C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Switching to a single plane intake!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 11:11 AM
bogor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Switching to a single plane intake!

Time to start a new thread!
Since my last dyno test I have been thinking about next step. I reached 530rwhp at 5000rpms, the power however just stays at this level all the way to redline (about 6000). When looking at other high hp centri blower engines, the power seems to climb more linear. I have got several comments about my intake so replacing this will be this winter’s project. My old one is a shiny but probably quite restrictive SR setup with a lot of pipes!

Since I would like to keep stock appearance, a new intake will have to fit under the hood. This limits the options and one that others used quite successfully is the Edelbrock Victor E. They also offer a nice elbow that looked like a good fit.

It was not…

The elbow hit the fuel rail but also the hood if I put in a spacer. Also, I did not like the very sharp 90 degree bend that would be necessary to hook up the blower to the TB.

After playing with around with a lot of different ideas, I actually did manage to squeeze in everything under the hood (we are talking mm´s everywhere). This required a 19mm spacer and shortening of the elbow. .

However, after reading about the big test of sbc intakes in car Craft I´m having some second thoughts… It looks like the Accell EFI (the EFI converted Motown) intake also fit under the hood.
The Victor intake is not flowing very good (like 250 cfm) and the ports and runners are really small (and my trust in myself as an intake porter is not that great). This is with the FP 1206 gasket my head use.
The Motown flows about 300cfm and fits a Felpro 1206 right out of the box. Hmm decisions decisions..
Old 01-09-2014, 04:41 AM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I might have mentioned this before, but I'm a little confused why you're not using an intake elbow like this one;

http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/perform...ake-elbow.html

It would allow for a much easier coversion.

Also, you should research some companies that port the victor intake manifold to maximize flow.

http://www.j-performance.com

http://www.speierracingheads.com

http://www.abbottssuperflowport-poli...eSpecials.html

http://www.totalengineairflow.com
Old 01-09-2014, 05:20 AM
bogor
Instructor

The cost was alot higher for the sheet metal elbow vs the Edelbrock and I was originally hoping that modding the elbow was unneccesary.
Modifying the E. elbow add costs but I think it will still be less than the sheet metal one.
I have got outrageous cost estimates for professional porting here and shipping the intake overseas for porting (and back) will also be quite expensive (the cost of porting the intake in the US is about the same or more than the Accel intake + rails).

Last edited by bogor; 01-09-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:50 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bogor
The cost was alot higher for the sheet metal elbow vs the Edelbrock and I was originally hoping that modding the elbow was unneccesary.
Modifying the E. elbow add costs but I think it will still be less than the sheet metal one.
I have got outrageous cost estimates for professional porting here and shipping the intake overseas for porting (and back) will also be quite expensive (the cost of porting the intake in the US is about the same or more than the Accel intake + rails).
I understand completely, but your photos of the ports are considerably smaller than the gasket being used. With that said, MOST manifolds cost less than the cost of the labor involved in getting it ported.

The sheet metal upper intake is worth the added cost when you take into consideration the down time you're currently experiencing and the modifications and fabrications you've had to do.

I guess I'm at that point in my life that I go with what's shown repeated evidence of working and is straight forward. For this, you have to "pay to play". Let's say a total of $1,200-$1,500 investment at this point (with all the other components you've already paid for), to maximize the total package "isn't" too bad. Although, it's always fun to fabricate and develope your own package, it occasionally ends up costing just as much (trial, error, corrections, ends result).
Old 01-10-2014, 10:14 AM
bogor
Instructor

Took my Edelbrock E to a friend yesterday and compared it with his Victor Jr intake. I was under the impression the "E" was only a Victor Jr with injector bungs but realized these are two different castings. The carb pad height are the same as well as plenum floor depth but the runners is about 10mm higher on the "E". I have not been able to find any flow numbers (only for the Victor Jr) but considering the added runner volume vs the Jr it should at least be +250cfm.

I will probably portmatch and getting rid of the sharp edges/casting flash myself (dropping the Accel/motown intake). Having my friends professionally ported Jr intake combined with all the info in the links you provided MNSTRLT1 (Thanks!) gives me a some ideas how to do it.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:57 AM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

You're welcome for the help, I'm excited to see your progress.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:55 AM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm watching your blog with enthusiasm. I've been curious for quite some time on how a single plane could best a lt1/lt4 or l98 manifold when used for high end power. Of course, all of us 3 have quite a bit of boost added into the mix as well!
Old 01-12-2014, 12:57 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by qwiketz
I'm watching your blog with enthusiasm. I've been curious for quite some time on how a single plane could best a lt1/lt4 or l98 manifold when used for high end power. Of course, all of us 3 have quite a bit of boost added into the mix as well!
I wouldn't be surprised if 50 horsepower increase (modest estimate) is possible (over an LT1, LT4). In fact, this conversion is well documented in the f-body community. I just haven't reviewed it.

In the OP's post, I wouldn't be surprised if it would result in a power band shift (increasing upper RPM range) and resulting in 80-100+horsepower (depending on the current restrictions of his combination).
Old 01-13-2014, 03:21 AM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mnstrlt1
I wouldn't be surprised if 50 horsepower increase (modest estimate) is possible (over an LT1, LT4). In fact, this conversion is well documented in the f-body community. I just haven't reviewed it.

In the OP's post, I wouldn't be surprised if it would result in a power band shift (increasing upper RPM range) and resulting in 80-100+horsepower (depending on the current restrictions of his combination).
I totally agree. Shifting the power band up is huge with our type of blowers. I'd love a 7000 rpm engine setup; it'd help my belt slip issues!

For the OP, man, I have got to think that this would definitely help. The manifold choice is in question (I wasn't aware that the vic e was different) but I definitely am thnking of going that route eventually as well. Single plane with an elbow sounds really awesome.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:23 AM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

to the OP, taking out some of the 90's should help your blower discharge flow as well. All those 90's don't help.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:25 AM
Orr89rocz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What heads and cam? Single plane helps if heads and cam will feed it

Love my victor e. 1018 whp so far, seems pretty even cylinder to cylinder from what i could tell. Self ported with makita die grinder and summit racing burr. Quick and easy

Match gasket outline with marker and just open up slowly to match and carry that dimension in alittle ways into runner til it opens up. Runner has taper. Use piece of cardboard for a width gauge. Port matching is easy. Victor will flow fine

I seen significant gains with single planes over minirams on nitrous / na sbc and one test on a 396 lt1. Single planes out powered the others
Old 01-13-2014, 10:27 AM
bogor
Instructor

Originally Posted by mnstrlt1
I will put it on the same dyno as I used previously so there will be figures to compare but cannot really say when (realisticly speaking, prob months away).

Hi Orr, I've followed your impressive buildup at TGO and I has actually been curious if you made any mods of your E. Sounds like this intake will support my modest goals My heads are AFR 210 eliminator (street version, flows around 300cfm) and the cam is a HR 224/236, 114lsa and lift around 0.58 (in and ex).
Old 01-13-2014, 12:32 PM
Orr89rocz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cam will support more rpm than 5000 rpm peak so with better tuned runner length above 5000, closer to 6000's actually, you will see nice gains over 5000. Good gains under 5000 if the superram base wasnt not significantly ported as that will handicap the heads. Better intake flow of the E matched to 210 ports will not hurt the head flow as much so it should pick up everywhere
Old 01-13-2014, 01:04 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Orr89rocz
Cam will support more rpm than 5000 rpm peak so with better tuned runner length above 5000, closer to 6000's actually, you will see nice gains over 5000. Good gains under 5000 if the superram base wasnt not significantly ported as that will handicap the heads. Better intake flow of the E matched to 210 ports will not hurt the head flow as much so it should pick up everywhere
Exactly, his pre-singe plane was choking the potential of the rest of his hardware.

OP- looking forward to seeing the results, you'll be happier with the single plane.

Quick- the conversion is a little easier for us (if you want to retain the stock throttle body in the factory location). Also, because of the location of our supercharger outlet/bracket.

The Victor-E can definitely get it done, and it's already setup for EFI, but this doesn't meant you can't have your single-plane of choice machined/welded to accept individual fuel injectors.

Again, f-body guys have several hardcore single-plane options. Especially for track oriented cars.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:54 PM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 75 Posts

can the Victor-E be used on the LT4 . I'm currently running AFR 195 heads with an Edelbrock LT4 intake and am thinking of going to the Single plane if possible.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:13 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FrankieD
can the Victor-E be used on the LT4 . I'm currently running AFR 195 heads with an Edelbrock LT4 intake and am thinking of going to the Single plane if possible.
Bolt pattern might be slightly different (a machine shop should be able to weld in the existing bolt holes and drill the proper pattern for the LTx cars). You'll have to plug the distributor hole, and the coolant cross-over tube (the thermostat housing opening that traditional small blocks use). I'll try to source some LT-x specific single-plane intake manifolds. You will also need to verify the gasket you're using with you AFR heads, and insure that the intake manifold takes the same gasket (i.e. 1205, 1206, etc.)
Old 01-13-2014, 08:30 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

here is an example of a properly machined single-plane for an LT-x engine.

http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthread...e-Plane-Intake

Advance induction does offer a converted (for LTx) intake manifold, here is the link (go to the bottom of the page).

http://www.advancedinduction.com/LTX/AiLTxIntakes.php

intake with rails from Accel (Pro-Ram)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-74139/overview/

Professional Products also offers some affordable single-plane manifolds

http://www.professional-products.com...7&shopByPrice=

FINALLY- a very good thread of single-plane LT-x's

http://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-mo...lane-pics.html

Get notified of new replies

To Switching to a single plane intake!

Old 01-14-2014, 04:51 AM
bogor
Instructor

Since I´m waiting for getting access to the guys that are going to weld up the flange and mill the spacer I spent some time with the intake manifold. I will probably wait doing the porting until all welding, etc is done but to be prepared I got some silicone mould making material to have a look at the runners.
By mistake I got some strange grade that could not be poured so I had to force this dough like stuff into one runner. Not very good result but it was at least possible to get some measurements of the runner CSA. I trying to get hold of a silicone that could be poured into one intake channel of the head and also another runner (I now only have one of the short runners).

As seen in the pics, the runner is tapered both horizontally and vertically. The runner lenght is about 130 mm. I measured CSA of the runner at three positions; head entry, half way to the plenum and at the plenum.

At the head CSA is 13.1 cm2, half way its 15.8 and at the exit to the plenum its about 16.7 cm2. The opening of a 1206 gasket is 18.5 cm2 so it looks like the runners needs to be opened all the way to avoid bottlenecks. Well, its snowing outside and the car is in storage for about four more months so plenty of time…

Took some of the silicone stuff and manage to put it in the intake of the head. A lot of voids and airpockets but its again possible to see interesting things. Here is a side shot, the intake runner and the head intake line up pretty ok.

This is from the top, the outside radius looks ok but the inside radius not that good.

Last edited by bogor; 01-14-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:03 PM
precisionturbovette
Heel & Toe

Have you looked into the weiand 7547 intake? Wouldn't be hard to have injector bosses added. I am running it on my build and have a carb and a 4" tall hat on top of it.

Also here is a helpful link of a buddy of mine trying to get an elbow sorted out:

http://www.theturboforums.com/thread...=1#post1879075

Last edited by precisionturbovette; 01-16-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:05 PM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi Bogor ! I do not think you realize that 530 RWHP @ 5000 is INCREDIBLE !
greg

Quick Reply: Switching to a single plane intake!