C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine
Old 03-06-2015, 02:50 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General How-Tos
Print Wikipost

85 carbed turbo vette budget build

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 09:07 PM
turbocvette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 85 carbed turbo vette budget build

Just thought I would share with you guys my project for the winter as well as get some opinions for the build.
Here is what I got so far with prices
85 vette roller with transmission $1000
Targa top rebuild service $250
got decent slicks off cl for $30
kirkey seat like new cl $40
ebay turbo kit single gt45 $498
quick fuel blow through 650 carb $670
summit cam mild with 114 lsa $61
single plane intake $140 ebay
new hv summit oil pump $25
new rings $35
sbc 350 2 bolt everything looks good .30 over fairly fresh looking inside cl $100
New timing chain $30 summit
water meth single stage kit $279 ebay
2200 stall converter $150 ebay
holley black fuel pump, lines, regulator etc $230
turbo plenum $100 spectre
new starter $50
Water pump with new pulley $40
HEI dist $45 ebay
Gasket set $35

still have to figure out some pulleys and brackets and some loose ends but I should have most other stuff needed to complete laying around.
Just thought I would share a pic today and get the ball rolling would like this project to be ready for spring time.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:17 PM
Jay7199
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sweet, Look forward to see the motor installed. I had thought about doing something like this for ever to my 84 but a built LT1 swap is what i ended up with.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:33 PM
turbocvette
Instructor

If any one can help me out on the pulley set up would be great! Im looking for a pic preferably an 85 of all the pulley brackets mounted to the front of the engine.

Last edited by turbocvette; 10-08-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:19 AM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by turbocvette
If any one can help me out on the pulley set up would be great! Im looking for a pic preferably an 85 of all the pulley brackets mounted to the front of the engine.

Do you have all the 85 brackets?
Old 10-09-2014, 08:22 PM
turbocvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by bill mcdonald

Do you have all the 85 brackets?
Thanks for the pic!!! What was confusing me is the bracket in my hand
also the bracket with the tensioner has a gap between the water pump when I flush it up with the head so I guess I will just use some spacers but it is making me think I have the wrong pump or did the 85 vette have a spacer or special bolt? I still don't know what the bracket in my hand is for. 1 wire alternator?
Old 10-09-2014, 10:49 PM
esham
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

The bracket that you are holding looks like it is the smog pump bracket. I'm not sure what the shiny piece of metal hanging off of it is.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:48 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

this help?

Old 10-10-2014, 05:19 PM
Svante
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool build! Are you going intercooled?

/Svante
Old 10-11-2014, 05:27 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by esham
The bracket that you are holding looks like it is the smog pump bracket. I'm not sure what the shiny piece of metal hanging off of it is.

Take those bolts out and remove the piece of metal...

Last edited by bill mcdonald; 10-11-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:34 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by turbocvette
Thanks for the pic!!! What was confusing me is the bracket in my hand
also the bracket with the tensioner has a gap between the water pump when I flush it up with the head so I guess I will just use some spacers but it is making me think I have the wrong pump or did the 85 vette have a spacer or special bolt? I still don't know what the bracket in my hand is for. 1 wire alternator?
The water pump on my 90 had studs/bolts. So you could tighten the water pump down, and slide the bracket over that stud part, and the tighten a bolt to hold it down.
These brackets on the l98 are like puzzle pieces. one goes over the other, plus all the braces so they dont bend and snap.

Last edited by bill mcdonald; 10-11-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:53 PM
turbocvette
Instructor

Thanks for the help guys the motor is on hold waiting for parts to come in Also trying to score some cheap fitting and fuel system on ebay, so it may be a week or 2 before I get a deal that I like. The time I have now is going into the famous $50 paint job using rustoleum! I will keep you guys posted. I did the jambs today with the spray can and I am rolling the car with lots of wet sanding between coats. I am not looking for a perfect paint job on this car and as we all know most c4 vettes value is just not that high these days so I don't want to get crazy with it. I did some test rolling the paint with the 50/50 mix and honestly I am in shock right now how good it appears See pic below after minimal wet sand and buff!!!!! I still cant believe it lol
As for the intercooler question, no I am not going to use one I am going fairly low boost 8lbs and the motor is stupid low compression like 8.2:1 or something like that so I may push it to 10lbs with water meth possibly str8 meth. If I ever do decide to go intercooled I would buy a water/air intercooler as they are getting fairly cheep on ebay. I would go further with this project but I want it ready for the spring so time is holding me back. Il post more pics between coats in the next week or so. Right now I got a ton of small petty bondo work to do and that trim piece that separates the top from the bottom is a pain in the ***.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:43 PM
turbocvette
Instructor

Here is a pic of the first coat! its not bad but its not good either! This is the famous $50 paint job. Going to lay another coat tonight then wet sand a few hours tomorrow.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:30 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How did it turn out? It didn't look too bad in the pic after the first coat.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:18 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 771 Likes on 553 Posts

I'd like to see a close picture of the RH (turbo) exhaust manifold if you get an opportunity.

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2014, 08:09 PM
turbocvette
Instructor

Will get u guys pics very soon!! The rest of the parts will be here tomorrow so I will get pics and info of how it all goes in. Paint for $50 is shocking!!! It is very time consuming il prob have 40-60 hours in it total. First few coats are scary but after the first wet sand it got way better. My neighbor paints cars for a living and thought I sprayed it if that tells you anything. Motor is going in this weekend!
Old 10-21-2014, 09:11 PM
turbocvette
Instructor

Still not done more wet sanding and painting.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:15 PM
turbocvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by 69427
I'd like to see a close picture of the RH (turbo) exhaust manifold if you get an opportunity.

Thanks!
Got the motor in today and the tube that holds the wastegate needed to be cut. left side fits fine. I was going to try and heat it up with a torch and bend it but I personally think the single cut and a weld is the better choice in this one. I will post some pics tomorrow. There was another option that would require cutting the k member just below the upper control arm inside the engine bay. Most weld shops should only charge $30-$40 for weld on the manifold. Def a decent fit so far. And as for ebay cheap headers I have heard of them cracking but have yet to have one that has cracked on me. Also nov 1st they will have 180 day!!!! dispute claim process so if you get them on quick enough and have problems you can return them for 6 months!

Get notified of new replies

To 85 carbed turbo vette budget build

Old 10-25-2014, 06:50 PM
turbocvette
Instructor

turbo does not clear the hood although if you wanted to do some minor fab work you could get it to fit by lowering the motor or cutting the manifold down a bit. The only thing I needed to do to get this to work and fit was cut the waste gate tube. I am just going to cot a hole in my hood. The carb and carb hat will for sure stick out of the hood but for all you tpi guys a little modification and 2 welds on the manifold you could get it all to fit under the hood. Here are some pics.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:22 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Cool project!!

Any updates?
Old 11-25-2014, 09:40 PM
turbocvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Cool project!!

Any updates?
yes it is running and somewhat driving. Here is a pic for you guys. I slammed it and purchased some newer ws6 ta wheels with tires and they are a perfect fit!! got them for $150 and tires are like new. I just painted them with some wheel paint. I will wan people though this car is very low!! I like it though. Also purchased some ebay seats new with free shipping for $214 and purchased a used aem water meth kit for $250 that has the nicer controller. Then for timing I just stuck a little button head screw in the dst to limit the advance. I am at 10 degrees base and it has a total right now of 22 degrees. I will be trying to get this to the dyno shop this winter and will post hp numbers. I found anther guy that literally has nearly the same setup and running 700hp and changes bearings practically every 20 passes or so and the motor just wont let go!! I plan on running 10-15 lbs and keeping street tires only on it. We estimate car weight right now to be 2800 lbs and I am not even done yet. I am going to use the rear hatch as a mold for a 3 layer fiberglass or carbon fiber hatch. I will let u guys know the weight difference and also going to order a lexan windshield or build one. So far this is becoming one of my cheapest vs coolest projects I have had!! I am getting tied up trying to build a cnc table right now so its taking a lot of my extra time.

Quick Reply: 85 carbed turbo vette budget build