C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1990 Calloway Sledgehammer - Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 05:10 PM
crosstheline
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Calloway Sledgehammer - Problems

Friend of mine has as the title says, build #11 from Calloway. Car has very low miles (I believe less than 20K) and he is thinking about selling it for a new Grand Sport or possibly getting his problem fixed and keeping it.

His problem is overheating when it is in slow traffic and it is hot outside with the a/c running. I had the same problem with my c5 and went with a Dewitts radiator and it fixed the problem. I asked him about the radiator and he states it is an aluminum radiator (w/o paint) so it sounds like an aftermarket item. I also asked about fans (I don't know if the c4's had fans on them) and he "doesn't know". He is not a wrench guy but likes the toys.

I asked him if he knew what thermostat is in the car and he does not know (he is the second owner and has had this car for years).

He said the main reason of selling the car is that it is so uncomfortable to drive in the summer which is all the driving the car has ever got. He lives in Utah and I believe he bought the car in Denver years ago so the car has been in high altitude all of its life. I asked him if the car has ever been tuned and he replied no.

Being an twin-turbo setup any of you guys have any ideas?

Old 01-29-2011, 05:59 AM
bizaro
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

No help with your problem. But there is only one sledgehammer that I know of. Your friend has a Callaway but not the sledgehammer.

Callaway SledgeHammer CorvetteFile:Corvette-sledgehammer-16.jpgClassmodified carBody style(s)coupéLayoutFR layoutEngine(s)5733 cc / 349.8 cu in V8 Twin Turbo
Dual Bosch fuel pumps feed the systemTransmission(s)6-speed manualWheelbase2,443 mm (96.2 in)Length4,483 mm (176.5 in)Width1,803 mm (71.0 in)Height1,186 mm (46.7 in)Curb weight1,589 kg (3,503 lb)DesignerPaul Deutschman
callaway corvette
After the Car and Driver test event, which Callaway drove a specially modified Callaway Twin Turbo Corvette (C4), known as the "Top Gun" project to the best of 231 mph (372 km/h), winning the test run. A production Callaway managed a best of, 187.95 mph (302.48 km/h).[12]
As Callaway wanted to take the record further into 250 mph (402 km/h) with the car being docile during traffic, he developed the SledgeHammer Corvette, to allow airflow into the engine, he commissioned Paul Deutschman of Deutschman Design to develop the Callaway AeroBody for stability.[13] The engine was extensively hand built with its turbo intercoolers being relocated from either side of the intake manifold to the front, behind the bumper. Overall engine power was rated at 898 horsepower (670 kW) @ 6200 rpm with 772 lb·ft (1,047 N·m) of torque @ 5250 rpm.[12] The car retained its road car amenities such as power windows and locks, Bose radio, electronic air conditioning and, power sport seats with all necessary race car modifications such as roll cage.[12]
Driven by John Lingenfelter, the car reached 254.76 mph (410.00 km/h) mph at the Transportation Research Center, Ohio and was driven back to Old Lyme.[12]
The Callaway AeroBody would become commercially available this would become the first of the partnerships with Deutschman, in which he also designed its later models such as Speedster, SuperNatural, C7, C12 and C16.[13
Old 01-29-2011, 08:07 AM
tachout
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also live in Utah. Specifically Sandy Utah. I do all my own wrenching on my Vettes. If it gets over my head, I take it to Lung Automotive in Lehi. Tell him to look them up on the net and call them. Have him ask for Vince and have Vince look at it. My guess is either his secondary fan is not coming on, or there might be something else wrong. If he would like, just have him shoot me a PM and I will be more than happy to swing by and look at it myself.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:06 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Pics of THE Sledgehammer I took at Funfest '09, Your friend can get hold of Callaway. They should be able to point him in the right direction.

What a stunning piece of automotive art!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:30 AM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
Pics of THE Sledgehammer I took at Funfest '09, Your friend can get hold of Callaway. They should be able to point him in the right direction.

What a stunning piece of automotive art!

thanks for that. who owns this??
Old 02-26-2011, 06:47 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
thanks for that. who owns this??
A private collector in Colorado.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:33 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by crosstheline
Friend of mine has as the title says, build #11 from Calloway. Car has very low miles (I believe less than 20K) and he is thinking about selling it for a new Grand Sport or possibly getting his problem fixed and keeping it.

His problem is overheating when it is in slow traffic and it is hot outside with the a/c running. I had the same problem with my c5 and went with a Dewitts radiator and it fixed the problem. I asked him about the radiator and he states it is an aluminum radiator (w/o paint) so it sounds like an aftermarket item. I also asked about fans (I don't know if the c4's had fans on them) and he "doesn't know". He is not a wrench guy but likes the toys.

I asked him if he knew what thermostat is in the car and he does not know (he is the second owner and has had this car for years).

He said the main reason of selling the car is that it is so uncomfortable to drive in the summer which is all the driving the car has ever got. He lives in Utah and I believe he bought the car in Denver years ago so the car has been in high altitude all of its life. I asked him if the car has ever been tuned and he replied no.

Being an twin-turbo setup any of you guys have any ideas?

The dealer who sold him the car mentioned to me the other day, they would like to buy the car back on trade. Maybe have your friend give them a call.

Get notified of new replies

To 1990 Calloway Sledgehammer - Problems

Quick Reply: 1990 Calloway Sledgehammer - Problems