C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Supercharging an LT1 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 11:06 PM
LT1*C4
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Just got back from a test-drive after loading up the last .BIN Greg (BlowerWorks) sent me. I couldn't believe it at first. I kept thinking the dreaded "part-throttle stumble" - (which I've been experiencing since day one of the supercharger install) would rear it's ugly head again the next time I gave it gas, but it never did. It's finally gone. Nothing but, clean, smooth power delivery. Not a hiccup or stumble to be felt anywhere in the RPM range regardless of throttle input.

I'm ecstatic. Even after pulling into my driveway after an hour of driving, I reversed back out and went for another drive just to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

Car pulls like a champ (always did) - but more importantly, it drives as smooth as it did stock. Big thanks to Greg at BlowerWorks. One of the few guys still tuning these older cars and I'm very grateful for all his help getting this thing dialed in.

The next step from here - besides finally enjoying the car again - is the gaseous intercooling upgrade.

Been wanting to do that for a while but Greg insisted we figure out the tune with the supercharger first, before we got into the intercooling .

I've asked him to provide me with a proposal with a list of parts he feels would meet my needs.

I'm looking for a basic, no frills set-up. The pump, nozzle, lines, reservoir etc. - Just the components I NEED to get the system up and running. I want the money to go towards the important stuff, rather than any optional "add-ons" I don't really need. In other words, the very best pump, nozzles, lines etc. he can get for me.

Took a few pictures of the engine bay before I left for my test run. Everythings finally back together and running again. Will contine to update the thread as the intercooler set-up is decided on and later installed.

Name:  P9073381-001_zpsbf3bca02.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  137.7 KB

Name:  P9073379-001_zps6ed982fa.jpg
Views: 1491
Size:  143.7 KB

Name:  P9073385-001_zpsa79f4ab1.jpg
Views: 1459
Size:  179.3 KB

Originally Posted by smooth1990
I would like to move my radiator forward and free up some space also! Is there anyway I can get you to share those Dimensions and details so I can get dewitt to make me one too?

I'll try and get some measurements for you on the weekend. My original design (the one I first contacted Dewitts about building) was a simple "L" bracket set-up. One on each side of the radiator. They extended out past the sides of the radiator and slid inbetween the two frame rails. If you look closely, there are existing openings already in the frame right from the factory (at least there are in my '92) - The idea was to have the brackets welded to the radiator in line with the openings in the frame. Slide a bolt through each side and attach a nut on each of them to secure the rad in place.

It took Dewitts a couple month's to get back to me as it was during Christmas and they were trying to get out a bunch of other orders.

It wasn't cheap. I don't remember exactly how much it cost in total, but it was well in excess of $1200 by the time I added the 2 Spal Fans and custom shroud and that was only because I got it during their "New Years" sale. Otherwise, it would have cost even more. Shipping was extra. Hey, nobody ever said this was a cheap hobby.

When I finally received the radiator, I discovered Dewitts had altered the design. Rather than having the brackets extend "outwards" from the sides of the rad, to meet the frame rails, Dewitts instead, extended the actual length of the radiator itself, and welded the taps flush with the sides of the rad.

In other words, there is ZERO adjustability. The bracket design I'd sent them originally would have allowed me to bend the brackets to get a little more clearance (if needed) - in case my meaurements were off a tad (it's hard to get an accurate measurement between the frame rails due to their rounded edges, plus the fact that the frame rails themselves aren't perfectly square)

As luck would have it though (thank god) the rad managed to squeeze in between the frame rails with just a millimetre or two to spare. It's tight, but it fits. I lucked out big time there!

I'm not sure how close GM's tolerances were with these cars, so I'm not sure it would be such a good idea to give you the exact dimensions of my radiator, only to have it not fit in your car. Mine fits, but like I said, just barely. These are custom rads, so the last thing you want is to pay for a custom design and then find out it won't quite work. There would be no refunds..

Either way, I'll send you some measurements when I get the chance, but I would really recommend you take some measurements on your car, just to be on the safe side. You will see the existing openings in your frame rail and just measure the distance between them. Then the distance from the skid bars (where the new radiator will be resting on) to the openings on the frame rails. Then you'll know how high up to weld the brackets on the radiator in order for them to fit in-line with the holes in the frame rails.

I'll let you know either way.

Cheers!

Last edited by LT1*C4; 09-07-2014 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:36 PM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Awesome build!! Any dyno numbers yet?
Old 09-08-2014, 09:50 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad to see it on the road! Have been watching the progress from your first post.
How does that cust radiator cool compared to the stock unit.
The data logging works nice for you! Enjoy
Old 09-08-2014, 10:08 PM
LT1*C4
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by illenema
How does that cust radiator cool compared to the stock unit.
The data logging works nice for you! Enjoy
The Dewitts 2 core works amazing. Even without a front air-dam (car's way too low to run one) the radiator set-up is so efficient, neither of the two SPAL fans have EVER come on.

I remember after first installing the new radiator, I had the car idling for a good 20-25 minutes while I bled out all of the air from the system and topped off the coolant. It suddenly hit me that the fans had not yet come on. I checked to see if they were connected properly and they were. Didn't think much of it really. I just figured the larger capacity of the radiator just meant it would take a bit longer for temperatures to rise high enough for the fans to kick in. So I took it for a spin and the fans still hadn't come on. I checked again to make sure they were plugged in and they were.

Just to be sure, I plugged in my scanner and tested the fans and they both worked fine so I knew there wasn't a problem with them not working.

Would you believe in all this time (over a year now since I've installed it) the fans have never had to come on? Regardless of how hot it is outside or how long I've been stuck in traffic, it seems the car doesn't need neither the air dam or the fans to keep temperatures nice and cool. It's really pretty amazing when you think about it.

I'm sure the removal of the stock shroud and A/C condensor also helped a lot to. Much more air flow to keep things cool.

Originally Posted by FrankieD
Awesome build!! Any dyno numbers yet?
No dyno numbers yet. Not really sure I'm all that interested in finding out what they are either. I'm more concerned with how the car performs on the street, rather than the numbers it puts out while sitting stationary.

Last edited by LT1*C4; 09-08-2014 at 10:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BV85 (03-09-2017)
Old 09-08-2014, 10:10 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1*C4
The Dewitts 2 core works amazing. Even without a front air-dam (car's way too low to run one) the radiator set-up is so efficient, neither of the two SPAL fans have EVER come on.

I remember after I first installed the new radiator, I had the car idling for a good 20-25 minutes while I bled out all of the air from the system and topped off the coolant. It suddenly hit me that the fans had not yet come on. I checked to see if they were connected properly and they were. Didn't think much of it really. I just figured the larger capacity of the radiator just meant it would take a bit longer for temperatures to rise high enough for the fans to kick in. So I took it for a spin and the fans still hadn't come on. I checked again to make sure they were plugged in and they were.

Just to be sure, I plugged in my scanner and tested the fans and they both worked fine so I knew there wasn't a problem with them not working.

Would you believe in all this time (over a year now since I've installed it) the fans have never had to come on? Regardless of how hot it is outside or how long I've been stuck in traffic, it seems the car doesn't need neither the air dam or the fans to keep temperatures nice and cool. It's really pretty amazing when you think about it.

I'm sure the removal of the stock shroud and A/C condensor also helped alot to. Much more air flow to keep things cool.
That is pretty amazing. where do you live? Alasksa?

Old 09-08-2014, 10:18 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I remember after first installing the new radiator, I had the car idling for a good 20-25 minutes while I bled out all of the air from the system and topped off the coolant. It suddenly hit me that the fans had not yet come on. I checked to see if they were connected properly and they were. Didn't think much of it really. I just figured the larger capacity of the radiator just meant it would take a bit longer for temperatures to rise high enough for the fans to kick in. So I took it for a spin and the fans still hadn't come on. I checked again to make sure they were plugged in and they were.

I'm sure the removal of the stock shroud and A/C condensor also helped a lot to. Much more air flow to keep things cool.

No dyno numbers yet. Not really sure I'm all that interested in finding out what they are either. I'm more concerned with how the car performs on the street, rather than the numbers it puts out while sitting stationary.
That is great. I got all my stuff to fit with the stock radiator and fans, I installed indicator lights on the dash for each fan when it kicks in and off really interesting never gets above 205 in Vegas so its working.
I rearranged the wiring So low is 1 fan on high and high is both fans on high. So far so good! Enjoy
Old 09-19-2014, 06:18 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Awesome thread ! OP what kind of numbers or track times are you shooting for??
Old 09-23-2014, 01:47 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

I see the ASR is removed-Which throttle cable are you using, as my ASR is disabled and would like to remove it completely.

Great job!!

Thanks,
Steve
Old 09-26-2014, 12:15 PM
Street Lethal
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps, but fast to one person is not really that fast to another, and dyno numbers (resistance measure) and trap speeds help underline what is really what. Congrats on your build so far...
Old 03-08-2017, 05:11 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Any updates?

Quick Reply: Supercharging an LT1 Corvette