Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68-71 C3 4-Spd Solid Driver Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 09:19 PM
LWWAHOO
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68-71 C3 4-Spd Solid Driver Wanted

I am looking for a Solid 68-71 Driver #3 Vette. Please no sellers trying to sell a Driver as an Excellent #2 car. The candidate must be a #'s Matching and all original as possible. If it has the original leaky brake calipers GREAT I will rebuild them.

I am not a car flipper but enjoy a New Project every 3-4 years. I am looking to perform a Body Off Restoration so purchasing a Driver with a Fresh Daily Driver Paint Price or Body On Restoration will not work. I will make you a fair offer based on the Vette's options etc.

Feel free to email me lwwahoo@aol.com
Attention: Lee Ward

Last edited by LWWAHOO; 07-06-2016 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:11 AM
LWWAHOO
Heel & Toe

So no one has a Good Solid Driver or is it that no one has a Solid Driver at a #3 Driver Price for Restoration? Those who have paid for a Full Restoration knows it will cost at least $20K and that is conservative. A show quality paint is at least $12K.

If you have a Solid Driver #3 Vette I will make you a Fair Offer.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:16 AM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Welcome Lee! I think you will find the majority of the people on this forum are honest people that will not try to deceive a potential buyer. I have both bought from and sold cars to forum members. I get what you are saying about some overstating the condition of their car but sometimes it is a matter of each person's perception. Ask lots of questions, get plenty of pictures etc. before you make the trip to look. In April I bought a car from a forum member several hours away. The car was exactly as described and probably better. Good luck and I know you will find the car you want at the right price. My experience has been that it usually isn't the private seller that over describes their car but dealers. I once made a trip to look at what was supposed to be a nice '70 convertible from a dealer only to find out that it had many issues including complete rust out in the lower A pillars.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:35 AM
LWWAHOO
Heel & Toe

Default My experience

Originally Posted by blue67ragtop
Welcome Lee! I think you will find the majority of the people on this forum are honest people that will not try to deceive a potential buyer. I have both bought from and sold cars to forum members. I get what you are saying about some overstating the condition of their car but sometimes it is a matter of each person's perception. Ask lots of questions, get plenty of pictures etc. before you make the trip to look. In April I bought a car from a forum member several hours away. The car was exactly as described and probably better. Good luck and I know you will find the car you want at the right price. My experience has been that it usually isn't the private seller that over describes their car but dealers. I once made a trip to look at what was supposed to be a nice '70 convertible from a dealer only to find out that it had many issues including complete rust out in the lower A pillars.

This isn't just a Corvette Forum issue it is just an issue and a fact. I am looking for a Solid Driver/Fair Condition Vette to restore. That being said MOST Sellers Private or Dealer represent their car as being in Excellent Condition because of its age. If it looks this good and it is 40 years old it must be in Excellent Condition right? Truth be told the vast majority of Collector Cars are #3 and #4 cars. A fresh re-spray and detailing does not make for a #2 Condition Vette.

I recently had an unpleasant experience with a Private Seller here on the forum. He provided a hand full of pictures and when I asked for more information regarding the Restoration and additional pictures (undercarriage) he didn't bother to take the time and put the car on a lift and take them. He took some pictures laying down which were useless. In the end I was called a tire kicker for asking the right questions and doing my due diligence as I always do when buying a Collector Car and what I would expect when selling one.

If I want to buy a Solid #2 Car it has to be one and it has to have the Documentation. If you are a Seller Do Your Homework and represent your car but don't insult knowledgeable buyers for asking and doing their due diligence.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:53 AM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

I've been a Corvette owner for 43 years, my '71 for over 40 years and I still get confused when I read descriptions like driver, #2, #3, #4, etc. I don't know what I would call mine, it was a used Chevy when I bought it in 1975.

Good luck Lee, I'm sure your future Corvette is out there.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:38 PM
LWWAHOO
Heel & Toe

Default Collector Car Condition

Originally Posted by 71 Green 454
I've been a Corvette owner for 43 years, my '71 for over 40 years and I still get confused when I read descriptions like driver, #2, #3, #4, etc. I don't know what I would call mine, it was a used Chevy when I bought it in 1975.

This will be important to determine if and when you go to sell it. Go to the Hagerty Website and check out their Valuation Tool. I am sure you have watched the show on Velocity "What is my car worth"? The condition of the vehicle is CRITICAL when determining a Collector Cars Value.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:43 PM
LWWAHOO
Heel & Toe

It is also worth noting that I do own both a 67 Camaro RS and an 81 C3, the Camaro is a Solid 3+ Car while I would say that my Vette is just a nice Solid #3 driver. Neither car has been fully restored but both have had a re-spray. A re-spray and detailing does not make a #2 Excellent Condition Car. That being said there is nothing wrong with a Solid Driver Car that is all original and unrestored. My Camaro has 33K original miles and is a One Owner Car while the C3 has 71K miles and I'm the 3rd owner. Both are beautiful cars and show well at any local car show.

Last edited by LWWAHOO; 07-06-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:09 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by LWWAHOO
This will be important to determine if and when you go to sell it. Go to the Hagerty Website and check out their Valuation Tool. I am sure you have watched the show on Velocity "What is my car worth"? The condition of the vehicle is CRITICAL when determining a Collector Cars Value.
No, I've never watched the show on Velocity, I'll have to check it out.
My '71 LS5 4 speed Convertible with 55K miles has original paint, interior, soft-top, etc. I'll need help from the forum to determine my asking price.
Thanks for information.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:11 PM
LWWAHOO
Heel & Toe

My '71 LS5 4 speed Convertible with 55K miles has original paint, interior, soft-top, etc. I'll need help from the forum to determine my asking price.
Thanks for information.

Sounds like an awesome survivor!
Old 07-06-2016, 01:43 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Keith Martin's condition sidekick does not put the cars on a lift. He just walks around and looks for scratches in the paint and trim.

After 12 years and $30k additional spent underneath rebuilding and body-on restoring almost everything, I also have no idea what number to assign. I could say it is a #2, you might say it is a #3 because it still has the original paint, interior, carpet and chrome. Are you looking for an original drivetrain car, or is a replacement crate engine acceptable? Are you planning an NCRS restoration, or are you going to mod the car?

To improve your chances of landing a catch on your fishing expedition here, may I suggest you either be more specific about what you are looking for or disclose how much you are willing to spend. Oh...and spare us the lectures. Most of us know what these cars cost to own.

Last edited by Faster Rat; 07-06-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:52 PM
LWWAHOO
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
Keith Martin's condition sidekick does not put the cars on a lift. He just walks around and looks for scratches in the paint and trim.

After 12 years and $30k additional spent underneath rebuilding and body-on restoring almost everything, I also have no idea what number to assign. I could say it is a #2, you might say it is a #3 because it still has the original paint, interior, carpet and chrome. Are you looking for an original drivetrain car, or is a replacement crate engine acceptable? Are you planning an NCRS restoration, or are you going to mod the car?

To improve your chances of landing a catch on your fishing expedition here, may I suggest you either be more specific about what you are looking for or disclose how much you are willing to spend. Oh...and spare us the lectures. Most of us know what these cars cost to own.

Isn't that what you just did? lecture? I would NEVER disclose what I am looking to spend in my search because it would be flexible based on the individual car. I am looking for a #'s Matching Survivor that shows its age and obviously needs a new paint and restoration rather than one that has 90K miles on it all original with a re-spray being offered as an #2 Car. There is nothing wrong with an ALL original survivor and yes there are some who are willing to pay more for this over and above the condition of the Vehicle.

Was this a lecture?

As for the show "What is my car worth" The condition is based on a visual inspection and the assumption that the rest (undercarriage) is in similar condition or accurately described. I would not take his Condition to the bank because he did not fully evaluate the car.

Last edited by LWWAHOO; 07-06-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:39 PM
longbros
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Email sent
Old 07-06-2016, 11:38 PM
LWWAHOO
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by longbros
Email sent

Fred,

Thanks so much for your email. I am interested in your Vette. I have a pretty busy day tomorrow but would like to try and connect with you and talk about your Vette.

Regards,

Lee
Old 07-06-2016, 11:42 PM
LWWAHOO
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by blue67ragtop

Thanks for the feedback/input and I am glad you had a pleasant Buying Experience.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:33 AM
LWWAHOO
Heel & Toe

Default Condition

Thanks for information.

I copied this from Hagerty for you, perhaps this will help you in trying to determine what Condition your Vette is in for Value Purposes. Yes everything is subjective BUT when a collector car goes to auction the cars condition is always a factor. The fact of the matter is that most Collector Cars are #3 and #4 cars by definition and there is nothing wrong with that. It is only an issue when a seller paid Top #2 money for their car and trying to do the same when selling it or worse a car flipper just trying to make a quick buck. Just my two cents for whatever it is worth.

Condition Ratings

#1 vehicles are the best in the world. The visual image is of the best vehicle, in the right colors, driving onto the lawn at the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the vehicle has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are correct and superbly fitted. The one word description for #1 vehicles is "concours."
#2 vehicles could win a local or regional show. They can be former #1 vehicles that have been driven or have aged. Seasoned observers will have to look closely for flaws, but will be able to find some not seen by the general public. The paint, chrome, glass and finishes will all appear as excellent. No excessive smoke will be seen on startup, no unusual noises will emanate from the engine. The vehicle will drive as a new vehicle of its era would. The one word description for #2 vehicles is "excellent."
#3 vehicles could possess some, but not all of the issues of a #4 vehicle, but they will be balanced by other factors such as a fresh paint job or a new, correct interior where applicable. #3 vehicles drive and run well, but might have some incorrect parts. These vehicles are not used for daily transportation but are ready for a long tour without excuses, and the casual passerby will not find any visual flaws. "Good" is the one word description of a #3 vehicle.
#4 vehicles are daily drivers, with flaws visible to the naked eye. The chrome might have pitting or scratches, the windshield might be chipped. Paintwork is imperfect, and perhaps the body has a minor dent. Split seams or a cracked dash, where applicable, might be present. No major parts are missing, but the wheels could differ from the originals, or other non- stock additions might be present. A #4 vehicle can also be a deteriorated restoration. "Fair" is the one word that describes a #4 vehicle.

Last edited by LWWAHOO; 07-07-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:04 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,327 Likes on 2,775 Posts

============

Members, if you have had posts removed from this thread, its because they were contributions the OP does not find helpful to his Wanted thread. As the OP of the thread, he has that right. Any back and forth on such details is not going to help the thread's purpose. Please move on to another thread if you do not agree with the particulars stated here.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 07-09-2016 at 08:16 PM. Reason: review completed
Old 07-10-2016, 01:20 PM
LWWAHOO
Heel & Toe

Thanks Corvette Forum, I have a couple of Great Leads on a few Good Restoration Candidates.

Get notified of new replies

To 68-71 C3 4-Spd Solid Driver Wanted

Quick Reply: 68-71 C3 4-Spd Solid Driver Wanted