side of the country. Good luck with the sale.
Yes, this is the kind of blank canvas that lets you go in any direction that floats someone's boat.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:41 AM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Coming from a '72 Ontario Orange owner, I wish I could bring this one back. But, I'm still working on mine.
The following users liked this post:
MrTrim (02-17-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 04:39 PM
MrTrim
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Ttt:d
Old 02-22-2016, 10:59 PM
MrTrim
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok, I'll ask, other than a few injuries at first, not much interest in this project. Maybe I was too honest in my description but better that than not honest enough. So my question is, too much work, too far away for interested buyers or too much money for the condition? I'm just trying to get my investment back here. Is the C3 market really that soft? I know I'm in for a brutal response from somebody so, have at it cause I know I asked for it.
Chris

Last edited by MrTrim; 02-22-2016 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:21 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTrim
Ok, I'll ask, other than a few injuries at first, not much interest in this project. Maybe I was too honest in my description but better that than not honest enough. So my question is, too much work, too far away for interested buyers or too much money for the condition? I'm just trying to get my investment back here. Is the C3 market really that soft? I know I'm in for a brutal response from somebody so, have at it cause I know I asked for it.
Chris
Hi Chris, I not sure if you mentioned if the car runs but here in Va. I did take a look because I thought the price was okay based on pictures not really seeing it, but my trip would be a long one which for me is a big deal but doable. To drive out with a trailer and see that it was not for me and then drive back empty is a big deal. For me, others might think otherwise. All in all it could be a great project but a lot of members are looking for all the hard and expensive stuff done.
I am still pondering another project. Working on my 69 full restoration. See that wasn't to bad.
Good LUck
ZIO
MrTrim (02-23-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 09:21 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Chris
Chris- that's almost free for a mostly complete car with a solid frame and birdcage as described. You would probably get a little more attention with some photos of the trailing arm area of the frame and some standard birdcage photos.

Again I don't think price is your issue. If you haven't already, you should post it on your local Craigslist.

There is probably more work there than the car is worth if someone has to pay labor- particularly body paint and trim. This is no different from most of our cars, and for the home hobbyist the car is very attractive.

You can never be too honest in your ad and I appreciate what you say about it.
MrTrim (02-23-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Chris
I think with a solid birdcage and frame it seems to be a good buy for a DIY'er. If the Canadian dollar was still worth the same as the U.S. dollar I'd be interested. Only concern for me is that I can see some damage from the posted pictures but would need more pictures to see how extensive it is (or isn't) and some interior pictures to see that the structure hasn't been damaged from being open to the elements before I'd want to invest in a long trip to look at it. With a project like this I think you need a lot of pictures so a person can have some confidence in how much work is needed.
MrTrim (02-23-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 03:19 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Priya
I think with a solid birdcage and frame it seems to be a good buy for a DIY'er. If the Canadian dollar was still worth the same as the U.S. dollar I'd be interested. Only concern for me is that I can see some damage from the posted pictures but would need more pictures to see how extensive it is (or isn't) and some interior pictures to see that the structure hasn't been damaged from being open to the elements before I'd want to invest in a long trip to look at it. With a project like this I think you need a lot of pictures so a person can have some confidence in how much work is needed.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:30 PM
MrTrim
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the helpful replys. I'll get more pictures taken of the frame and birdcage areas. Also some of the body damage in the right rear corner and the interior and get them posted this weekend.
Chris
Old 02-23-2016, 11:04 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the helpful replys. I'll get more pictures taken of the frame and birdcage areas. Also some of the body damage in the right rear corner and the interior and get them posted this weekend.
Chris
And don't forget pictures of the damage in front which isn't apparent in the picture you posted.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:12 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Hi Chris, thanks for posting your car and for asking for input from forum members. Many here have purchased cars and later been hurt by not having asked enough questions initially, so I speak from experience here.

You asked about price. My opinion is I would not adjust your price yet, not enough data here to suggest you need to do that. I, personally, give you great credit for being honest about what you believe to be issues with the car. The more you reveal about it the more buyers can feel confident that what they are seeing is what they would get. Items such as a clean title, in your name, ready to transfer to a new buyer are important for buyers wanting to restore cars. If the car is wanted for parts by someone then they will be interested in knowing what you have that they need or want, and what parts might be able to sell after they get what they need from the car.

You asked about location. It does play a role in decision making, the US is a big place, but people travel for what they want to obtain and a very clean or desirable car would be worth the drive. I will say however, that transportation, like shipping, has gotten a bit out of hand so shipping a car has to be a factor. I believe shippers today want to treat all Corvettes like they are Museum pieces and charging accordingly. If the car does not run under its own power they charge more. I bought a very nice enclosed trailer partially because of the expense of moving my cars using these services. Very happy I did.

If you can get the car inspected by a knowledgeable Corvette inspector, and go over the car with you from top to bottom, front to back, and post everything you know and don't know about the car and post pictures to support what you say, you will get a buyer.

Sorry for the long reply. I am passionate about these cars, and about the buying and selling process, and again I applaud your honesty.

Best of success with your car and best regards,

David Howard
AllC34Me
MrTrim (02-25-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 06:31 PM
MrTrim
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

DAVID,
Thanks for the informative reply. I will have to say that as far as an inspection goes, I used to own a Corvette repair shop back in the day and was an inspector for multiple purchasers in the past. My knowlage base is pretty good in respect to these cars.
I'm kind of a rare bird I guess that can do most anything to these cars and know what to look for as far as "can it be brought back" status. This car is on the edge as far as that goes. There are still some good points about this car and also some not so good points. I think it just depends on the skill set of the buyer. If you have to write checks to get stuff done then run as fast as you can from this car. On the other hand if you are the type that has some skills, and good friends that have the ones you don't, than maybe it could work for someone with a small budget and alot of time and energy. I live in the Sierra foothills below Lake Tahoe and most all the people that have called locally, after I talk to them, I tell them they should pass.
It's not a car for everyone, just the crazies like me....

Thanks Again,

Chris
Old 02-25-2016, 08:09 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

DAVID,
Thanks for the informative reply. I will have to say that as far as an inspection goes, I used to own a Corvette repair shop back in the day and was an inspector for multiple purchasers in the past. My knowlage base is pretty good in respect to these cars.
I'm kind of a rare bird I guess that can do most anything to these cars and know what to look for as far as "can it be brought back" status. This car is on the edge as far as that goes. There are still some good points about this car and also some not so good points. I think it just depends on the skill set of the buyer. If you have to write checks to get stuff done then run as fast as you can from this car. On the other hand if you are the type that has some skills, and good friends that have the ones you don't, than maybe it could work for someone with a small budget and alot of time and energy. I live in the Sierra foothills below Lake Tahoe and most all the people that have called locally, after I talk to them, I tell them they should pass.

Thanks Again,

Chris
Hi Chris, and I guess I am one of those crazies trying to finish an off body restore of a 69. Hoping to complete my 2.5 year project this year sometime. I would be interested in saving your car if I had the chance. Just need to finish this one first. I also wanted to say I respect your honesty which goes along way in this day and age.
Regards
Roger
MrTrim (02-25-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To 1972 coupe project car $2450

Old 02-26-2016, 07:18 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

DAVID,

Thanks Again,

Chris
Thank you Chris. I just looked in the mirror and made two observations after reading your reply. One, my face is red with embarrassment now that I know your background, so my apologies for preaching to the choir. Secondly I recognized that crazed look in my eyes indicating I too must be one of the crazies. At least now I am, my first restoration effort I was half involved, half observer.
Never again.

The term borderline means a lot coming from someone with your background so thank you for your openness, I know I try to do the same and it works.

Best regards and good luck with your sale.

David (Active Club Member)

Last edited by AllC34Me; 02-26-2016 at 07:20 AM.
MrTrim (02-26-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 06:22 PM
MrTrim
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Pictures

Here's another picture. The right side lower birdcage area.
Attached Images  

Last edited by MrTrim; 02-28-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:28 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

No picture.

Quick Reply: 1972 coupe project car $2450