C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Vortech pulley size question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 01:37 PM
LT1inaMGB
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Vortech pulley size question

I have an LT1 installed in my MGB project car and it has a '94 - '96 Corvette Vortech kit on it. The crank pulley is the 7" double row dampner that came with the kit and the blower pulley is a 3.33". The kit instructions say that the pulley it came with is a 3.12" and that would give 6-8 lbs boost on a stock LT1 engine in a C4.

I had already built my engine to be naturally aspirated before I got the blower kit so it has 11:1 compression due to the quench space being reduced to .040: by milling the block, ported heads, a 230/234 cam with 110 lsa, 1.6 rockers, a 54 mm throttle body, 1 5/8" shorty headers and a 3" very free flowing exhaust.

With the 3.33" blower pulley you would expect the boost to be somewhat less than the stock engine with a 3.12" pulley but it makes 7 lbs by 3800 rpm and 10 lbs by 4500 rpm and it is still climbing. Anybody have any idea why this is happening? I just ordered a 3.6" pulley to see if I can get the boost back to 6-7 lbs at 6000 rpm.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:45 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi MG - got your phone message - call me Monday if you want to discuss. Your boost numbers seem about right. Remember boost pressure is really a back-pressure measurement. For example a restrictive exhaust will result in higher boost pressures yet you are making less power ! It's all about mass airflow (gms/sec) !
When you install the 3.6" I think that will calm you down. Then just use a very conservative spark curve and maybe some water injection. greg
Old 08-31-2014, 02:34 AM
LT1inaMGB
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BlowerWorks
Hi MG - got your phone message - call me Monday if you want to discuss. Your boost numbers seem about right. Remember boost pressure is really a back-pressure measurement. For example a restrictive exhaust will result in higher boost pressures yet you are making less power ! It's all about mass airflow (gms/sec) !
When you install the 3.6" I think that will calm you down. Then just use a very conservative spark curve and maybe some water injection. greg
Thanks Greg. I'll probably wait til Tuesday to call and let you enjoy Labor Day.

Get notified of new replies

To Vortech pulley size question

Quick Reply: Vortech pulley size question