C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Want to knock a tenth off my ET

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 10:17 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Default Want to knock a tenth off my ET

Took the Vette to the local drag strip last summer. First time. Wanted to see what it would do in street trim. Did NO prep other than put numbers on the window.
Best slip said 14.01 ET. (I'm at 1600 feet altiude) It was my last run of the night and the engine temps were up. All the previous runs the engine felt stronger but I would mess up: first run I got lost on the track and shut off about 200 feet before the finish...one run I went from second gear to first...one run I forgot to turn off the traction control...those sorts of things. The last run was the only "clean" run.

I do not want to increase engine power to achieve my goal of a 13-second run....I don't need any broken parts.
I'm thinking I can get there with three things:

4.11 gears (replacing 3.45's)
aluminum flywheel
drag radials

I'm asking you guys who have the experience if I'm on the right track. I want to get there in street trim; spare tire, jack, etc. in the car.
Will the DR's be that much help??
Old 02-27-2014, 06:16 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by rocco16
I do not want to increase engine power to achieve my goal of a 13-second run....I don't need any broken parts.
Why did you post this in Forced induction?

Originally Posted by rocco16
I'm thinking I can get there with three things:

4.11 gears (replacing 3.45's)
aluminum flywheel
drag radials

I'm asking you guys who have the experience if I'm on the right track. I want to get there in street trim; spare tire, jack, etc. in the car.
Will the DR's be that much help??
Based on your description of your driving, I feel that you can easily get your 1/10th with nothing other than more seat time. What was your 60' time? What was your Trap speed?
Old 02-27-2014, 09:50 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Forced Induction seems to have a high percentage of drag racers. But, they also don't seem to be online much.

60' was 2.170
Trap speed was 101.19
Old 02-27-2014, 10:32 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

O.K. You didn't post your car, but your profile says you have an LT4. You should be in the LOW 13's with that car. I've gone 13.75 with my stock LT1, and that was at 4500' elevation. Your 2.17 sixty is an area of low hanging fruit, and obviously the other driving errors that you made. You should be able to 60' in under 2.0 seconds. The .17+ saved there transitions directly to the end -some feel by a factor of 1.5 What ever the case, that is more than the tenth that you're looking for, right there.

I have found with my LT1 that the best method for launch is a clutch slip that lasts about 1.5 seconds, starting at about 4000 RPM, and going to WOT as soon as clutch engagement starts, then using the clutch slip to manage RPM. Complete hook up should put you at about 3500 RPM and you're off. I flat-foot shift right before the limiter (5850 in my car, not sure where yours is), and that produces great results in my car.

Do the driver mod. Your trap speed isn't too good. IS your car an LT4? What was the engine temp?

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 03-02-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:01 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
O.K. You didn't post your car, but your profile says you have an LT4. You should be in the LOW 13's with that car. I've gone 13.75 with my stock LT1, and that was at 4500' elevation. Your 2.17 sixty is an area of low hanging fruit, and obviously the other driving errors that you made. You should be able to 60' in under 2.0 seconds. The .17+ saved there transitions directly to the end -some feel by a factor of 1.5 What ever the case, that is more than the tenth that you're looking for, right there.

I have found with my LT1 that the best method for launch is a clutch slip that lasts about 1.5 seconds, starting at about 4000 RPM, and going to WOT as soon as cluthc engagement starts, then using the clutch slip to manage RPM. Complete hook up should put you at about 3500 RPM and you off. I flat-foot shift right before the limiter (5850 in my car, not sure where yours is), and that produces great results in my car.

Do the driver mod. Your trap speed isn't too good. IS your car an LT4? What was the engine temp?
Driver mod, you don't need to touch your car. My 93 LT1 ZF6 runs the 1/4 mile in the 13.5's like its child's play. I've ran a personal best of 13.38. Trap speeds are usually in the 102-105 range depending on DA (air temp,etc...). The track I run at (PRP) has a elevation of 1400' so its close to yours. I usually 60' in the 2.0 range. I've dipped into the 1.9's on street tires on my best runs.

I use a launch technique almost identical to Tom's expect I don't slip the clutch as much. I also don't flat foot shift, I lift shift, lots of practice makes it VERY fast shift however. It seems to work on these cars.

FYI, my LT1 is putting 246HP and 304TQ to the rear tire on a Mustang dyno. Which translates to normal and healthy LT1, if you have an LT4 it maybe down a few HP.

Seat time will pay more than mods at this point.

Last edited by 93Rubie; 03-01-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:23 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
FYI, my LT1 is putting 246HP and 304TQ to the rear tire on a Mustang dyno. Which translates to normal and healthy LT1, if you have an LT4 it maybe down a few HP.

Seat time will pay more than mods at this point.
You may be right. My car (LT-4) was dyno'd about 10K miles ago....at sea level....at 311 RWHP.

I don't put much stock in other people's ET's when comparing to mine; too many variables. Air, altitude, track, wind, etc.. I only compare to similar cars running on the same track the same night.

Too bad I don't have you and tom living closer; perhaps either of you could get my car into the 13's.

Get notified of new replies

To Want to knock a tenth off my ET

Quick Reply: Want to knock a tenth off my ET