C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1989 Factory Twin Turbo (Callaway) For sale, w/in>

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 09:15 AM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Default 1989 Factory Twin Turbo (Callaway) For sale, w/in>

I thought I would post this in a seperate listing from the other thread, as I have had a few inquiries about the car -

The original ad is located here: http://www.vettehound.com/geo/classi...php?a=2&b=3060
However, it cut off after so many words - so here is the complete text:

FOR SALE

1989 Callaway Twin Turbo Corvette

One of 68 built for model year 1989 out of approximately 500 Callaway Twin Turbos made between 1987 and 1991. This car was factory rated at 382 horsepower and 562 lb-ft of torque.

Black on Black and with an automatic transmission, this Callaway Twin Turbo Corvette has just turned 30k mi and features the following…

Corvette options:

In addition to the dual power seats, electronic A/C, glass top, etc. the car has the following:
AQ9 Leather Sport Seats
FX3 Select Ride Adjustable suspension
J55 13” brakes
Z51 Performance handling package

Callaway Upgrades:
Ø Big Wonderbar
Ø Callaway Coilover suspension
etc., etc., etc

In addition to the 382 horsepower and 562 lb-ft of torque that the Twin Turbo Callaway Engine put out, this car has been upgraded with the “Big” Callaway Wonderbar cross member to feed more air into the turbos. This Callaway factory upgrade is a $1,950 option – plus installation, and is regarded as the “the single best item to upgrade on these cars”.
The Callaway C.O.I.L. over suspension currently costs $2,190 – plus installation.

Car is currently equipped with an upgraded long block and other equipment totaling over $20k in additional upgrades. Car currently makes an estimated 550 hp (details & receipts upon request) all professionally done. Original numbers matching engine is in a crate, and included in the sale. Original paperwork included. (Previous owner decided that 382 hp wasn’t enough (!) and had the work done to the car.

Car was recently completely gone through and tuned by Callaway Cars in Old Lyme, Connecticut in October 2005 (Receipts available upon request).

Overall condition, very nice.

Price: $32,000
Price includes the ZF6 spd gearbox, that came with the car - I have the pedal cage, beam, bellhousing, console for 6-spd, etc, etc, etc. to go with the car -

In addition to the above, I am told the car has had porting to the rams horn and intercooler tracts. I bought the car for my wife - she say's it is too fast for her, and will stick to driving our other 1989 black coupe -

Some pictures of the car are below:

Last edited by *89x2*; 04-02-2006 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:32 AM
easycreeper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been lusting after this car for months now... Sure wish I could find a way to add this bad boy to the stable. Good luck with the sale, Chris!

P.S. Did you ever get it dynoed? I'm sure you won't have any problems meeting/exceeding the estimated HP number. And just think of the torque!!
Old 04-02-2006, 05:35 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Originally Posted by easycreeper
I've been lusting after this car for months now... Sure wish I could find a way to add this bad boy to the stable. Good luck with the sale, Chris!

P.S. Did you ever get it dynoed? I'm sure you won't have any problems meeting/exceeding the estimated HP number. And just think of the torque!!

Thanks - I just had someone over to the house and they could not believe the ammt. of car for the $$$

As you know, those looking to build a twin turbo car, cannot do it to this level, for anywhere CLOSE to the money

I did not take it to get dynoed however, with my other Callaway Twin Turbo beside it, this car flat out pulls right past, and beyond

Thanks for looking
Old 04-04-2006, 04:31 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

By request, attached, is the tally sheet for the engine and transmission work done to enhance the vehicle performance of this car -
Old 04-04-2006, 06:39 PM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

89x2,
Was this work just completed as indicated on the WO? Wow!!! Did you have the work done, or was it the person who previously owned the car? How long have you had this car?

In effect, someone could have had this work done, payed by credit card and sold the vehicle befor the amount came due on the card.

Damn, I would want to enjoy the car at least for a while, if I spent this amount of money.

Aaron
Old 04-04-2006, 06:58 PM
DetroitWarMachine
Cruising

me and my friend are really curious--how many pounds of boost do the turbos run stock? My friend says NOOOOOOOOO way can you run 20psi of boost on stock internals. He figures a safe zone would be about 10psi of boost or less.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:41 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DetroitWarMachine
me and my friend are really curious--how many pounds of boost do the turbos run stock? My friend says NOOOOOOOOO way can you run 20psi of boost on stock internals. He figures a safe zone would be about 10psi of boost or less.
Thought I'd pipe in, though Chris is the expert on these cars. Callaways didn't have stock internals, they were modified. And I believe they run 55 "Hg of absolute pressure. After accounting for the atmosphere, I believe that's about 12.5 psi.

And since I'm a goob and think it's neat, that's about $29,950 in 2006 dollars.

Last edited by Aurora40; 04-04-2006 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:42 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DetroitWarMachine

...between 10 psi and 12 psi depending upon the year of the Callaway - 88+ cars typically ran 54 hg's as indicated on the factory boost guage.

I hope this helps
Old 04-04-2006, 08:41 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AKS Racing
89x2,
Was this work just completed as indicated on the WO? Wow!!! Did you have the work done, or was it the person who previously owned the car? How long have you had this car?

In effect, someone could have had this work done, payed by credit card and sold the vehicle befor the amount came due on the card.

Damn, I would want to enjoy the car at least for a while, if I spent this amount of money.

Aaron

Sorry, I did not see your post earlier - I have had the car for a year - bought it for my wife.

Regarding the work done, Previous owner did the conversion - Yes, he paid the bill - This is a real car that is known by Callaway Cars & LPE alike.

The past owner had the car from 1991 - until I bought it - I am certain he enjoyed it.

In addition to the invoice I posted, he did the Callaway Wonderbar and the Callaway Coliover suspension prior to that -

Not sure what you are suggesting or implying otherwise about the credit card - please do not make speculative comments.

Pevious owner had the work done - date is on the paperwork.

I had the car gone through and sorted at Callaway in Oct. - that bill was several, several thousand dollars as well.

I hope this answers all of your questions.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:20 PM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

Originally Posted by *89x2*
Not sure what you are suggesting or implying otherwise about the credit card - please do not make speculative comments.

Pevious owner had the work done - date is on the paperwork.
89x2,
I was not suggesting or implying anything other than the date of the work order leaves only 90 days of "driving fun" to the current date. I would have to take a bit more time "making sure everything was just right" before offering up for sale. Or at least that is what I would tell the wife to put off the sale.

You have an awesome car, and I certainly did not mean for you to take my comments in that manner.

Aaron
Old 04-04-2006, 10:22 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AKS Racing
89x2,
I was not suggesting or implying anything other than the date of the work order leaves only 90 days of "driving fun" to the current date. I would have to take a bit more time "making sure everything was just right" before offering up for sale. Or at least that is what I would tell the wife to put off the sale.

You have an awesome car, and I certainly did not mean for you to take my comments in that manner.

Aaron

Aaron, you do realize that is a 1996 on the invoice, right?? ...a little longer than 90 days

Thanks for the clarification and compliments on the car - the internet can be difficult to read expressions through
Old 04-04-2006, 10:31 PM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

Aaron, you do realize that is a 1996 on the invoice, right?? ...a little longer than 90 days

Thanks for the clarification and compliments on the car - the internet can be difficult to read expressions through
Damn, I read that as '06. My apologies, completely. Folks when you get in your mid 30s, the eyesight is the first thing to falter.

Aaron
Old 04-07-2006, 09:16 PM
TURBO VET
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What auto trans is in the car?
Old 04-08-2006, 07:52 AM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TURBO VET
What auto trans is in the car?

The transmission is a 700r4 built by Rossler, installed at the LPE shop during the engine conversion (see invoice posted earlier by me).

LPE did the swap, that included a new (automatic) pedal cage, console, and all the other parts to make the change look factory. I am including what I have, to put it back to the six-speed, if the buyer wants to do that (trans, console, c-beam, bellhousing, etc, etc, etc.).

Constructing transmissions that last, is Rosslers business - LPE uses them exclusively for their auto trans work - they are simply, the best!
(I had a Rossler 700r4 behind my 383 T/A for the 10 yrs. I had the car - never any hint of issue )

Rosslers website is www.rosslertrans.com

Thanks for your interest
Old 04-08-2006, 08:29 AM
TONYDEE64
Drifting

If I only had one more garage stall......
Old 04-08-2006, 02:09 PM
blown87
Race Director

GA Events Coordinator

That is a sweet ride.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:00 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TONYDEE64
If I only had one more garage stall......

Originally Posted by blown87
That is a sweet ride.

Thanks guys

Obviously, starting out w/ a factory Twin Turbo car made for a super clean installataion of the upgrades - The work was done by a top name shop. If you are looking for a Twin Turbo go-fast car, I seriously doubt you could do a project car for even close to the money on this one - much less, match the quality!

Thanks again guys for looking

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 Factory Twin Turbo (Callaway) For sale, w/in>

Old 04-08-2006, 09:48 PM
TONYDEE64
Drifting

Thanks guys

Obviously, starting out w/ a factory Twin Turbo car made for a super clean installataion of the upgrades - The work was done by a top name shop. If you are looking for a Twin Turbo go-fast car, I seriously doubt you could do a project car for even close to the money on this one - much less, match the quality!

Thanks again guys for looking
Trust me... I speak from experience here.. there is NO WAY you could duplicate that car for the asking price.. even if you did most of the work yourself... and then you'd have to sort it....
Old 04-12-2006, 06:28 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TONYDEE64
Trust me... I speak from experience here.. there is NO WAY you could duplicate that car for the asking price.. even if you did most of the work yourself... and then you'd have to sort it....
Thanks Tony - I agree - for the money, you could not even come close to matching what this car has
Old 05-04-2006, 05:05 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

...Fired her up over the weekend - What a car!

...wish I could convince my wife to driving it

Quick Reply: 1989 Factory Twin Turbo (Callaway) For sale, w/in>