C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Supercharging an LT1 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 03:17 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks awesome!
Old 06-24-2013, 04:43 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love that custom radiator. Looks great! Bet that is adding up nicel $$
Then will come the traction issues.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:49 PM
Brand-X
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the chrome version of those valve covers. How did you get them to clear the alternator? Looks awesome, BTW.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:43 PM
Mo_Bandy
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

That my friend is down right pretty!!!

Great pictures!

MO
Old 10-01-2013, 07:02 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

UPDATE TIME
Old 10-01-2013, 07:08 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Boy does this bring back memories >>>>>
tell ya what I took my hub over to a machine shop to check out the diameter, and I ran some very fine emery cloth on it for a while used my trusty anti-sieze, went on pretty good

( Brand X post)
I was having to put a huge amount of force on the wrench trying to press-fit that puppy on there and each and every time I applied force to the wrench I was terrified I was either going to strip the threads on the rod (the one that screws into the crank) or worse yet, snap the rod inside the crank itself (which of coarse would require the engine to be removed). Amazingly, the threads stayed intact and after the hub was on about half way, it suddenly became easier to turn the wrench. The second half required only half the effort for the hub to press on. That's when I knew the end was in sight and the hub was nearly there.

What a relief when I finally seated the hub...

The Kent Moore hub installer I purchased was obviously designed with the stock hub in mind and not an aftermarket one like the ATI. The new hub is much longer in length and the problem I had was that the "forcing nut" would bottom out on the threaded rod (the one that fits into the crank) right at the point where the threading stopped. This wouldn't allow me to press-fit the hub any further in since I couldn't tighten the nut any more. To remedy this, I ended up finding a place that sells industrial washers with a 1" ID & 2" OD.

I slid 4 of these thick washers over the forcing nut. Now, rather than applying force to the inside of the hub, I was now applying force to the outside of the hub (the washers sat up against the face of the hub).

A simple enough fix, but boy was it hard finding washers with those dimensions. Here's some pic's of the big @ss wrench needed to tighten the forcing nut and another showing the extra thick washers I had to use to keep the nut from bottoming out on the threaded rod sitting in the c

Last edited by illenema; 11-11-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:21 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Any updates?
Old 11-29-2013, 01:32 AM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Updates?
Old 12-12-2013, 12:59 AM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Making any progress there?
Old 12-16-2013, 10:48 PM
Curveit
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would you tell me the Part # for that Thermostat Housing; or what it's used on. I've tried to find it by the numbers on it, but I'm not having any luck... Thanks

Old 12-17-2013, 10:27 AM
89L98TPI
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 12-17-2013, 04:10 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

You'll have fun with that blow off valve. I get all sorts of looks when I'm cruising around due to the car sounding like a street sweeper. It's loud at part throttle but sounds awesome letting off the throttle; it's quiet under boost. I run the pro charger red valve
Old 01-07-2014, 09:36 PM
17inac4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brand-X
I have the chrome version of those valve covers. How did you get them to clear the alternator? Looks awesome, BTW.
Kinda late to your post but I run these as well and I took a dremel and trimmed my alternator to fit them.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:51 AM
Boosted LT4
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any news? I'm curious how it has worked out. FYI I'm running a stock LT1 with LT4 conversion, vortech at 10 psi, and got 500 rwhp at 6500 ft.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:45 AM
LT1*C4
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

(click the youtube link to watch the video in HD)

Car's been up and running for a while now, but the tune still isn't quite dialed in yet. Greg (BlowerWorks) has been working on it on/off since last year trying to get it right. My schedule though, has made progress slow because I just haven't had the time to work on the car. So I apologise for the long delay in updating this thread.

I just finished installing a few new parts to solve an all together separate issue that came up recently - which had to be resolved before we could continue working on the tune.

Everything appears to be running well after replacing the plug wires, optispark, and switching out the old ribbon-cable on the Moates Emulator this weekend.

I had codes popping up and the car would stall out whenever I'd hit the gas. With the new parts, everything seems to be running properly again - so we can now focus on the tune again...

I've been having a part-throttle "stumble" with the car since day one after installing the supercharger. There were a few other minor drivability issues that popped up along the way, but all were eventually ironed out. All but the part-throttle stumble...

It only happens around the 2500rpm mark if I'm semi-aggressive with the throttle. If I drive slowly, gradually increasing the RPM, the car will run up to (and beyond) 2500rpm without a hitch. If I go wide-open throttle off the line, the car runs fine. Now if I'm at 2500rpm (or below) and I quickly push the gas pedal 3/4 of the way down, the car will stumble for a split second before taking off. It will kind of just "stutter" or "cut-out" for a split second before taking off. The car will go completely silent for that moment before roaring back to life and flying down the road. Very annoying.

After replacing my wires over the weekend I noticed that all 8 plugs were black. Definitely a sign the car's been running rich. I suspected this might be the cause of the stumble and seeing the plugs as black as they were, all but confirms it.

At the very least, now we know what to focus on with the next .BIN file.

Aside from the part-throttle stumble, the car runs great. It's a very different car now with the supercharger. So much more power and torque. The sound of the BV57 bypass valve just adds to the experience.

Above is a quick little videoclip of the car running. Nothing fancy, but it'll give you an idea what the final set-up looks and sounds like.

Now that we know where to focus on with the tune, I'm sure the car will be running 100% very soon. I will post some more video's then.

Last edited by LT1*C4; 08-19-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:00 AM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Great Thread. You did a great job!
Old 08-23-2014, 12:55 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LT1*C4

(click the youtube link to watch the video in HD)

Car's been up and running for a while now, but the tune still isn't quite dialed in yet. Greg (BlowerWorks) has been working on it on/off since last year trying to get it right. My schedule though, has made progress slow because I just haven't had the time to work on the car. So I apologise for the long delay in updating this thread.

I just finished installing a few new parts to solve an all together separate issue that came up recently - which had to be resolved before we could continue working on the tune.

Everything appears to be running well after replacing the plug wires, optispark, and switching out the old ribbon-cable on the Moates Emulator this weekend.

I had codes popping up and the car would stall out whenever I'd hit the gas. With the new parts, everything seems to be running properly again - so we can now focus on the tune again...

I've been having a part-throttle "stumble" with the car since day one after installing the supercharger. There were a few other minor drivability issues that popped up along the way, but all were eventually ironed out. All but the part-throttle stumble...

It only happens around the 2500rpm mark if I'm semi-aggressive with the throttle. If I drive slowly, gradually increasing the RPM, the car will run up to (and beyond) 2500rpm without a hitch. If I go wide-open throttle off the line, the car runs fine. Now if I'm at 2500rpm (or below) and I quickly push the gas pedal 3/4 of the way down, the car will stumble for a split second before taking off. It will kind of just "stutter" or "cut-out" for a split second before taking off. The car will go completely silent for that moment before roaring back to life and flying down the road. Very annoying.

After replacing my wires over the weekend I noticed that all 8 plugs were black. Definitely a sign the car's been running rich. I suspected this might be the cause of the stumble and seeing the plugs as black as they were, all but confirms it.

At the very least, now we know what to focus on with the next .BIN file.

Aside from the part-throttle stumble, the car runs great. It's a very different car now with the supercharger. So much more power and torque. The sound of the BV57 bypass valve just adds to the experience.

Above is a quick little videoclip of the car running. Nothing fancy, but it'll give you an idea what the final set-up looks and sounds like.

Now that we know where to focus on with the tune, I'm sure the car will be running 100% very soon. I will post some more video's then.
Data-logging I presume.

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharging an LT1 Corvette

Old 08-23-2014, 01:25 PM
LT1*C4
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by illenema
Data-logging I presume.

Yes, I've been datalogging the car throughout the tune and sending them to Greg to look at. Just finished sending another one 5 minutes ago after uploading the latest .BIN.

He (Greg) believes the black plugs are part of a start-up problem. Possibility a separate issue from the stumble. The BIN he just sent me, I was told, has a "big cut in Start-Up Enrichment vs. Coolant temp" - whatever that means.

When it comes to tuning and whats involved with it, you may as well be speaking Chinese to me. - I'll leave it to the experts...

Car doesn't seem to idle as rich now with the new BIN. The smell from the exhaust isn't nearly as strong so I definitely noticed a difference there...

Just awaiting to hear from Greg to find out what the next step will be.

Last edited by LT1*C4; 08-23-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:05 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Yes, I've been datalogging the car throughout the tune and sending them to Greg to look at. Just finished sending another one 5 minutes ago after uploading the latest .BIN.

He (Greg) believes the black plugs are part of a start-up problem. Possibility a separate issue from the stumble. The BIN he just sent me, I was told, has a "big cut in Start-Up Enrichment vs. Coolant temp" - whatever that means.

When it comes to tuning and whats involved with it, you may as well be speaking Chinese to me. - I'll leave it to the experts...

Car doesn't seem to idle as rich now with the new BIN. The smell from the exhaust isn't nearly as strong so I definitely noticed a difference there...

Your working with the best! Greg. Keep us informed

Last edited by illenema; 08-23-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:35 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Very informative, well put together thread! I just spent the last 2 hours reading every comment and examining all of your pictures! Bravo man! Excellent work!

Im sure Greg will get all your tuning buttoned up! The start up enrichment vs coolant temp is a big one! I had some issues there also and thanks to greg we got it very close!

I would like to move my radiator forward and free up some space also! Is there anyway I can get you to share those Dimensions and details so I can get dewitt to make me one too? All that free space is looking mighty nice about now considering how much stuff I have crammed under the hood with My D1SC and intercooler!

Quick Reply: Supercharging an LT1 Corvette