C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

TPIS miniRam vs SuperRam

Old 07-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Albert C4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPIS miniRam vs SuperRam

Which is a better intake for FI engines? This would replace L98 tuned port.

-TPIS Mini-Ram
-SuperRam
-Tunnel Ram

Last edited by Albert C4; 07-14-2006 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:19 AM
Jaxian
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Default which manifold

It would depend entirely on where and how you were going to use it. A tunnel ram is a 3500 to 7500 rpm range manifold with great top end and weak low end. It is also very tall and won't fit under the hood of your car. If you are making a drag only car then it's a great manifold, if not, it's completely unsuitable for a street car compared to the others.

If this is a street car in a state with smog laws that also gives you an easy answer. The mini ram and to my knowledge no other complete aftermarket manifold is smog exempt with the exception of the Super Ram. So if you have to get it smogged and it's a street car, it has to be a Super Ram.

I have a Super ram on my car and to be honest if I could runa mini ram I would. The Super Ram makes great torque everywhere but runs out of breath at higher rpm's. This wasn't an issue with stock L98 heads that where all you could get for years, but now with the cheap very high flowing heads from AFR, Brodix etc the Super Ram can be an impediment to high end flow. I have a supercharger so this is not really my issue for wanting the Mini Ram. I would rather have a mini ram because of the simplicity, the Super Ram is 5 pieces. Base, two runners, plenum, and top. They can all leak. They are not easy to assemble. The mini-ram is a standard one piece bolt on. But it has no EGR provision at all. Instant fail for smog if that matters.

So to recap. Drag car, high end, hole in the hood or hood scoop, max top end horsepower, tunnel ram.

Street car, good flowing heads, no smog laws, more high end biased, mini ram.

Street car, good but not oversized heads, very broad torque curve, smog legal, like the stock manifold with all the shortcomings removed, then the Super Ram.

That being said if you read these boards you will see people fabbing up the most insane custom manifolds for very specific uses. So it really depends on what you want to do with it. Hope the information helped some.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:33 PM
jburnett
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jaxian
That being said if you read these boards you will see people fabbing up the most insane custom manifolds for very specific uses. So it really depends on what you want to do with it. Hope the information helped some.
That would be my area of involvment...
-Jeb

Get notified of new replies

To TPIS miniRam vs SuperRam

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPIS miniRam vs SuperRam