Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For Sale 1977 Tan L-48 Corvette Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 09:23 AM
cdavis03
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JimLentz
Tentatively sold.
Good luck! Don't see how it wouldn't sell at that price!!!
The following users liked this post:
JimLentz (08-05-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 07:41 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Looks like it might be back on the market.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:55 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

The gentleman from Amsterdam wants to buy it, but wonder if I could do better locally. It's certainly more of a hassle to do an international sale. I can't even imagine from the buyers' side of it.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:14 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

The gentleman from Amsterdam wants to buy it, but wonder if I could do better locally. It's certainly more of a hassle to do an international sale. I can't even imagine from the buyers' side of it.
It's really not that much of a hassle. I've sold two cars to overseas buyers. One went to Australia and the other to Germany. You will have to help the guy with some faxes of title etc. but that's about it. Both times we did a wire transfer where the money will be in your account before anyone picks up the car. Once I received the money I sent the signed title by FedEx to the buyer. Just because I am cautious I set up an additional savings account at my bank with a minimal amount of money. I gave this account number to the buyer as opposed to using my primary account. When the money transfered I withdrew it and put it in one of my other accounts. This probably isn't necessary but with so many scams I wasn't giving out my primary account numbers. This was actually recommended by my bank. If the guy wants to buy it I would say go for it. Good luck. Just remember do not send the title to him until you have the funds in your account. I would accept no other form of payment from a foreign buyer other than wire transfer.
JimLentz (08-12-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 04:25 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by blue67ragtop
It's really not that much of a hassle. I've sold two cars to overseas buyers. One went to Australia and the other to Germany. You will have to help the guy with some faxes of title etc. but that's about it. Both times we did a wire transfer where the money will be in your account before anyone picks up the car. Once I received the money I sent the signed title by FedEx to the buyer. Just because I am cautious I set up an additional savings account at my bank with a minimal amount of money. I gave this account number to the buyer as opposed to using my primary account. When the money transfered I withdrew it and put it in one of my other accounts. This probably isn't necessary but with so many scams I wasn't giving out my primary account numbers. This was actually recommended by my bank. If the guy wants to buy it I would say go for it. Good luck. Just remember do not send the title to him until you have the funds in your account. I would accept no other form of payment from a foreign buyer other than wire transfer.
Perhaps it was the first buyer, but I would send something he asked for and he would want more. It reminds me of getting a mortgage where when you apply you provide everything they ask for and then the want 3 more things... So, you think FedEx is the best way to get the title to him. Anything that makes this easier/safer is good. I also do my best to verify that a potential buyer is a real person with a valid email address. Google can find a lot, but you still need to be careful. I have 11 boxes of parts that I hope are safe going to the international buyer, but have my concerns. My thought is to take a picture of the car when they pick it up with the boxes inside. Thanks for the tips!
Old 08-11-2016, 10:19 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

2018 C2 of Year Finalist

You are exactly right about taking pictures. Also take pictures of the car on the transporter. When the car I sold arrived in Australia there was some trim damage. I of course was able to email the buyer a photo on the truck with no damage. I know it seems to you that the buyer may be asking for a lot but he is really the one taking the risk. He is sending money before he has either the car or title. He is just making sure you aren't going to scam him.

Last edited by blue67ragtop; 08-11-2016 at 10:21 PM.
JimLentz (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 08:10 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

You are exactly right about taking pictures. Also take pictures of the car on the transporter. When the car I sold arrived in Australia there was some trim damage. I of course was able to email the buyer a photo on the truck with no damage. I know it seems to you that the buyer may be asking for a lot but he is really the one taking the risk. He is sending money before he has either the car or title. He is just making sure you aren't going to scam him.
The buyer also mentioned taking pictures when it is loaded up. I don't want the buyer to be responsible for damage the shipper causes. Thanks again for you input!
Old 08-12-2016, 08:13 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ed T
NO !! BTDT a few times!! The title stays with the car and the shipper/hauler will then take the car and title with him to Customs. It is all about trust on the buyers end, he takes all the risk and he makes all of the shipping arrangements. Real easy for you, not so much for him.

Yes, take plenty of pics of the car and boxes of parts before the transporter loads/leaves your house and forward those pics to the buyer so he will rest easy. Honest communication between the 2 of you will make this transaction go easy. GLWS, it is no big deal if you both have patience.
Thanks for the very helpful info. You have had some experience selling internationally. Apparently there is quite the demand for Corvettes in other countries. Thanks again!
Old 08-12-2016, 08:38 AM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Ed may be right on the title issue regarding customs. It has been over 10 years since I sold to a foreign buyer and some regulations may have changed. Good luck Jim and I hope it all works out for you.

Last edited by blue67ragtop; 08-12-2016 at 08:39 AM.
JimLentz (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 01:04 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Ed may be right on the title issue regarding customs. It has been over 10 years since I sold to a foreign buyer and some regulations may have changed. Good luck Jim and I hope it all works out for you.
Thanks, I will verify this.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:46 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ed T
Suggest you let the buyer do the leg work, here is an FYI link

https://www.carfax.eu/article/shipping-car-europe.html

also, see these at the bottom of the article

Other interesting articles
Part 1: Import a car from the USA - Where to buy and what to keep in mind
Part 3: Car transport to Europe – How to get your car from America back home
Part 4: Customs clearance and import tax from USA – How much it will cost to import a car into Europe
Part 5: Vehicle Registration and License Plates – What you need to do before you can drive
Special: Importing American Classic Cars - From buying and shipping to customs and registration.
Thanks for the additional great info, Ed!
Old 08-16-2016, 05:59 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I received the wire transfer this morning, car will be heading to New York and then on to Amsterdam.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:33 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Goodbye!

Old 09-01-2016, 04:36 PM
cdavis03
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Goodbye!

Congrats! Is it sad to see her go? Haha
Old 09-01-2016, 04:42 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, there is an empty space in the garage, etc.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:40 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

2018 C2 of Year Finalist

New buyer should be happy. Congratulations
JimLentz (09-02-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 10:17 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

New buyer should be happy. Congratulations
Yes, he actually said he would send me some wooden shoes as a gift for being such an accommodating seller. He seems like a good guy.

Quick Reply: For Sale 1977 Tan L-48 Corvette Coupe