Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB: '68-'72 Convertible (looking for leads/advice)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 01:53 PM
redbarchetta74
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default WTB: '68-'72 Convertible (looking for leads/advice)

Greetings all:

New member but long-time lurker, I'm currently in the market for a '68-'72 convertible with hopes of finding something over the next 3-4 months. I'm primarily looking for a driver that I can tinker with, not something that will sit in a garage just to look pretty. Yes, I've reviewed the 10 rules (which are great and informative) and I do a bunch of work on my current cars so there isn't much from a maintenance perspective that scares me. If I don't have the tools (or time) to do the work, I have plenty of connections that I can farm out to.

I'm willing to spend around $20k-$25k and while numbers-matching isn't that important to me, I'd like to find something that has period-correct components (no '68's with a 454). I'd really like to find a big-block that falls within my budget, but realize that I may have to settle for a 350 to locate something that doesn't land me in the doghouse and isn't a rehab job.

As for colors, I'm flexible outside of yellow, white, and orange. I'd prefer a black interior, but could be swayed by something else if the price is right.

I think that's it for now. Any advice or leads that anyone has is greatly appreciated. I look forward to securing something soon and actively participating as a C3 owner on the board in the near future...

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2017, 03:31 PM
NMT1957
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

What part of the country are you located in. It seems I see alot of cars when I'm not in the market for one

Ned
Old 02-02-2017, 03:52 PM
redbarchetta74
Instructor

Originally Posted by NMT1957
What part of the country are you located in. It seems I see alot of cars when I'm not in the market for one

Ned
Southeast (Georgia). Will travel (or pull a network favor) to view if the right car comes along.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:35 PM
carjack007
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Red,
I am currently thinking about selling my red '72 convertible, white top and black interior. I will be taking pictures in a few weeks. If you have some interest let me know. I will be happy to answer any questions. The car is in Moncks Corner, SC,
Regards, Bob
Old 02-03-2017, 11:00 AM
redbarchetta74
Instructor

Originally Posted by carjack007
Hi Red,
I am currently thinking about selling my red '72 convertible, white top and black interior. I will be taking pictures in a few weeks. If you have some interest let me know. I will be happy to answer any questions. The car is in Moncks Corner, SC,
Regards, Bob
Thanks -- assuming your asking fits within my budget, I'd be interested in hearing more about the vehicle. Feel free to PM or respond here with any details.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:03 PM
ClaudioC4
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

http://www.certifiedheadquarters.com...ingray-412088/
Old 02-04-2017, 08:01 AM
seacliffe301
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by redbarchetta74
Greetings all:

I'm currently in the market for a '68-'72 convertible with hopes of finding something over the next 3-4 months. Any advice or leads that anyone has is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Good luck on your quest. I remember making the same decision about 15 years ago.

I've owned a stock, '72 small block convertible since then. I purchased the car locally with what was then about a 2 year old paint job. The seller had a personal friend who was the of the owner of one of the premiere Vette restoration shops in this region. They pulled out all the stops on this repaint. Stripped to bare glass, new body seams etc. I got very lucky in this regard. 17 years on, this paint still looks like new. Since then, I've done everything else. The car looks beautiful, fun to drive, etc.

In hindsight, without a doubt, the most important piece of advice I can offer is to get whatever car you're considering inspected by a qualified Corvette expert. Someone who knows the nuances as well as pitfalls of these cars. Again, I was fortunate in this regard. Tracy Performance locally offered inspection service at the time. Not only total piece of mind, but an educational process as well. Spend some time on this Forum and you will read some of the horror stories of folks who have bought cars with bad or faulty frames, birdcages, trailing arms, electrical, brakes, etc.
These items can cost a fortune, just to make a car road worthy. And this is before any real restoration process has begun.

I would seek referrals from Forum members or local Corvette chapters (if avail) for possibilities. Best of luck.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:53 AM
redbarchetta74
Instructor

Originally Posted by seacliffe301

In hindsight, without a doubt, the most important piece of advice I can offer is to get whatever car you're considering inspected by a qualified Corvette expert. Someone who knows the nuances as well as pitfalls of these cars. Again, I was fortunate in this regard. Tracy Performance locally offered inspection service at the time. Not only total piece of mind, but an educational process as well. Spend some time on this Forum and you will read some of the horror stories of folks who have bought cars with bad or faulty frames, birdcages, trailing arms, electrical, brakes, etc.

I would seek referrals from Forum members or local Corvette chapters (if avail) for possibilities. Best of luck.
Thanks seacliffe -- great advice. Hopefully I can be as fortunate in my quest as you were. I do have a buddy locally with a ton of experience who knows his way around restorations, albeit his experience is mostly with European cars (Jags). I suspect that I may need to reach out for some help if the right vehicle comes along that isn't in my area code. It's one thing to know what to look for, but it's entirely another to have the hands-on experience with these cars like so many others here do.

Thanks again for the great input.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:36 PM
redbarchetta74
Instructor

Any thoughts on this one? https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/cto/5992326072.html

A bit outside of my budget but worth taking a look at?

Edit: CL add was pulled as soon as I started asking tough questions. Go figure!

Last edited by redbarchetta74; 02-09-2017 at 11:44 AM. Reason: CL ad no longer valid
Old 02-10-2017, 09:44 AM
redbarchetta74
Instructor

bump - still looking!
Old 02-12-2017, 02:03 AM
TNVettGuy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 C1 of Year Finalist

PM Sent
Old 02-14-2017, 04:10 PM
TMadden
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5993223666.html
Old 02-14-2017, 05:42 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

Are you looking for numbers matching? Reason I ask is , I have owned two L-48 C 3s and the motors are dogs.....Never drove a big block C -3 so I can't say for sure how they feel in regards to power....

My present car is a 73 convertible in which I swapped out the motor years ago.Still have it, it's just on a stand in my garage.....

If you come across a C-3 non numbers matching that's sporting a nice horsepower motor I would consider it.....These cars are a lot more fun when they have some power behind them....Plus they won't be as expensive as a numbers matching but will provide a lot more fun....
Old 02-14-2017, 08:12 PM
redbarchetta74
Instructor

Saw that -- beautiful car but beyond my budget and a SB.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:14 PM
redbarchetta74
Instructor

Originally Posted by zrc3john
If you come across a C-3 non numbers matching that's sporting a nice horsepower motor I would consider it.....These cars are a lot more fun when they have some power behind them....Plus they won't be as expensive as a numbers matching but will provide a lot more fun....
That's exactly what I'm looking for. Numbers-matching is not that important to me. I just want a good '68-'72 convertible BBC that is a quality driver that I can work on. Not interested in "project" cars that need a ton of rehab, but something that has the big-ticket items done right.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:06 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

My 73....Too bad the Govt mandated plastic bumpers for 73....
​​​​​​​
Old 02-16-2017, 09:28 AM
reno stallion
Melting Slicks

Received 1,518 Likes on 801 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

look down the page at 69 roadster for sale. not a beauty but its a driver

Get notified of new replies

To WTB: '68-'72 Convertible (looking for leads/advice)

Old 02-16-2017, 10:11 AM
redbarchetta74
Instructor

Originally Posted by zrc3john
My 73....Too bad the Govt mandated plastic bumpers for 73....
​​​​​​​
Beautiful car - I just love that matching front chrome though!
Old 02-17-2017, 01:44 PM
redbarchetta74
Instructor

Originally Posted by reno stallion
look down the page at 69 roadster for sale. not a beauty but its a driver
Saw that -- looks like a heck of a project. Not sure I could take that one on...
Old 02-18-2017, 12:38 PM
redbarchetta74
Instructor

still looking - thanks to those that have PM'd some vehicles to me!

Quick Reply: WTB: '68-'72 Convertible (looking for leads/advice)