Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1971 Project in Southern Indiana

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 03:32 PM
Dale_z28
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1971 Project in Southern Indiana

I am selling this car for a friend. I have cleared this with an Admin and I take full responsibility of the sale and representation of this car. What I don't know about it, I will find out. I will post the link thru photobucket but I will be adding many more pictures, so please check back often and ask questions!
I worked this weekend on getting it started, and successfully ran it on starting fluid - seconds at a time. It will need a fuel pump and carb rebuild to run. It has sat for many years, the PO bought it as a father-son project and soon after, passed away. His widow knows nothing about this car. It has turned into somewhat of a father-son project for me, for which I am grateful, but it needs to find a home where it is truly appreciated (I have a Camaro).
I have not yet gotten pictures of the birdcage area, but hope to shortly. One thing I found interesting was the console and air cleaner were both labeled "350 c.i. / 270 hp" but the code on the block is stamped "CJK" which (according to my Chilton manual) is a 330 hp engine. I'm listing it for $5500, but I'm sure you guys will tell me what it's worth...and Thank You!
Anyway, here's the link to the pics (the password is corvette): http://s828.photobucket.com/user/dale_z28/library/cars
I can be reached at dale_z28@hotmail.com or by phone or text at 765-506-7867

Last edited by Dale_z28; 04-11-2016 at 03:34 PM. Reason: added contact info
Old 04-11-2016, 09:06 PM
G.Rossman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15, ‘18, '21

Photos say password protected.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:29 PM
Dale_z28
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by G.Rossman
Photos say password protected.
Yes...password is corvette
Old 04-12-2016, 07:54 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

FWIW: if you share your Photobucket album, the password is not required.
The following users liked this post:
Dale_z28 (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 08:03 AM
Dale_z28
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
FWIW: if you share your Photobucket album, the password is not required.
Thanks, Mike! As you can probably tell, I don't have much experience with photo bucket. I'll see if I can change that...
Old 04-12-2016, 11:56 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

The pictures so far well document the condition of the car. Some similar pictures of the birdcage area and the frame just in front of the rear wheels(maybe taken from looking down into the wheel well?) and I think you give a prospective buyer a lot of confidence in whether or not they want to look at the car.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:42 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Dale,
There's been some discussion about the CJK broadcast code.
It appears in 'some' GM literature as a 330hp engine with automatic transmission! (An LT-! with an automatic transmission!!!!!!).
Information from the Flint engine plant describes it as a 270hp engine with an automatic transmission.
Observations of CJK engines have shown an engine with a hydraulic lifter cam, Rochester carburetor, cast iron crankshaft, and 2 bolt main bearing caps…. all supporting the 270hp figure.
So it's likely that's what this car's engine is.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 04-12-2016 at 06:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dale_z28 (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 08:15 AM
Dale_z28
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Dale,
There's been some discussion about the CJK broadcast code.
It appears in 'some' GM literature as a 330hp engine with automatic transmission! (An LT-! with an automatic transmission!!!!!!).
Information from the Flint engine plant describes it as a 270hp engine with an automatic transmission.
Observations of CJK engines have shown an engine with a hydraulic lifter cam, Rochester carburetor, cast iron crankshaft, and 2 bolt main bearing caps…. all supporting the 270hp figure.
So it's likely that's what this car's engine is.
Regards,
Alan
That makes sense. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2016, 08:23 AM
Dale_z28
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Priya
The pictures so far well document the condition of the car. Some similar pictures of the birdcage area and the frame just in front of the rear wheels(maybe taken from looking down into the wheel well?) and I think you give a prospective buyer a lot of confidence in whether or not they want to look at the car.
I haven't opened up the kick panels to take pictures of the birdcage areas yet, but I added several of the rear wheelhouses as you suggested. Thank you and feel free to point out anything that would help describe (and sell) this car better, it needs a home. I also put the seats back in, and mounted the beauty rings and centers on the wheels. There was no reason to leave those as loose parts, and the car looks better, too.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:29 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Dale,
I really don't see anything too scary in looking at the latest pictures.
If in fact the birdcage and frame turn out to be solid it's still going to take a buyer willing to make a sizable commitment to a base motor, automatic car.
It might also be attractive to someone looking for a complete but needy car to use as a basis for a modified build.
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-13-2016, 02:39 PM
Dale_z28
Heel & Toe

Hi Dale,
I really don't see anything too scary in looking at the latest pictures.
If in fact the birdcage and frame turn out to be solid it's still going to take a buyer willing to make a sizable commitment to a base motor, automatic car.
It might also be attractive to someone looking for a complete but needy car to use as a basis for a modified build.
Regards,
Alan
Thanks, Alan. I'll post the rest of the pictures ASAP. I guess what I need now is a realistic value for this car. I listed it for $5500 because the PO paid $6800. But now that you've pointed out that it's a base-model, automatic, etc, what's it actually worth?

I have received offers ranging from "I'll haul it off for $100" to $2500. I hate to see this numbers car parted away, but I'll keep the engine and tranny if it comes to that - I've got a '53 Studebaker pickup project that would love Chevy V8 power.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:27 PM
jhudec
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 129 Posts

Interesting it has the HD caps on the on rear end.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:02 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Dale_z28
Thanks, Alan. I'll post the rest of the pictures ASAP. I guess what I need now is a realistic value for this car. I listed it for $5500 because the PO paid $6800. But now that you've pointed out that it's a base-model, automatic, etc, what's it actually worth?

I have received offers ranging from "I'll haul it off for $100" to $2500. I hate to see this numbers car parted away, but I'll keep the engine and tranny if it comes to that - I've got a '53 Studebaker pickup project that would love Chevy V8 power.
As a restorer of a base engine automatic numbers matching car (1971 Brands Hatch Green Barn Find here on the forum) I can suggest your price is probably high at $5,500 but I am not an appraiser, just a buyer, so offering an opinion on pricing I will leave to others. With the damage I see and knowing the amount of work and money ($25K plus) needed to restore this one I myself would not be an interested party at that price. The question of worth is one which will be debated until the ends of time as worth is whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

I love that it has good bones and hopefully someone will pick this up from you and bring it back to the road.

Good luck with your sale and best regards,

David
Old 04-18-2016, 08:46 AM
Dale_z28
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by AllC34Me
As a restorer of a base engine automatic numbers matching car (1971 Brands Hatch Green Barn Find here on the forum) I can suggest your price is probably high at $5,500 but I am not an appraiser, just a buyer, so offering an opinion on pricing I will leave to others. With the damage I see and knowing the amount of work and money ($25K plus) needed to restore this one I myself would not be an interested party at that price. The question of worth is one which will be debated until the ends of time as worth is whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

I love that it has good bones and hopefully someone will pick this up from you and bring it back to the road.

Good luck with your sale and best regards,

David
Thanks David. I'll lower the price to $4500 and see if there is any interest. I am just wanting her (the widow) to get as much $$ back as possible. I don't believe her husband knew the amount of money it would take to restore it to a functioning vehicle. I only met him once or twice and didn't even know about the car until after he had passed.
I have considered taking it up to Bloomington Gold in June if I still have it, it should get some attention there, but I need my car trailer back, so sooner is better.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:52 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Dale,
I continue to think about this car and my feeling that it's going to be difficult to find someone to buy it to fully restore, because of it's color and automatic transmission, has grown.
That leaves finding the person who's looking for a car to use as a basis for a project. That person is really only going to be concerned with how solid the body and frame are and how inexpensively he can get a car to begin with. Sad, but I think true.
Still hoping that you can find a buyer so you'll have a nice check to give your friend!
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 04-18-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:40 PM
Dale_z28
Heel & Toe

Hi Dale,
I continue to think about this car and my feeling that it's going to be difficult to find someone to buy it to fully restore, because of it's color and automatic transmission, has grown.
That leaves finding the person who's looking for a car to use as a basis for a project. That person is really only going to be concerned with how solid the body and frame are and how inexpensively he can get a car to begin with. Sad, but I think true.
Still hoping that you can find a buyer so you'll have a nice check to give your friend!
Regards,
Alan
After I lowered the price here on the forum, I went to my Facebook page (where I'd listed it on a 'C3 cars and parts for sale' page) and did the same. I'd had a couple of bumps earlier when I first posted pictures, so I went back and found the guys and let them know of the price reduction. One came back with an offer of $3500, so for now it's a tentative sale. As soon as it's picked up I will let the members know (and the admin?) so this thread can be retired. Fingers crossed!
Old 04-18-2016, 02:56 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

After I lowered the price here on the forum, I went to my Facebook page (where I'd listed it on a 'C3 cars and parts for sale' page) and did the same. I'd had a couple of bumps earlier when I first posted pictures, so I went back and found the guys and let them know of the price reduction. One came back with an offer of $3500, so for now it's a tentative sale. As soon as it's picked up I will let the members know (and the admin?) so this thread can be retired. Fingers crossed!
Old 04-23-2016, 06:40 PM
Dale_z28
Heel & Toe

The 1971 Corvette has been sold, thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:48 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

The 1971 Corvette has been sold, thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions.
Congratulations. Nicely done!

Get notified of new replies

To 1971 Project in Southern Indiana

Quick Reply: 1971 Project in Southern Indiana