C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

they have a turbo kit for C4..

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 07:26 PM
red L98
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default they have a turbo kit for C4..

i called the guys a HP performance and they sid they do have a kit for the c4 , the base kit is 4800$ with injectors and fuel pump and you can get the kit with the t76mm turbo for 5300$ . it takes 45 working days to have a kit shipped. i think im going for it

http://www.hpturbos.com/
Old 03-21-2006, 07:34 PM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

There was a blue L98 that had their first kit. he posted numbers here somewhere. Pretty impressive.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:35 PM
Upstate
Safety Car

Location: [Quote=WOEII] Is dried brown doodie powders man! [/Quote]
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to see someone finally stepped up.

Old 03-22-2006, 03:09 AM
drochau
Racer

BUYER BEWARE!!!
I live in New Mexico and have heard NOTHING but horrible things about these guys.

This is our local car club/forum. 3k members and growing.

http://racingsouthwest.com/forums/in...HP+Performance

Use your discretion...they suck my .02
Old 03-22-2006, 10:36 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mn_vette
There was a blue L98 that had their first kit. he posted numbers here somewhere. Pretty impressive.
Was it here? I'd be interested to see the 'kit'. I did a search, but did not find anything.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:58 PM
Baldturbofreak
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drochau
BUYER BEWARE!!!
I live in New Mexico and have heard NOTHING but horrible things about these guys.

This is our local car club/forum. 3k members and growing.

Use your discretion...they suck my .02
HOLY MOLY!!!!! What a read!
Old 03-23-2006, 11:26 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

The guys name is EVLTWIN. I can't find any posts that he started, but let me see if I can compile a list of comments.

The turbo on my '85 is from HP performance in Roswell New Mexico. I don't know if they have developed it as a kit yet.

1985 L98, single turbo, stock internals, 364 RWHP, 497 lbs/ft RW torque. I have never had it to a track, so I don't know times. I know it is fun!

I have a single turbo system from HP Performance. Air conditioning is still there and functioning. Works great.

They told me the kit would be available 2 months after mine was done. I got mine back in beginning to mid June. So as far as I know they should be available. The website you refer to is a distributor not the guys at HP. Jimmy and Nathan at HP were always helpful. You can reach them at 505-623-2555.

Pictures were posted in a thread called Turbo Project Updates?? that was on here earlier. It is still up. It runs great. You can really feel the torque. The engine gets into the boost real quick. RWHP 361 and torque is RW 497. The engine is essentially stock. The exhaust is Borla. With the turbo there were a number of mods including a new computer, MSD ignition, Msd wires, custom headers, Spal fan with a switch that turns it on at 180, 160 thermostat, K&N filter, boost and fuel pressure guages, adjustable fuel pressure regulater, performance MAF, 42lb injectors and probably other stuff I am forgetting.

The motor is stock. It is on an '85 L98. It runs 9lbs of boost which can be adjusted. I spent about 6k on everything including labor.

Originally Posted by TONYDEE64
You can put a really large one in front of the radiator if you stand it up and move it back toward to engine, but air flow/coolant heat will likely be a problem.

That is where mine is. It is the same size as the radiator. I did have some cooling problems initially but then I cleaned out the area around the radiator (bunch of leaves and stuff) and installed a 3000cfm dual Spal fan. Now it runs between 178 and 183 degrees consistantly.

My engine is essentially stock. Prior to taking it the HP I had a chip, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, high performance MAF, optima battery, borla exhaust, high performance headers from Corvette Central, K&N air filter system, a chip and maybe some other "bolt-on" stuff. It had all made some difference. The car was rated from the factory at 230 (not RWHP). As I said before it dynoed at 231 RWHP in 2003. I talked to HP today. They had been trying to tune with Tuner Cat. Apparently they got little or no assistance from that company with the air/fuel ratio problem. They are now moving to the Tuner Pro software to try to figure it out. If anyone has suggestions I will relay them to HP. The problem is an air/fuel ratio too lean above 4000 rpms. I am in daily contact with HP and will certainly update as new info becomes available.

With some tuning it was 351 hp at 4700 rpm and 445 torque at 3700 rpm. I asked them to dial down the torque since I am simply looking to have unique driver, not a race car. I also wanted to have my transmission last for a least a while. They are continuing to tune and are going to do one more pull.

Those numbers were made with a max boost of 9.3 and an average of 8.8. They completed everything yesterday. There was an issue with the intake tube rubbing on the hood. It is now modified but they need to refinish the tube with jet hot or powder coating. Once that is done they will deliver it. They have driven it on the street. They said it is very responsive. It gets into the boost right away and stays there. I will probably have it this weekend.

I have the car! During normal driving it is the same as before, except the gas mileage is better. It has great accleration when you get into the boost. A 30mph jump seems instantaneous. The turbo sound is wicked. Its like a warning to whoever is next to me. Overall I am very happy. It looks cool, sounds cool and kicks butt.

You are correct. The turbo is where the battery was. The battery is in the driver's side compartment in the hatch area (two storage compartments, one driver and one passenger side). I am still able to use the removeable storage bin, and the battery is underneath. It remains very accessible. I have had it back about a month now. The only problem I have noticed is that the stock cooling system is not sufficent. It is running about 215 -217 F. Prior it ran about 180. HP ordered me a 3000 CFM Spal (?) dual fan and wiring harness. It will be wired to kick on at a certain temp and when more than 2lbs of boost are generated. I have noticed no difference in normal driving conditions. It runs as good as ever. There is one difference, I am getting 8 -9 MPG better than before.

I can't seem to find the pictures, but read through this page and you should be able to email some of the people there to get them.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1097483&page=2
Old 03-24-2006, 11:14 AM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i'd love to have a turbo on my '85, but it is a lot of money. That sucks that the guy with the stang got ripped off. I would think maybe it was miscommunication or something, but an engine is a pretty big thing to screw up.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:38 AM
neat
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I didn't really see anything that would deter me from using HP turbo's. One guy went in on the day were closed, and the other guys said he got a bad motor, but never could really prove anything.

Did I miss something?
Old 03-24-2006, 11:48 AM
neat
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

http://www.turbochargedpower.com/

Are these the same guys?
Old 03-24-2006, 12:32 PM
redbullapril23
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

will the kit fit a 96 c4?

and what exactly does the kit include?
thanks your friend
Sean
Old 03-24-2006, 12:42 PM
drochau
Racer

Originally Posted by neat
http://www.turbochargedpower.com/

Are these the same guys?
Yeah same guys. Give it a shot if you want. Just telling you what I know.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:55 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks MN Vette!
Old 03-28-2006, 07:06 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I have the pics here
Hope he does not mind me posting them

Old 03-28-2006, 07:34 PM
evltwin
Instructor

That is my car. I am glad you posted the pics because I have still not made the effort to figure out how to get it done. I have had the car back for a year now. No problems with the performance. Initially I did have alot of problems with HP and the time frame in which they promised to get it done. Like alot of cars here my is 21 years old. I have had others things not related to the turbo go like the battery or a melted spark plug wire, but overall I am happy with the power and performance. Stock was 231 and as someone posted it is now 361 or 364. More than a 50% increase is not too bad. I paid less than that because they took money off for the delay. In the end I think it cost 3800 to 4000.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:57 PM
red L98
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not bad for the price
Old 04-04-2006, 07:09 AM
ncChris
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm... 45 working days ?? Drochau's post??
That would make me a tad nervous. These guys must have a tremendous number of orders if they are 45 working days behind. I would look for several more postitive posts before investing hard earned dollars. My .02 cents

Get notified of new replies

To they have a turbo kit for C4..

Old 04-04-2006, 05:00 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by bill mcdonald
I have the pics here
Hope he does not mind me posting them

Sweet setup, I was wondering if that was a good location.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:01 PM
evltwin
Instructor

I have not had any trouble with the location. I have had it out more since the weather is better. It is running great.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:54 PM
BigTexas
Burning Brakes

Is that kit for the LT1 also?

B.

Quick Reply: they have a turbo kit for C4..