Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can I expect for USD 44k to 48k?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 06:33 AM
spru
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can I expect for USD 44k to 48k?

Hi to all forum members. My name is Raimund and I`m from Austria/Europe. I`m also member in the German forum and on the search for a C3. I`m a absolutely newbie, so please be patient with me. My budget ist btw. USD 44k to 48k. I am looking for a 68/69 BB. Like many others, I love the 69 with sidepipes. Now my questions, can I expect a 68/69 BB for this money? I have absolutely no experience in repairing cars so I need a serious car that I can bring home and enjoy. Would be nice to hear your opinion.

Greetings
Raimund
Old 03-20-2016, 08:04 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

In the 44-48K range you should have no difficulty getting into a 68/69 427/390 coupe or convertible. You might even get into a tri-power 400 or 435 horse. It all depends on the quality of the car, but you are certainly in the price range that will get you into a nice car with some due diligence.

Good luck
Old 03-20-2016, 08:10 AM
spru
Cruising

That sounds good, thank you capevettes!
Old 03-20-2016, 10:49 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Raimund
My car is a 62k mile, full factory documentation, original drivetrain '69 BB 427/390 4 speed coupe with only side pipes and power steering. It still has the original paint and interior along with most components. Almost everything that you cannot see has been rebuilt to make the car more reliable and roadworthy. It still needs some expensive NOS or rebuilt parts to make it even more correct, let alone paint and interior. I would not even consider selling mine for $48k in it's present condition.

You can certainly buy a 69 BB 427/435 side exhaust car for your budget, even a red convertible with leather seats, air conditioning and power everything. The big question is...exactly what is it that you will end up getting for your money? That could vary greatly, anything from a cobbled-together clone to a worn-out pig with a heavy coat of lipstick to a nice looking, mostly correct car that still needs more done to it...which you are not apparently willing to do.

The big question is, what do you expect from the car? Appearance, performance, resale value? Everything you might want is attainable and available...for the right price.
Dennis

Last edited by Faster Rat; 03-26-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:45 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
Raimund
My car is a 62k mile, full factory documentation, original drivetrain '69 BB 427/390 4 speed coupe with only side pipes and power steering. It still has the original paint and interior along with most components. Almost everything that you cannot see has been rebuilt to make the car more reliable and roadworthy. It still needs some expensive NOS or rebuilt parts to make it even more correct, let alone paint and interior. I would not even consider selling mine for $48k in it's present condition.
You don't have to worry about that, no one would offer you anywhere near 48K for that car. The OP cannot only by a real nice big block 69 for 44-48 k, he can have it shipped to Europe too and not go over that price.

He can get into a nice 435 hp car for that price:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...427-435-a.html

Last edited by Priya; 03-20-2016 at 11:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TNT (03-21-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 12:35 PM
TMU
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '15, '17

The Hagerty valuation tool can give you a good idea on price vs condition for the cars you are considering.
https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuati.../Corvette/Base

Ebay completed auctions in another good source.

Once you find a car you are interested in you can post the pictures and description in the C3 general section for opinions.

Before making any kind of deal you would need to have the prospective car thoroughly inspected for mechanical and cosmetic condition, originality and rust.

This will give you an idea on the areas of rust these cars are subject to
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html
Old 03-20-2016, 04:11 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Priya
You don't have to worry about that, no one would offer you anywhere near 48K for that car.
Certainly few people on this forum would, but no one? Market value is determined by a much larger audience than here. If I were ever to think about selling, which I am not, it would go rather quickly...just by word of mouth.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:39 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Raimund,
First, Welcome!
I believe I remember someone else posting from Austria, maybe in the last week or so.
I think you need to realize that there are MANY cars that can be described as 69 bb coupes, but they can/will be VERY DIFFERENT from each other.
Without knowing more about the type of car you're looking for it's irresponsible to say what the type of car you're looking for is likely to cost.
Are you looking for a car with documentation?, owner history?, a restored car?, an original car?, a car with some modifications?, a car with a judging history, a car that needs nothing? needs tinkering???
The more clearly you can describe the kind of car you'd like to buy, the more the price RANGE for a car like that can determined.
69 BB car are very serious cars, and very desirable! People who have really nice examples realize that and their car's prices reflect that popularity and market demand.
So, how about a little more info about what you're looking for?
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 03-20-2016 at 06:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
marshal135 (04-08-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 07:44 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

Make certain that any inspection that is done on a prospective purchase is done by a corvette expert. An "inspector" that examined a car that I sold had absolutely no idea of what to look for. He acted as though he was looking at a 2010 Honda-lights, horn,wipers, tires, brakes, radio-check, check, check! He had no clue as to the issues these car have. Lucky for the buyer that the car was in nicely restored condition, the inspector wouldn't have known anything.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:11 AM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 657 Likes on 468 Posts

Here is what looks like a great 1969 coupe on Craigslist. I have no affiliation with the seller. $45k asking price with what looks like a legit window sticker and side pipes. Missing a few things like the smog system and original alternator but its a nice car....side pipes...love factory side pipe cars.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5480436261.html
Old 03-21-2016, 05:57 AM
spru
Cruising

Good morning from Austria and thank you very much to all of you for your input/assistance!

As mentioned I`m a total newbie to Corvette and don`t have the technical skills to work on a Corvette. So, what I`m looking for is a Vette that is technically and optically in nice condition, where I can get into it, turn the key and enjoy a ride. Most important to me is a full working Corvette with no need of necessary work to bring it to life. I`m not a collector, I only want to enjoy a good looking/sounding car during a nice ride. Documentation would be nice.
After checking Hagertys valuation I would say that I should be able to get at least a L36 in excellent condition. The truth is, after searching countless pages for a nice BB, that the actual market situation doesn`t reflect Hagerty because most BB are much more expensive. So I am open to all BB offers. I have only following preference after the add from ed427: sidepipe car, 4 speed, BB. That`s it. I am definitely interested into this gold Vette. Other offers are also welcome!
@ed427vette: Do you know this seller

Does anybody know if Haggleme.com is serious?

Here is also something interesting:
http://littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/5498042494.html
http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/5489174094.html
http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/5493028601.html
http://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/5485971037.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5431255864.html
http://nanaimo.craigslist.ca/ctd/5482442989.html

Wish you all a nice day
Raimund

Last edited by spru; 03-21-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:23 AM
crossram
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
In the 44-48K range you should have no difficulty getting into a 68/69 427/390 coupe or convertible. You might even get into a tri-power 400 or 435 horse. It all depends on the quality of the car, but you are certainly in the price range that will get you into a nice car with some due diligence.

Good luck

Old 03-21-2016, 10:24 AM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 657 Likes on 468 Posts

Hello Raimond,
I do not know the seller of the gold corvette. I just saw the ad. It looks like a good candidate to check out.

I am always searching and in my opinion the Hagertys value guide is really only a vague ballpark figure. Also, the cars you see that are very expensive, above your budget, will likely be for sale for a long time. Many people ask ridiculous money. If you spend some time looking, you will find more cars like the gold one on Craigslist. Don't rush. They are out there. Watch some eBay auctions. See what they end up selling for, not what they are asking, but pat attention to the ones that actually sell. There are some good cars on eBay. And some dreamers too.
Best of luck,
Ed
Old 03-21-2016, 02:07 PM
sbaba
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi Raimund,

Does your budget include shipping and import taxes?
You will have two shipping costs: 1. To the port and 2. to Austria.
Shipping costs will be thousands of dollars. I don't know what type of duty Austria puts on cars.

Also, as others have stated, you will absolutely want someone to inspect the car for you. I have found people on this forum to inspect cars. You can also look at a local NCRS chapter where the car is located to have an expert inspect the car for you. An expert inspector is money well spent.

That said, with your budget, you should be able to find a nice 68/69 big block that you will be very happy with.

I was in Denmark last summer and saw two beautiful chrome bumper C3's driving down the road and was thrilled to see them!
Old 03-21-2016, 09:20 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

contact Mike Terry in the C-1 section. He has people in your country and I think he has sent a car or two over there. He is a good guy and may be a great contact for you.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:13 PM
ORANGEBROTHERS
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

You can get a very nice driver quality C2 or an ultra nice BB C3 for that money...
Old 04-07-2016, 11:56 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

You should be able to get a car in incredible condition for that kind of money especially for a driver. Like about perfect, probably something with many upgrades, hp od trans etc. Rebuilt/new motor trans everything working type car

As said you could get a pretty nice C2 for that also so be VERY picky

Pass on the # match 1 of xxx cars if youre going to run it around and play with it. While they may be nice youll get less for your money most times. Many of these cars are "fakes", some are aware of it some not.

If it were me Id go into it with the idea of if were say originally a sb auto no option type car and someone created it to what it is now would you still be Ok with it type thing.

Someone who has had it a long time is a plus

Agree on getting an expert to look at it get it on a lift make sure there is NO rust anywhere and it wasnt "restored" with spraypaint theres a lot of heaps out there with a paint job interior kit and an engine detail ready to fall apart.

Request reciepts (not everyone keeps them but everyone remembers what they spent/where) or some way to verify a major component has been rebuilt dont listen to "I forgot" or "someone said" or trust me's...A running video is a huge plus

If i had a dime for every car ive seen than said rust free or "solid" then look underneath and well...theres rust everywhere Id be rich

Youre spending a lot of money so ask questions a legitimate seller who knows his car is "right" will spend the time to answer them take photos of the good bad and ugly.

Ask for pics of parts of the birdcage or whatever they can (within reason) if they refuse move on. Being overseas youre at a disadvantage should someone not be honest with you.
Take your time

Last edited by cv67; 04-08-2016 at 12:40 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To What can I expect for USD 44k to 48k?

Old 08-06-2016, 07:58 AM
ozman1966
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

with that 44/48k money, search all the car descriptions and click on the link and see what price they are asking, its very simple
Old 09-14-2016, 05:18 AM
Schlicki
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by sbaba
You will have two shipping costs: 1. To the port and 2. to Austria.
Shipping costs will be thousands of dollars.
Got some shipping quotes from Houston to Rotterdam as I am looking for a C3 in TX and want to bring her home to Germany (port of Rotterdam/Netherlands is only 180 mls away from my home).

Including all port fares, taxes, paperworks, shipping a C3 from Houston is about 2.5k. Must 'only' the costs of bringing her to Houston.

And I must find one matching my budget and taste....
Old 09-14-2016, 12:03 PM
ENCSDOUG
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Might be able to talk him down a little to stay in your range + shipping/tax

http://www.thevettenet.com/listing_d...milar%29_T-Top

Quick Reply: What can I expect for USD 44k to 48k?