C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Charge

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 09:00 PM
jseremba
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Charge

So a friend of mine told me about the vortech superchargers. and now I am pumped about charging my 1984 crossfire. want to keep the crossfire manifold, I already ported it. I am thinking that supercharging is easier than turbo, correct.
One question superchargers use intercoolers? I thought that a turbo needed an intercooler because exhaust gas heated the turbo and you should cool to increase the density. But, a supercharger is belt driven. Why intercool.

thank you
Old 09-19-2014, 09:09 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

It's been done, the #1 issue is getting it enough fuel

Old 09-19-2014, 01:09 PM
jseremba
Drifting

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
It's been done, the #1 issue is getting it enough fuel

I have already ported the intake. I was thinking of going to larger injectors and a 1985 fuel pump. Do you know how the car in the picture performed.

Thank you
Old 09-19-2014, 03:14 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The simple answer is that compressing air increases the temperature of the air. There are plenty of cars with superchargers and turbos that run with or without intercoolers.

Blowerworks has a write-up on intercooling low boost engines. They use Gaseous intercooling.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:05 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by ANTI VENOM
The simple answer is that compressing air increases the temperature of the air. There are plenty of cars with superchargers and turbos that run with or without intercoolers.

Blowerworks has a write-up on intercooling low boost engines. They use Gaseous intercooling.

You can put a blower on a car quite easily, Go with a kit that has been specially designed for your year corvette.

DO NOT INSTALL A BLOWER YOURSELF unless you have purchased a tried and proven kit, you can easily destroy an engine with trail and error. Too lean and you melt a piston in no time.

you either go intercooled in which you run a pretty much standard tune (with TPI engines)

Or blow straight to the engine and use a methanol/water injection pump to cool the charge down.

I have a vortech supercharger and intercooler however a big intercooler will mean no a/c in summer or you will overheat.
You need quite a big air to air intercooler or you will choke the engine and limit performance.

I have a inline high volume fuel pump and vortech FMU (which is a restrictor on the fuel return line) to increase fuel pressure in relation per psi boost. Forcing more fuel through the injectors.
It works great i have had a blown vette for more than 7 years, however the auto transmission and half shafts do not last. You need to spend quite a bit to beef up the auto trans to cope with a blower.

I am currently looking into the methanol/ water injection system, as i hate the drop of h/p during summer when i bypass the blower.

Note you will need to modify the cross member and fit a larger crank pulley, if you want to run more than 6 psi boost depending on the step up gearing of the blower.

Here is a pic of the setup on my 85, now running 12 psi boost with a fresh 383 engine i fitted a year ago.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:56 PM
jseremba
Drifting

Originally Posted by gerardvg

You can put a blower on a car quite easily, Go with a kit that has been specially designed for your year corvette.

DO NOT INSTALL A BLOWER YOURSELF unless you have purchased a tried and proven kit, you can easily destroy an engine with trail and error. Too lean and you melt a piston in no time.

you either go intercooled in which you run a pretty much standard tune (with TPI engines)

Or blow straight to the engine and use a methanol/water injection pump to cool the charge down.

I have a vortech supercharger and intercooler however a big intercooler will mean no a/c in summer or you will overheat.
You need quite a big air to air intercooler or you will choke the engine and limit performance.

I have a inline high volume fuel pump and vortech FMU (which is a restrictor on the fuel return line) to increase fuel pressure in relation per psi boost. Forcing more fuel through the injectors.
It works great i have had a blown vette for more than 7 years, however the auto transmission and half shafts do not last. You need to spend quite a bit to beef up the auto trans to cope with a blower.

I am currently looking into the methanol/ water injection system, as i hate the drop of h/p during summer when i bypass the blower.

Note you will need to modify the cross member and fit a larger crank pulley, if you want to run more than 6 psi boost depending on the step up gearing of the blower.

Here is a pic of the setup on my 85, now running 12 psi boost with a fresh 383 engine i fitted a year ago.

Thank you for the advice. Great pictures.
My car is a 1984 Crossfire. I will probably not exceed 6 pounds of boost. Although I have been told that the stock engine can handle 10 pounds. Thank you I will keep this in my Supercharger file.

Get notified of new replies

To Charge

Quick Reply: Charge